1 month so far.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
So its been at 35 deg for 35 days so far. Its a Berwers Best Oktoberfest. I had it in Primary for roughly 17 days at 56-58 deg! did a D-rest for 2 days at 75%. No extra yeast was used, just the dry yeast sachet that came with the kit. 24hrs then vigorous fermentation when pitched & cooled down to 56-58 deg. then racked to secondary carboy . Question would be. How long would one wait for the secondary in the 35 deg fridge, with such a low yeast count (should have used 2 sachets) can i leave this "lager" for say.. 2 or 3 more months? will this hurt anything? after a month.. it did seem to clear up quite a bit.. but i'm more interested in taste than looks.

thanks,
Dave

oktoberfest.jpg

Yeast count shouldn't matter come lagering time - what was your OG and what was your gravity after d-rest?

I forget the rule of thumb when it comes to lagering, but really the OG will tend to determine how long you want to lager for. I did a Bock with an OG around 1.067 that I lagered for only a month, and it was still a little rough around the edges. After another month or so on tap, it got noticeably better - much more clean and crisp.

Assuming your fermentation was done when you started lagering, your OG should tell you how long you need to lager for. A month is definitely a good place to start - 2 definitely won't hurt if you have the patience for it. Unless you're doing a crazy big Oktoberfest, going beyond 2 months I think you'll be into the realm of significantly diminishing returns...

sorry for that... OG was 1.056 .. gravity at 75% was 1.022.. and final gravity after d-rest was 1.013. this being my first lager, i want to take good notes. but being a kit, and not all grain.. i also didnt know if there would be a difference in lagering times.

TFTR.
Dave

Back