1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Low carbonation does not sound like it was contaminated with wild yeast or bacteria, but if that changes over time to over carbonated then maybe.
Well I may have found out why my beer has a sour tasted. I went to rack my IPA to a secondary and I saw a bunch of stuff floating on top. There is also a opaque film covering the beer. I believe I saw the same floaters on my red ale. Well I think I will no longer be using this specific bucket. I am pretty good with cleaning and sanitizing. I soak the bucket with a cleaner overnight and fill the entire bucket with Star San. Still sort of thinking the acid malt was behind this since its around a year old (vacuum sealed).

Still sort of thinking the acid malt was behind this since its around a year old (vacuum sealed).

There are sufficient bacteria on any malt to sour a batch of wort. Take for instance the fact that you can make Sauergut by inoculating a volume of wort with raw uncrushed grains.

Sauermalz itself is hardly more of a culprit than any other malt, especially if it was store in a dry place and sealed.

Well I may have found out why my beer has a sour tasted. I went to rack my IPA to a secondary and I saw a bunch of stuff floating on top. There is also a opaque film covering the beer.

This sounds like a more likely smoking gun.

Well I may have found out why my beer has a sour tasted. I went to rack my IPA to a secondary and I saw a bunch of stuff floating on top. There is also a opaque film covering the beer. I believe I saw the same floaters on my red ale. Well I think I will no longer be using this specific bucket. I am pretty good with cleaning and sanitizing. I soak the bucket with a cleaner overnight and fill the entire bucket with Star San. Still sort of thinking the acid malt was behind this since its around a year old (vacuum sealed).

If your acid malt(or any malt) came into contact with the boiled and cool wort that could cause trouble. Being in the mash then boiled should not cause problems.

If that is a plastic bucket I would retire it. Should give what ever else that came into contact with the red ale a extra good cleaning too. Racking canes and transfer tubes are cheap, I would retire those as well.

Well I think I will no longer be using this specific bucket. I am pretty good with cleaning and sanitizing.
Depending on how cheap you are, there are a few other options available for sanitizing (UV light, iodopher, boiling water or bleach) that will kill things StarSan doesn't get.

If your acid malt(or any malt) came into contact with the boiled and cool wort that could cause trouble. Being in the mash then boiled should not cause problems.

If that is a plastic bucket I would retire it. Should give what ever else that came into contact with the red ale a extra good cleaning too. Racking canes and transfer tubes are cheap, I would retire those as well.
Yes, I am replacing my bucket, lid and cleaning sponge. Going to clean the heck out of funnel, spigot and coil (SSBrewtech FTS) I use for temperature control.

Ive done about eight or so 1G jugs in recent months, most following the same recipe lines (1-1.25lb DME, small steeping grains, hops the only real difference, 1/3 to half pack of us-05 yeast, fill to the same line) and my most recent one has fermented waaaay differently than the rest. Usually it would be active for about 3-4 days, then slowly fizzle out and do its thing. This one was super active for 2-3 days, then started to slow up, then absolutely took off late morning yesterday to the point where I pulled the airlock and used a blow off. It is still bubbling pretty fiercely through the blow off, and the jar of sanitizer has gotten pretty murky (how often/when should I change this water?) from the Krausen. Is this simply a byproduct of the nighttime temperatures getting more mild in my area? I've only just started to attempt to control temperatures, and I'm curious if this will be a new regular experience ( I'll need to buy more hose...) as I'm able to keep temps steadier.

Well, I am pretty impressed with this uKeg, from Growlerwerks, and with my latest 1-gallon brew: an Earl Grey Tea Pale Ale.

I have one of these too! The uKeg 128 in copper, my father in law gave it to me for Christmas and I absolutely love it. Mine has worked flawlessly and I've had it filled probably 6 or 7 times, typically I bring home two growlers from the local brewery and fill it up myself since "by law" they can't fill a vessel that's larger than 64oz. I've had beer in mine for up to 3 weeks and the last glass has always been as fresh as the first. The uKeg's aren't cheap but they're pretty killer.

I've attempted home brew in it as well but as I learn things along the way, I prefer bottles...and I don't like tying the uKeg up for weeks waiting for beer to condition if I don't have to.

Here's my process when I brew one gallon batches, (actually closer to 1.25 gallons). Like you I'm also fermenting in the 1.4 gallon Little Big Mouth Bubblers. I bought a smaller siphon from my LHB shop and I siphon into a 2 1/2 gallon food-safe bucket I picked up at Lowes. I drilled a hole in it and installed a spigot. I have a two or three inch long hose coming off the spigot and a bottling wand attached to the other end of the small piece of hose. I rack to the bucket (no sugar at this point). Using a tip I picked up from @TwistedGray I use a sanitized funnel and measuring spoon to add between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp of table sugar (depending on style), to each empty bottle. I rack the beer on top of the sugar, usually getting 10 to 12 bottles per batch, and then cap the bottles.

I haven't really had an bubbling issues with the siphon as long as I keep it fully submerged. Have you tried a different siphon?

get a standard racking cane and cut to size for your small fermentor. You can use some of the cut off part as the bottling wand.

I put a sanitize glass pipette(any sort of straw like thing will work) into the transfer tube and start a siphon. I remove the pipette after beer is well down the tube but before beer gets to the end of the tube. Allow a little beer to leave the tube then Pinch off the tubing. Hold the tubing and install your bottling wand. Pinch the tube to stop flow between bottles.

edit:this requires sugar be pre-measured and put into the bottles

I put bottling spigots on my fermenters.

Thank you all for you feedback and ideas! I haven’t had much of a chance to check back in on this but I have learned some things in the past month, these being the formative days of my brewing journey.

The shorter racking cane idea is golden and something that I’m going to do. Since my original post explaining that I was getting tons of air in my siphon, I’ve transferred a couple more batches (one into my uKeg which is easier by far than bottling) with pretty good success. Part of it was getting comfortable with the racking cane and learning how to get it going without introducing air into the stream. I intend to shorten the cane with hopes of easier and better performance, as suggested, as well as employing my wife to help me as a second set of hands would make a huge difference as has also been suggested. It’s a lot to handle for one person.

Since my last post I’ve also experimented with different fermenters and invested in some different equipment to try out. I have a 2 gallon batch of Black Ale in a 3 gallon FastFerment that’s ready to bottle any day. Once this is out, I intend to fill it back up with a batch of bourbon barrel porter. One little big mouth is also full of hefe that's coming along nicely, so I'll get to test out my shortened racking cane on this bugger in a couple weeks. I also purchased a 3.5gal Ss Brewtech Mini Bucket to play around with that’s waiting on my doorstep as we speak. Some of the aerated beers that I bottled anyways have actually turned out pretty dang good so I’m excited to see how things work out with the next few batches now that I’ve worked some things out.

I can’t say enough about how much I love this forum and this particular thread, what an awesome resource for new brewers just starting out in this hobby.

Brian.

Since my last post I’ve also experimented with different fermenters and invested in some different equipment to try out. I have a 2 gallon batch of Black Ale in a 3 gallon FastFerment that’s ready to bottle any day. Once this is out, I intend to fill it back up with a batch of bourbon barrel porter. One little big mouth is also full of hefe that's coming along nicely, so I'll get to test out my shortened racking cane on this bugger in a couple weeks. I also purchased a 3.5gal Ss Brewtech Mini Bucket to play around with that’s waiting on my doorstep as we speak. Some of the aerated beers that I bottled anyways have actually turned out pretty dang good so I’m excited to see how things work out with the next few batches now that I’ve worked some things out.

Brian.[/QUOTE]

I also have the Mini Bucket. I use it to brew either a 1.5 or 2.5 gallon batch. I lose to close a half gallon to trub. I keg this batches. I also use the FTSs to regulate fermentation temperatures.

I am really digging these "1 gal" fermenters (they have about 1.5 gals of total room...some 3/4 gal hop sampler batches going now). The containers are from Walmart (around $14 each) and they were easy to drill for the stopper and spigot. The very edge of the picture shows a glimpse of a fermenter using a 2 gal stainless pot from Walmart that did not turn out as well as I had hoped...but did make me realize that I want to ferment in clear fermenters.

20190321_210620.jpg

I am really digging these "1 gal" fermenters (they have about 1.5 gals of total room...some 3/4 gal hop sampler batches going now). The containers are from Walmart (around $14 each) and they were easy to drill for the stopper and spigot. The very edge of the picture shows a glimpse of a fermenter using a 2 gal stainless pot from Walmart that did not turn out as well as I had hoped...but did make me realize that I want to ferment in clear fermenters.

View attachment 618569

I’d like that post twice if I could. Once for the fermenters and again for the azacca hops.

Those are really cool! I also love being able to watch fermentation through a clear container, that's one of the things I love about my little big mouth bubblers. I keep them under a big Home Depot moving box to block out any light, but checking on them each day as they bubble away always gives me a sense of satisfaction. The stainless mini bucket I have won't offer that same visual satisfaction that's for sure. Very cool fermenters and extra points for creativity.

I have one of these too! The uKeg 128 in copper, my father in law gave it to me for Christmas and I absolutely love it. Mine has worked flawlessly and I've had it filled probably 6 or 7 times, typically I bring home two growlers from the local brewery and fill it up myself since "by law" they can't fill a vessel that's larger than 64oz. I've had beer in mine for up to 3 weeks and the last glass has always been as fresh as the first. The uKeg's aren't cheap but they're pretty killer.

I've attempted home brew in it as well but as I learn things along the way, I prefer bottles...and I don't like tying the uKeg up for weeks waiting for beer to condition if I don't have to.

I have the 64 and it's been nothing but trouble, and unfortunately uKeg's support has been terrible. My 64 has been at their repair facility (has a leak) for the last few days now.

I force carbonate in mine so there is no need to wait weeks for the beer to condition. Just buy the ball lock cap for it, and you should have good, drinkable beer in about 2-4 days.

I will usually fill the uKeg and then bottle the rest - works perfectly for the HBT trades that we do on here because I'll have some beer "on tap" and others ready to ship in bottles.

Although I have not yet brewed anything smaller than 5 gallons in my entire 25 year brewing odyssey, that may be changing. My SIL just called to tell me she was organizing a yard sale for the VFW where she works and today someone dropped off this...

https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-3430495/hammer-and-axe-beer-brewing-kit.jsp

It may be too good to pass up and should be about ten bucks.

Score!

Yes, I am replacing my bucket, lid and cleaning sponge. Going to clean the heck out of funnel, spigot and coil (SSBrewtech FTS) I use for temperature control.
I brewed a brown ale with rye this past weekend. Brew day went okay. After 2 days, I noticed that my airlock was not showing any signs of fermentation. Great now what! I checked my bucket lid to make sure it was on and sealed properly. That checked out. I did get a shorter thermowell because my other one went to the bottom of the bucket. My new one stops about the middle of the batch. I am hoping to get a more accurate temperature reading. Any ways, the previous thermowell used a larger hole. The new one was loose however each nut has a rubber o-ring and covered the existing hole. I thought I tightened it enough. I took a gravity reading to see if the yeast was doing its job. I started at 14.8 and the reading was 10.6, so I know its doing something. I also took out the airlock and saw krausen on top. Crossing my fingers.

Yesterday I brewed a gallon batch of Classic American Pilsner from Brewing Classic Styles, along with 2.5G batch of American Lite Ale. Used yeast I harvested from the day before when I bottled a Standard American lager and a Dark Lager. Love these small batch sizes. Much easier on the back to lug around than a 5 gallon batch.

Although I have not yet brewed anything smaller than 5 gallons in my entire 25 year brewing odyssey, that may be changing. My SIL just called to tell me she was organizing a yard sale for the VFW where she works and today someone dropped off this...

https://m.kohls.com/product/prd-3430495/hammer-and-axe-beer-brewing-kit.jsp

It may be too good to pass up and should be about ten bucks.

Score!

I'm not a big beer drinker because good rum is my kryptonite. However I do like good beer on occasion so that's why I do 1 gal batches. I yield about 9 bottles per batch which is perfect for me as I can stretch those out for months and experience how the taste of the beer changes with age.
I enjoy experimenting with infusing stuff in my recipes for flavor and "effect". I figure if I screw up there is not much loss.
So far so good, as my judges (test dummies) have all given me good reviews.
In the fermenters right now are an ale called Innkeeper Recipe and a Bourbon Barrel Porter that I'm about to put in the second fermenter.
I have an infused porter and a Caribou Slobber clone bottle conditioning as I type.
In the fridge is a honey porter and an a infused Hemp Ale that is getting good reviews.
1 gallon brewing is a fun hobby.

Had a big blow off. Filled up my whole blow off glass. Going to cold crash and see how the beer tastes.

To anyone that read this post and didn’t warn me not to do this, you’re not cool. If this could be considered beer, it is the number one worst sip of beer I’ve ever had. I am not very picky when it comes to beer and the taste of this actually made me queasy.

To anyone that read this post and didn’t warn me not to do this, you’re not cool. If this could be considered beer, it is the number one worst sip of beer I’ve ever had. I am not very picky when it comes to beer and the taste of this actually made me queasy.
I recall the post but did not think you were going to drink the stuff in the glass. I thought you would talking about crashing the beer you were fermenting.

If you had starsan in the blow off glass I would expect the taste to be tart and soapy.

I recall the post but did not think you were going to drink the stuff in the glass. I thought you would talking about crashing the beer you were fermenting.

If you had starsan in the blow off glass I would expect the taste to be tart and soapy.

Aha! I thought the same thing. I remember reading the post but didn't think anything of it.

No @RPh_Guy, I put a splash of rum in the bottom of my blow off glass, not sanitizer. I remember reading in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing that a blow off slightly benefits the beer. I can believe it since what leaves is so awful.

This weekend is filled with doing FIVE 1 gallon hop sampler batches to present at my homebrew clubs meeting on hops next month. Should be fun!

Did lemondrop last night.

@CascadesBrewer Have you had a chance to try your lemondrop sampler? I recently made a simple ale with it as well, just tried the first one. Not too bad imo.

I have opened a few. I get a solid "lemon candy" hit on the aroma but not a ton of lemon on the flavor. I had a NEIPA-style beer with Lemon Drop + Azacca + El Dorado so that was my motivation for picking those 3 hops for samplers. The El Dorado was in a fermenter that was not air tight so came out a bit oxidized, but Lemon Drop and Azacca mixed is a nice combo. I have heard that Sorachi Ace has a stronger lemon character so I am interested in trying that hop.

What are your guys’ solution to controlling your fermentation temps?

Until I get my hands on a dedicated fridge, I use the coldest part of my basement (~55F right now). Some yeasts I can get away with just wrapping a retired bath towel around the jug to keep it a few degrees higher, others that need a bit more warmth, I wrap a small seedling mat hooked up to an inkbird controller. The mat is 2 or 3in x 10in. It wraps around the jug a bit more than I'd like, but it works for me. I change my routine with the seasons.

Back