1 gallon bucket with spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something you may think about getting is a Mr. Beer kit. I believe the little barrel thing is 2 gallons. The kits usually run 30-40 bucks, plus you'll get some kits to try. It being after christmas, you may even get some on clearance. If not, I am sure you can just pick up the barrel for dirt cheap on craigslist or ebay.

I got mine at Home Depot, white HDPE #2 in the paint section. It is 2.25 gallons, perfect for a 1.75 gallon batch with room for krausen.

Or ask for a 2 gallon bucket at a local supermarket, in the bakery section. They get icing in them, and they throw them away. They'll give it to you if you ask. They are food grade. I got a 2 gallon bucket and a 3.5 gallon bucket.

You have to add the spigot yourself.

Or ask for a 2 gallon bucket at a local supermarket, in the bakery section. They get icing in them, and they throw them away. They'll give it to you if you ask. They are food grade. I got a 2 gallon bucket and a 3.5 gallon bucket.

You have to add the spigot yourself.

That's what I did. I got mine from the WalMart bakery for a dollar and the spigot from Northern Brewer. Drill a 1" hole.

Wondering what y'all did to get the smell out of the buckets? Got 6 of them that smell like fruit and icing? Any ideas?

They get icing in them, and they throw them away.
6.jpg
33.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
34.jpg
a31.jpg

I soaked my icing bucket with oxyclean, rinsed and then baking soda. Even though there's a slight odor in the bucket, it's not likely to transfer to the beer.

Back