100% Percent Brett C. Keg Conditioning/Bottle Conditioning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasper

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before I tried googling but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I just kegged my first 100% percent brett pale ale. Its about 5 months old and I threw my priming sugar and fresh Tahoma hops into the keg.

So the question is when it comes to a brett only beer does it follow a typical conditioning schedule of three weeks like a sacch conditioning? Or will it take longer than that? I know brett is considered to be slow but does this necessarily hold true when its the only yeast pitched in high quantitys? I did not pitch any other yeast and dont want to chill it down before it has properly carbed in the keg. Thanks.

As an aside has anyone ever messed with tahoma hops? What are your thoughts? This is my first experience with them and am excited to taste. Its the only hop used throughout the beer.

I did a brett c berliner weisse. kettle sour > boil > brett c primary. it fermented for about a week and then i let it sit for a couple more then bottled with 2.5 volumes of sugar. the bottles fully carbonated but it took about 4 months.

Hey thanks for the reply. I guess I should just pitch a sacch strain if its going to be four months out. No point in waiting that long.

So I just popped the keg to throw in a little champagne yeast and sure enough the brett is chewing through the priming sugar. There was a loud hiss and when I pulled the lid it started volumizing out of the keg trying to equalize. I quickly pulled the lid tight again and left it alone. So I can say in my experience Brett C only beers will prime relatively quick. Perhaps there is a sacch infection. Theres no real way to know but I can say I am super careful with cleaning regimens. I regret popping it now for I lost some c02 and some of the precious hop aroma from the dry hopping. It sucks but theres no going back now.

Back