10 gallon recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
If I’m brewing a 10 gallon batch of an old 5 gallon recipe do I just double everything or is it not that simple? I did this with an Irish Red recipe of mine and the 10 gallon batch tastes different. Obviously there would be minor variations in temp and other controls that would change the taste a bit. But it seems like there is less body. Anyways, thanks for the help.

If I’m brewing a 10 gallon batch of an old 5 gallon recipe do I just double everything or is it not that simple? I did this with an Irish Red recipe of mine and the 10 gallon batch tastes different. Obviously there would be minor variations in temp and other controls that would change the taste a bit. But it seems like there is less body. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Temp variations will certainly change the body, but yes, it's that simple, just double everything.

If all grain, you may consider a slight decrease in efficiency. Also, I am not sure about hop utilization, but it may be different also.

If all grain, you may consider a slight decrease in efficiency. Also, I am not sure about hop utilization, but it may be different also.

Depending on his equipment and process, he may experience an increase in efficiency. He won't know either way until he brews it.

There's no reason why hop utilization would change.

Back