1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until I get a fermentation fridge I use one of these. Easily fits my three 1.25 gallon LBM Bubblers, and when I brew 5 gallon batches my 7.9 gallon Speidel fermenter fits as well.

I was actually thinking about just getting a small mini fridge from Craigslist. I have a 3 gallon fermonster container for fermentation so I wouldn’t need anything too big. You like the cooler bag? Do you just keep switching out ice packs? How many ice packs do you usually go through?

I was actually thinking about just getting a small mini fridge from Craigslist. I have a 3 gallon fermonster container for fermentation so I wouldn’t need anything too big. You like the cooler bag? Do you just keep switching out ice packs? How many ice packs do you usually go through?

I like it but I'll eventually pickup another fridge or freezer to use, the time just isn't right right now. Until then the bag is doing me fine. One thing I like about the cooler bag is when it's not in use I can fold it up and stick it on a shelf in the garage.

I use a bunch of 1.5 liter Trader Joe's plastic water bottles that I freeze. How many I use depends on how much I'm fermenting. When I've got 5.5 gallons in my 7.9 gallon plastic Speidel fermenter I typically start out by swapping out 3 frozen water bottles every 12 hours. This will easily hold temps around 65-67° during active fermentation. After things slow down I back off to 1 or 2 bottles, and then finally ditch the bottles completely and just let it rise to room temperature.

When I have one Little Big Mouth Bubbler in there one frozen bottle switched out every 18 hours keeps active fermentation around 64°, (not thinking I mistakenly put in three frozen bottles on my first one-gallon batch and overnight the temp dropped to 52° within about 7 hours). When I ferment using two LBM Bubblers one ice bottle keeps them around 67°

When I need to ferment below ambient temperature, I also use an ice chest with water for my Little Big Mouth Bubblers and two gallon food grade pails. Some additional resources:
With my cool basement (55-ish in the winter), I'm also learning to vary my yeast selection to "brew with the seasons".

I have been using an insulated water bath with 4-5 liter batches. It works very well for ale beers when you need a 6X-70F gradients over 3-6 days at typical room temperature and the water volume is ~10 X the volume of fermentation. No need to cool it down by any means during the fermentation (no ice etc). But you can replace some water If ambient temp gets high. Next time I'll brew in 2 x 5.5 liter vessels simultaneously. 1,5 gal size is getting a bit annoying now that the recipes are already refined. I need to get more bottles for maturation & drinking, too..
IMG_20181116_170234073.jpg

For those using frozen water bottles I would suggest this "Ice Extender". I thought it sounded hokey but it works great and the bottles are refrozen after it eventually melts so I have a regular stream of bottles to use which is much less frequently. I started using it on extended hunting trips and now use it in my roto-molded ice chest fermentation chamber. I have 4 gallons of Altbier sitting at 52 degrees right now. Follow the directions closely on volumes when mixing at first. It expands into a gel.

https://www.amazon.com/TBK-Industri...=ice+extender&qid=1555939949&s=gateway&sr=8-2

What are your guys’ solution to controlling your fermentation temps?
In the past, my fermenter was just a basic 2 gallon bucket. The lid had 2 holes with grommets inserted to hold an airlock and a thermometer. I filled up an ice chest with water to just below the level of the wort in the fermenter. During the winter, I would use an aquarium heater. I would set the temperature 68 (lowest setting). During the summer, I just froze several water bottles. Ambient temperature will dictate how many bottles you put into the ice chest. This is a labor intensive because temperatures can vary quickly. I have since adapted SSbrewtech's FTSs to my bucket. Now I just set the temperature and check out the frozen water bottles or inserted the heater if needed into the ice chest that feeds the FTSs.

This is a labor intensive because temperatures can vary quickly.

MMDV (my mileage did vary :)) on this one.

My basement has a "stable" ambient temperature - it rises and falls with the seasons - and doesn't change quickly. If I choose to ferment above or below ambient temperature, it's a couple of minutes twice a day for a couple of days to maintain the desired temperature. For me, that's not labor intensive.

Honestly, I love this mini-fridge option. I didn't even have to do any modifications on it to fit my 3 gallon Fermonster. I got the fridge on Craigslist for 40$ and the controller for 36$. The fridge is the perfect size to fit in my small patio closet as well!

Sounds like a good score. Mini fridges are great for small batches. Ever since I got mine for my one gallon and 3 gallon batches, I feel the quality of my beer has gone up. Being able to control fermentation temperature is awesome. I don't know the size of your fridge or a fermonster, but I can fit 2 3gallon glass carboys in mine.

I have the 64 and it's been nothing but trouble, and unfortunately uKeg's support has been terrible. My 64 has been at their repair facility (has a leak) for the last few days now.

I've heard that many people have had issues similar to yours. I got lucky with mine, I've filled it a half dozen times since this past Christmas and it has been flawless so far. My wife really likes it and wants to get another to carbonate other things that could be fun for her as a non-drinker and my daughter. Hopefully the 2nd one is as good as my first.

Sounds like a good score. Mini fridges are great for small batches. Ever since I got mine for my one gallon and 3 gallon batches, I feel the quality of my beer has gone up. Being able to control fermentation temperature is awesome. I don't know the size of your fridge or a fermonster, but I can fit 2 3gallon glass carboys in mine.
What size mini fridge do you have? There's a couple colleges near me and I imagine I should be able to score a mini fridge on Craigslist from a graduating senior.

What size mini fridge do you have? There's a couple colleges near me and I imagine I should be able to score a mini fridge on Craigslist from a graduating senior.

At least for me I use a 3.4? Cubic foot mini fridge. I know for a fact it’s not the 4 by 4. It perfectly fit a 3g Fermonster - I slightly bent the freezer tray in the middle. I also took out the door insert, but honestly I’m regretting it since it added a lot of insulation.

This is the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/Danby-Design...ull&tag=homebrewtalk_skimlinks_replacement-20

I did have to bend down the freezer and I cut out the door inserts as well. It will hold 2 3 gallon glass carboys on the bottom shelf, or one bucket with out the shelf and I can't remember how many but I think for sure it will hold 3 one gallon carboys. Might be four but I can't remember and I don't have my notes with me at work.

Anyone tried making a single gallon of the cream of 3 crops recipe? Or know if it scales down to a single gallon well? I'm debating that being one of my next brews, but limited to what I currently have on hand ( trying to liquidate inventory before buying more ). I might be about to squeeze out a second gallon, and have it slightly lower alcohol, but I'd need to split into two jugs and pitch different yeasts.

Anyone tried making a single gallon of the cream of 3 crops recipe? Or know if it scales down to a single gallon well? I'm debating that being one of my next brews, but limited to what I currently have on hand ( trying to liquidate inventory before buying more ). I might be about to squeeze out a second gallon, and have it slightly lower alcohol, but I'd need to split into two jugs and pitch different yeasts.

I’ve done it many times. It’s a very easy recipe to scale down!

I use liquid yeast so yes, I tend to make a tiny vitality starter in the morning of a brew day to make sure my yeast is well fed and ready to rock. It's probably not really necessary most of the time but I'll see signs of fermentation within just a few hours this way and vigorous fermentation by the following morning.

I figure out what I need using mrmalty, suck out what I need from whats stored in a mason jar with a large catheter tip syringe and squirt it into about 250-300ml of wort and put it on my stir plate for about four hours.

If one of my strains is getting low or old, I'll make a new 1 liter starter with what I have to replenish my supply.

Do you guys create starters for your small batches? I’m thinking with such a small batch 1-3 gallons you wouldn’t need one, right?
I brew 1.25 gallon batches and I don't make a starter, at least not for the four batches I've done so far. I've just pitched a 1/2 pack of dry yeast, which seems to work fine.

Do you guys create starters for your small batches? I’m thinking with such a small batch 1-3 gallons you wouldn’t need one, right?

Not usually. If using dry yeast, about a third of the package is usually good enough.

I've been harvesting my liquid yeast and reusing it. Use Mr. Malty to figure out how much to use. A few months back, I was making a 3 gallon batch and found a mason jar of yeast in my beer fridge that was about 6 months old I believe. I did make a starter for that to bring it back to life for that batch.

If you are using any recipe builder (I like Brewer's Friend), it will tell you how much liquid yeast you need to use for your size batch based on the date of the yeast. For a small batch and a fresh liquid yeast, you may be good to go without a starter.

Third to a half of dry yeast here as well. Started pitching slurry at times as well, depending on inventory. I’d like to use more liquid yeast, but I’m unsure how to properly store new, opened yeast so I generally harvest from larger batches.

I’d like to use more liquid yeast, but I’m unsure how to properly store new, opened yeast so I generally harvest from larger batches.

For opened liquid yeast, just make a starter with what you don't use. When it's done, cold crash in the fridge and then decant most of the wort down to about 300-ish ml and pour it all into a sterilized (boiled water or pressure cooker) short mason jar and throw a silicone airlock on it and store it in the back of your fridge.

Thanks for the tips! I’m hoping to get a dedicated basement fridge for storage and what not. The wife frowns upon my ever growing “yeast section” of the kitchen fridge. But that process sounds simple enough. Pretty similar to harvesting, I suppose. Guess I’m worried about a massive overpitch with a liquid packet. Might need to find myself a measured dropper syringe.

Oh, and thanks for that airlock link. Never seen those before. I had a partially closed jar tip and leak out a few months ago. Almost lost all fridge space after that haha.

I currently do 1-3 gallon batches and would like to start harvesting my yeast. I usually keg my brew and immediately do a batch to replace it the same day. I spend so much on yeast packets so why not save money?!

My questions are:
1. If I'm harvesting my yeast the day of, or the day before, do I have to make a starter?
2. What's the best way of harvesting my yeast? I've heard to wash it multiple times, and others say I could just wash it once.
3. How do I pitch the yeast? Does it matter if I add a trub/water?

I currently do 1-3 gallon batches and would like to start harvesting my yeast. I usually keg my brew and immediately do a batch to replace it the same day. I spend so much on yeast packets so why not save money?!

My questions are:
1. If I'm harvesting my yeast the day of, or the day before, do I have to make a starter?
2. What's the best way of harvesting my yeast? I've heard to wash it multiple times, and others say I could just wash it once.

1)no need for a starter, check out mrmalty.com for how much yeast to use.
2)leave a small amount of beer when you remove the beer from your fermentor to keg, swirl and dump in a jar or two. No need to wash.
3)add some yeast to fermentor prior to oxygenating wort. Pour off the old beer from your jar prior to pitching. If you limit trub into the fermentor to start with you will have less trub to worry about. Mrmalty has an option to adjust for trub.

My questions are:
1. If I'm harvesting my yeast the day of, or the day before, do I have to make a starter? That soon no starter would be necessary
2. What's the best way of harvesting my yeast? I've heard to wash it multiple times, and others say I could just wash it once. I don't wash. I just swirl what's left in the carboy and pour it into sterilized 8 oz mason jars.
3. How do I pitch the yeast? Does it matter if I add a trub/water?I use Mr. malty to tell me how much to use. Pour off most of the old beer in the mason jar, shake it up and either a)guestimate how much to pour into the wort or b)use a syringe to get an exact amount.[/QUOTE]

I saw an thread on here about bag vs basket. It got me thinking about the "oversized" bag I am using for my BIAB brews. I was thinking about using a false bottom to keep the bag off the bottom and push the grain to the center to help with stirring during the mash. I really have seen any ill effects (at least to the bag). I have a dome false bottom. I thought about flipping it over so the point is touching the bottom and then the bag hopefully will rest in the concave part of the bottom. This really shouldn't add any volume to the pot. I have a 12 quart pot for my 1 gallon BIAB batches. I am curious to know if anyone else does a 1gallon BIAB and what size bag they use if they have a similar size pot.

I use a Home Depot 5 gallon paint strainer bag in a 12 qt pot for small BIAB applications. It has worked fine. I am not sure the false bottom is particularly important. I think the idea may be the result of over thinking. The bottom of the pot should not be able to get much over boiling temperature as long as there is liquid in the pot. A little stirring should suffice if you are heating with grain in the pot. I typically like to add heat once during the mash process as the smaller volume of water cools faster.

I use a wilser bag and a 5gallon pot. I do 1-2.5gaklon batches for biab. I’m debating getting a smaller bag for my small pot (3gallon? Maybe slightly less)that I use for extract 1gallon batches.

My questions are:
I know this doesn't address your original question of washing yeast but it may not need to. Have a look over at brewunited.com. Under utilities you'll find a online yeast calculator that will allow you to build a starter bigger than you need for your current batch, brulosophy suggested to overbuild by 100 billion cells. If you have a stir plate already this will allow you to pitch a portion of the starter and save the overbuilt volume for your next brew with zero trub/hop matter mixed in. If you try it let me know what you think

Cheers
Tony

I use a Home Depot 5 gallon paint strainer bag in a 12 qt pot for small BIAB applications. It has worked fine. I am not sure the false bottom is particularly important. I think the idea may be the result of over thinking. The bottom of the pot should not be able to get much over boiling temperature as long as there is liquid in the pot. A little stirring should suffice if you are heating with grain in the pot. I typically like to add heat once during the mash process as the smaller volume of water cools faster.
I just did a spot check and don't really see it worth while try using an inverted false bottom. I wanted to know if there was a more form fitting bag because the bag is really loose in the pot and I am not sure if I am stirring all the grain. That's why I was interested in the bag vs basket article. My numbers match my recipe, so I will just deal with the loose bag.

Now I want to work on my own immersion chiller coil such as the one used for SSbrewtech's FTSs. I would like to brew another batch of beer (most likely a pale ale that uses my leftover hops that won't be used in an upcoming beer).

I wanted to know if there was a more form fitting bag because the bag is really loose in the pot and I am not sure if I am stirring all the grain. QUOTE]

Look up Wilser BIAB. He'll custom make a bag based on the dimensions your kettle. I've got 4 bags from him. One for my 2.25G pot, my 4 G pot, my 5G pot and my 10 G pot. Great product from a great guy and he ships them out fast.

I did my first hop sampler batch in this fermenter based on a container from Walmart. It worked great...and it is so cute! The container itself is around $14, so not dirt cheap. It was pretty easy to drill for the spigot and airlock/stopper. The lid has a gasket and seals nicely. Up the the underside of the lid, it holds about 1.5 gals, so it should be good for about 1 gal of finished beer (this batch was 3 qts of water, no-boil). I had to use two gaskets on the outside to get the spigot to seal, but my son is going to 3d print me a curved washer (saddle washer) that should help.

View attachment 614163

can you please post a link to this vessel on walmart's site. or if its not online, could you post what its called

thanks

Back