#1 PET Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdann87

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I found, at my local supermarket, a few 5 gallon #1 PET bottles. They were filled with the distilled water i am using for a brew. Looking through past posts, it appears that they should be okay to use, especially for secondary fermentation. The stoppers i have for my regular carboys actually fit these perfectly, so it would be awesome if they worked.

So i've read through a couple of past threads on this issues, but I havent really seen a post where anyone posts their results, or a final conclusion as to wether it worked out well of not.

Has anyone actually used them with any success, and should i be okay to brew small batch lagers in them?

Thanks

If you are not storing beer in them for a long time (say longer than 2 months), any food grade #1 or #2 containers are probably OK.

They do allow oxygen to exchange through their surface, so beer may deteriorate with long-term storage in them.

Sounds good to me, I have access to growlers, so that was going to be my main source of storage.

Any idea of the number of batches they last, on average before you start to get odors/off flavors from them.

Back