10 gallon split w/diff. yeasts; one carbed one not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
I guess some yeasts are slower than others when it come to carbing. I did a brown ale split batch with 5 gallons getting Wyeast 1945 and another 5 gallons getting WLP575 washed. Wyeast OG was 1.062 and FG was 1.010. WLP OG was 1.061 and FG was 1.006. Both bottled after 3.5 weeks at the same time. Both got 2.5 oz. of dextrose in solution. Both had same autosiphoning, mixing, and bottling techniques. Everything was exactly the same except for the og and fg's of both.

After 1 week my previous brown ale with 1945 was carbed up. Same with this batch but the wlp is just flat. I think this may be just the caveat of belgian yeasts, slow and lazy?

is one of them a higher flocculating yeast so that one of them would have had more in suspension when bottling meaning more for carbing? i could be totally wrong since Im a noob...

The Wyeast 1945 is medium-high floc. The WLP575 is medium so there would be more suspended yeast in the WLP575 which is apparent in the glass. Don't know why. Above all there is plenty of yeast in both since I only did just over 3 weeks primary and bottled taking in plenty of yeast from the bottom of both carboys when siphoning. Even the most careful siphoning will yield some suck-up from the top of the yeast cake. ( if your not letting a couple beers sit behind as waste)

Back