$10 Thermapen Knockoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[...]And FWIW my thermapen has started to not turn on sometimes when I fold and unfold the stick. Not sure if something got inside it or what, but I'm half afraid it's not going to last much longer.

fwiw, that happened to ours when the original battery was on its last gasp...

Cheers!

You get what you pay for. I haven't used it for brewing yet but walking through the house it takes at least 1 minute to level out. I just went from house to the basement where its freezing and it took close to 5 minutes to go from 65 to 38. It gets within 3 or 4 deg fast but then takes forever to level out.

You get what you pay for. I haven't used it for brewing yet but walking through the house it takes at least 1 minute to level out. I just went from house to the basement where its freezing and it took close to 5 minutes to go from 65 to 38. It gets within 3 or 4 deg fast but then takes forever to level out.

Good to know. I was considering ordering one. Maybe I should spend the tenner on a six pack instead.

It should be faster in liquid.
WOW Good call!! I just tested in tap water and took 4 seconds tested with an Internet stopwatch. Tested 3 times with the same temp and same time. I'm back to loving this thing. Might be the best $10 homebrew investment I've made

The slightly different version I ordered works ok but its slower... took about 8 seconds to stabilize when reading the temp of a cup of coffee..

The problem I have had with the knock offs is when I brew in the winter, the outside temp can be well below freezing, and the water produces “steam” as low as 165*. between the slower acting readout because of the cold, combined with the “steam” on the thermometer it causes the thermometer to shut off and reset.

Got tired of it happening, so for just a few bucks more I got a lower end thermoworks thermometer. Have not had a problem since. I could have bought a thermopen initially for the amount I have in to lower end thermometers.

Brew day today. First time using the thermometer.
I calibrated in crushed ice water and it was 32
Calibrated at boiling and it was 212..hit 213 but I'm fine with that.
stable temps around 4 seconds.
Overall this pen is a winner. I'm going to buy another one or 2 for cooking and to have a spare...I say buy it if your on the fence

One year update.

I've used this for BBQ, Oven, Smoking meat, homebrew...everything.

Still dead on accurate. Best $10 I've spend in homebrew.

Had one of the cheap ones.... Was accurate at freezing temp, one degree off at boiling temp and 4 to 5 degrees Celsius off within normal mashing range.....

.... A desaster I discovered when checking with an old-school non electric roast thermometer.

NEVER GO CHEAP ON A THERMOMETER

I now own a thermapen and suddenly, I can have a full bodied beer, if I want to.

My Thermapen gave up the ghost after about 5 years. I am too lazy to check into any warranty by Thermoworks. So I tried one knock off. It seemed accurate but was really slow to settle out. I then bought the Lavatool Javelin. It is very close to as fast as the Thermapen. It is accurate, and it costs 1/3 the price. It is now past 2 years of service. If this one lasts another 2 years before dieing, it is another Javelin for me.

Had one of the cheap ones.... Was accurate at freezing temp, one degree off at boiling temp and 4 to 5 degrees Celsius off within normal mashing range.....

.... A desaster I discovered when checking with an old-school non electric roast thermometer.

NEVER GO CHEAP ON A THERMOMETER

I now own a thermapen and suddenly, I can have a full bodied beer, if I want to.
This all wrong. Not sure what thermometer you were using but this one works flawlessly...and its cheap. Not to mention the 1000's of positive reviews. So cheap pens...dirt cheap for that matter work just fine. Without knowing my hunch is its the exact same guts as a thermapen with a cheaper plastic housing....either way it works just fine...for $10

As far as being able to have a full bodied beer. Thats nothing but crap...sorry bud. I've brewed at temps all over the place and can never tell the difference in mouthfeel. If you want to change up your "fuller bodied beer" chance up the recipe. Here's a test that was done at 147 and 161 (I believe) Nobody could tell the difference in mouthfeel

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/12/the-mash-high-vs-low-temperature-exbeeriment-results/

Last edited:
This all wrong. Not sure what thermometer you were using but this one works flawlessly...and its cheap. Not to mention the 1000's of positive reviews. So cheap pens...dirt cheap for that matter work just fine. Without knowing my hunch is its the exact same guts as a thermapen with a cheaper plastic housing....either way it works just fine...for $10

As far as being able to have a full bodied beer. Thats nothing but crap...sorry bud. I've brewed at temps all over the place and can never tell the difference in mouthfeel. If you want to change up your "fuller bodied beer" chance up the recipe. Here's a test that was done at 147 and 161 (I believe) Nobody could tell the difference in mouthfeel

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/12/the-mash-high-vs-low-temperature-exbeeriment-results/

You don't understand. Of course there can be the odd one that works in a pile of cheap stuff, but there is a higher percentage in this pile that doesn't and it is unpredictable in which way it doesn't work correctly and it is unpredictable when it starts not to work properly anymore.

Thermapen is thoroughly tested, each single one within a certain temperature range. This plus the guarantee gives you security.

A messed up thermometer can ruin multiple brews, and then you need to buy again.... Doesn't pay off imo.

I used a couple medium fast digitals and they generally always had trouble with the steam/water. I also really like a longer probe to measure all over the mash, not just the top -- I know if you stir to homogenize temps you should be ok. So I like my chef alarm with long probe, with timer, with high and lo alarm for heating to strike and cooling to whirlpool temps.

I just wish it came with bluetooth for remote reading, and auto-handling of the manual propane flame adjustment, and transferring of hops to kettle at the right time would be nice...

Another man's $0.02.

My Thermapen gave up the ghost after about 5 years. I am too lazy to check into any warranty by Thermoworks. So I tried one knock off. It seemed accurate but was really slow to settle out. I then bought the Lavatool Javelin. It is very close to as fast as the Thermapen. It is accurate, and it costs 1/3 the price. It is now past 2 years of service. If this one lasts another 2 years before dieing, it is another Javelin for me.
This one levels off in like 3 seconds. More than fast enough. If it craps out today I got my $10 worth...but its still going strong.

I take online reviews with a grain of salt. You have to read them to find out what is really going on. For example I read reviews on a particular paint product I was interested in. It had 3 stars. Most of the ratings were either 5 stars or 1 stars in almost equal numbers. In reading the 1 star reviews I determined that most of the bad reviews were due to the improper use of the paint.

As to the thermometers. IMO, the cheap ones are just as good as the expensive ones. The differences would be warranty, small degrees of better accuracy with the more expensive ones, and with the cheap ones a better chance of getting one that is not accurate.

This one levels off in like 3 seconds. More than fast enough. If it craps out today I got my $10 worth...but its still going strong.

Agreed, my Lavatools Javelin is about the same. A little more expensive, had good reviews and if I get anything over 2 years of service, I am ahead dollar-wise of my purchase of the Thermapen.

You don't understand. Of course there can be the odd one that works in a pile of cheap stuff, but there is a higher percentage in this pile that doesn't and it is unpredictable in which way it doesn't work correctly and it is unpredictable when it starts not to work properly anymore.

Thermapen is thoroughly tested, each single one within a certain temperature range. This plus the guarantee gives you security.

A messed up thermometer can ruin multiple brews, and then you need to buy again.... Doesn't pay off imo.
I understand perfectly...its 10 bucks. I bought it, tested it for a full year and it works perfect. Something you havent done...but your judging it..Buy the most expensive thermometer on the market...doesnt bother me none.

It's $12.99 now. But if you get one that is accurate (seems highly likely), and it is fast enough for you. I could easily justify going cheap. For the same money you could buy 6 or 7 of the cheap ones. My Thermapen only lasted about 5 years so I would get the same out of only 2 of the thermometers linked at the start, saving $53 in the process. I could brew two batches with the savings.

Just as thier can be the "odd one" that arent dead accurate.

Honestly I dont doubt your right in fact there likely is a higher percentage of these that arent 100% accurate to the degree.. I intend on testing the one I just got just as I did with my other one which checked out fine but that said, To me I would still rather purchase and go through testing a few different cheaper ones than spend $70+ dollars on something that cost less than $2 to manufacturer and be taken advantage like that. I dont need the instant speed... few more seconds doesn't bother me for what I need it for.

Just as thier can be the "odd one" that arent dead accurate.

Honestly I dont doubt your right in fact there likely is a higher percentage of these that arent 100% accurate to the degree.. I intend on testing the one I just got just as I did with my other one which checked out fine but that said, To me I would still rather purchase and go through testing a few different cheaper ones than spend $70+ dollars on something that cost less than $2 to manufacturer and be taken advantage like that. I dont need the instant speed... few more seconds doesn't bother me for what I need it for.

I see, I pay 35 here in the UK for the standard tharmapen, wouldn't pay 70 myself.
Problem with my cheap one was that it was good at the beginning of the temp range and relatively good at boiling temperature but way off somewhere in between.

This made it tough to figure out that it was about four to five degrees off within mash temperature range. This will not happen with a thermapen.

I see, I pay 35 here in the UK for the standard tharmapen, wouldn't pay 70 myself.
Problem with my cheap one was that it was good at the beginning of the temp range and relatively good at boiling temperature but way off somewhere in between.

This made it tough to figure out that it was about four to five degrees off within mash temperature range. This will not happen with a thermapen.
I totally understand what your saying.. It really depends on the use and the accuracy of each unit. with ridiculously priced things like rolex watches and designer handbags you get more clones and knockoffs and most of the people who buy these are willing to accept the very likely possibility that the performance and quality may not be the same but at the same time they arent willing to pay for the real deal. for me I bought a $9 thermometer thats accurate enough for my needs but takes 5 or 6 seconds to show a stable accurate temp vs 2 or 3. Same can be said for a cheaper sportscar vs something that goes from zero to 60 in 3 seconds really..

Back