10-10-10 style poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style should we use for 10-10-10?

• Wee Heavy

• Belgian IIPA

• Belgian Strong Golden

• Double Bock

• Belgian Triple

• Imperial Porter/Baltic Porter

• Something sour

• we don't need no stinkin' style

• Leave it to Castro

• You forgot the only style I want to brew, so I am taking my marbles and going home!

Results are only viewable after voting.
my first choice: some kind of porter
2nd: some kind of ipa
3rd: some kind of stout
4th: wee heavy

I've never done one of these group 'Epic Brews'...what are the 'rules'? I ask because a Belgian Golden Strong and a Tripel are almost the same beer (per the BJCP style guidelines) and that Stone Vertical Belgian IPA posted earlier is essentially an over-hopped BGSA/Tripel. Some BGSA/Tripels are more hoppy than others so it seems there is a fuzzy distinction between the three. All three fit under the 'Big/Golden/Belgian' umbrella.

But if everybody is supposed to follow the exact same recipe...nevermind.:eek:

But if everybody is supposed to follow the exact same recipe...nevermind.:eek:

Past swaps the rules have been everybody should follow the same spirit of the recipe. Inevitably we will have PM versions, malt subs, hop subs, different processes, different yeast, etc etc. but I do think if the style is a BGSA and you make a 80 IBU dry hopped version it would not quite be in the spirit.

That said, I'm just as likely to do that too.. and make another version with Brett, and brew a third batch true to the recipe as the swap beer, and then send all three to my recipients because that'd be truly epic. :fro:

Past swaps the rules have been everybody should follow the same spirit of the recipe. Inevitably we will have PM versions, malt subs, hop subs, different processes, different yeast, etc etc. but I do think if the style is a BGSA and you make a 80 IBU dry hopped version it would not quite be in the spirit.
Ay, gotcha. I was strongly considering a decoction mash and I'm sure everybody won't want to do that (I'm not 100% sure I wanna do it).

The poll does have the BGSA and Tripel as seperate brews and per the BJCP guidelines they are almost the exact same beer...one is a little more fruity than the other. But having never tasted any of these beers I'm going purely on BJCP.

this seems very belgium weighted

Not to be a d!ck.....but these swaps are for paying members only. If you are trully interested in this brew, please pony up and support the site. HBT would love to have you.
:mug:

this seems very belgium weighted

I think the purpose of the poll was to allow the memberd to decide democratically what the style shoukld be. If a majority (or plurality as the case is here) voted for a Belgian-style, then it stands to reason that the talk of the style would also go that way.

It's certainly not my first choice, but I'm down to go with the flow.

Not to be a d!ck.....but these swaps are for paying members only. If you are trully interested in this brew, please pony up and support the site. HBT would love to have you.
:mug:

if i "pony" up now, my membership will expire by the time the swap comes around :mug:

plus, im not going to pony up just so i can be part of a swap if its going to be a belgian

I don't really think that there should be an exact style, but indeed a few rules.
To include meads !!!
Here is just an Idea !!!!

at a minimun
10% ABV
10 months aged
SRM of 10
IBU's of 10

these are just ideas
this would open it up to just about anything for the 10-10-10 brew

the brewer would be required to send a recipe and a brew log for the brew sent !

-Jason

I don't really think that there should be an exact style, but indeed a few rules.
To include meads !!!
Here is just an Idea !!!!

That would definitely be interesting, but I don't think it would work well for this kind of swap.

In the past, the annual brew series has been set up that everyone brews the exact same recipe on the same day, and swaps it a year later. People are able to see how differences in brewing techniques, along with some minor variations, contribute to a beer.

If it was a random grab bag kind of swap it would get REALLY complicated. You would have to map out who got what brews, because not everybody is going to want mead / cider / prison hooch / whatever. When everone is making the same recipe, you have a general idea of what you're going to get in the mail.

Why have an ideal?

Why not make is a "blind" swap where you have no expectations
really! honestly! why make this a "you must do this " swap
Lets throw caution to the wind and see what show at your door step !
just set a few simple guidelines and let it ride,
The brewers can post their recipes (if they would like)
Really it is not different that a secret santa style swap !

and everyone can Brew on 10-10-10

You free like beer, I free like beer
I like to brew beer , You like to brew beer !

and so on

-Jason

Why have an ideal?

Why not make is a "blind" swap where you have no expectations
really! honestly! why make this a "you must do this " swap

Because that is intention of this swap. There are other swaps on occasion, but the XX/XX/XX series have always been a standard recipe that people exchange so they can see the difference in brewing styles and simply to have a "10/10/10" official recipe.

There will be plenty of other opportunities to do a "blind" swap, or you could set one up yourself.

Because that is intention of this swap. There are other swaps on occasion, but the XX/XX/XX series have always been a standard recipe that people exchange so they can see the difference in brewing styles and simply to have a "10/10/10" official recipe.

There will be plenty of other opportunities to do a "blind" swap, or you could set one up yourself.

I agree, and I think most past participants have found this to be a great way to run the swap. A recipe is decided on for the xx/xx/xx swap and a suggested brew date. It is expected that everyone participating will brew within a month of the suggested date. Then after sufficient time for the beer to ferment and get bottled a swap is set up between paying members. Everyone sends and receives from/to 3 other people. The packages must include at least the equivalent of 4 bottles of homebrewed beer and atleast 2 bottles must be from the agreed upon recipe.

It seems that most people send 6 bottles with 3 or 4 of them a sampling from their other brews. Some over achievers like Sacc ;) send 12 bottles and make the rest of us look bad. :D

Craig

Fair enough,

I will STFU and wait for the final vote to come dawn as to what style is going to be brewed

thank you for listening to my idea

-Jason

if i "pony" up now, my membership will expire by the time the swap comes around :mug:

plus, im not going to pony up just so i can be part of a swap if its going to be a belgian

All existing Supporting Member's memberships will expire as well.

There's more to HBT to support than just the swaps.

I agree, the xx/xx/xx series have some significance and it seems a larger following. I like the idea of some standards to these brews. Having said that, I see a lot of discussion that ALL of these series brews should be 'epic'. That is great and all and very aspiring, but at some point the epic-ness has diminishing returns setup by our own enthusiasm to satisfy a numerical alliteration: 9/9/9 - 9%ABV, 90IBUs; 10/10/10 10%ABV, 100IBUs; 11/11/11 11%ABV, 110IBUs, etc

I am all for the 10/10/10 to have some significance. It is after all an anniversary brew. We should celebrate. I just speak with a little caution that the 11, 12, 13, methodology doesn't get forced into an unrealistic standard.

Did you just propose a 13th month?:ban:

I was under the impression that the 10/10/10 was a 10th Anniversary brew and was referring to annual brews as opposed to months. If you are the superstitious type, you could propose we skip the 13th anniversary and just skip from 12 to 14. :p

Edit: I read "Anniversary" in the recipe discussion thread and think I made the assumption it was the 10th Anniversary. My apologies if this isn't the case.

I was under the impression that the 10/10/10 was a 10th Anniversary brew and was referring to annual brews as opposed to months. If you are the superstitious type, you could propose we skip the 13th anniversary and just skip from 12 to 14. :p

Edit: I read "Anniversary" in the recipe discussion thread and think I made the assumption it was the 10th Anniversary. My apologies if this isn't the case.

It happens every year but I think the point is to brew a beer to be opened and tasted on 9/9/9 as in september 9th 2009, and this year's being on october 10th 2010. After 12/12/12 we run into a problem.

I still am not convinced HBT should be run in a democratic way. Tyranny of the masses and all that...

OK, here is the deal. Vote for the style you want for our 10-10-10 brew. This poll will run for 2 weeks. The POLL results will settle the style issue and THEN we will move into recipes. (Unless somebody has a better idea of how to settle this thing - we are a democracy after all!)

2 weeks was this past Monday. Looks like BGSA has it.

12/12/12 isnt a problem guys...

The wolrd is ending on 12/21/12 anyhow. No need to go past that.

If the Stone 08.08.08 recipe is used I will already have some aged for almost 2 years. Just bottled it this past week after brewing 3 months ago. I figured I'll try one in about 4 weeks.

Back