1 Gallon comparison batche-Whirfloc and Rehydrated Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
I have started doing some 1 gallon test batches on my stove. Single base malt and just enough Magnum hops to bring me to about 12 ibu. First two are 2 row and vienna, 2 lbs of grain and just over 8 qts of water for my stovetop brew in a bag approach.

Batch on the left has whirfloc added to it, batch on the right nothing.

Batch on the left had a re-hydrated half packet of s05, batch on the right half a packet sprinkled on top.

You cant tell from the pictures, but the batch without the re-hydrated yeast took a full 24 hours to show visible signs of fermentation. The batch with the re-hydrated yeast took approx 16 hours. I haven't taken any gravity readings yet.

imagejpg2_zps88abce86.jpg

imagejpg1_zps220cd403.jpg

I know people will criticize this saying not everything was controlled for, and you are correct. My goal originally was just a comparison of base malts and I happened to forget the whirfloc so I decided to add it and the re-hydrated yeast for the second round.

Edit--fixed pictures. Please ignore typo in title.

I think it's interesting how the yeast (trüb) settled differently in both.

Back