1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I harvested a quart jar batch of rice wine today. I guess that's a little small even for us 1 gallon guys eh? I got about 14 ounce of wine. The quart jar was completely full and compacted with rice and powdered rice yeast balls.

The total batch time was 26 days. First pic is from day 25, sorry no day 1 or progressive pics, second one is what I got after it was harvested today.

I think this is my next experiment, gonna start studying up on it.

Mooglebass said:
Is muncie local? lol

Back to my tang porter, if i use a half pound of the midnight wheat, will that be too much?

On the midnight wheat. I found this.. It might help with the percentage of your grist. If you are doing a 5 gallon batch with 10-12 lbs of grain.. You are there!

• 1-2% Minor color adjustment with little to no flavor impact in lighter colored lagers and ales

• 2-5% Adds color with subtle, very smooth flavor

• 5-10% Use in larger quantities for color plus hints of smooth roasted flavor

I made a gallon of Brooklyn Brew Shop's Honey & Date Ale recipe a few weeks ago, except that I wanted to give the honey and date flavors a chance to shine more and put it in secondary after a couple weeks.

After a week of the beer fermenting with a blowoff tube, I switched it to and airlock and I got bubbles. I'm not sure what to think of that except that maybe there were sugars in the dates that the yeast couldn't get to (even after a little bit of boiling) until they soaked in the beer for a few days.

I have a feeling I'm going to let this one condition for more than the usual two weeks.

I made a gallon of Brooklyn Brew Shop's Honey & Date Ale recipe a few weeks ago, except that I wanted to give the honey and date flavors a chance to shine more and put it in secondary after a couple weeks.

After a week of the beer fermenting with a blowoff tube, I switched it to and airlock and I got bubbles. I'm not sure what to think of that except that maybe there were sugars in the dates that the yeast couldn't get to (even after a little bit of boiling) until they soaked in the beer for a few days.

I have a feeling I'm going to let this one condition for more than the usual two weeks.

Dates and honey were both fermentable so it doesn't surprise me that out started up again. Just give it some time to make sure its done

What do you guys use for fermenting? I've been using glass jugs however I've been getting krausen explosions due to lack of space. Thinking of switching to two gallon buckets. Thoughts?

i have used both. I like the bucket better i think because it holds a little more so can put all my wort in not have to cut to a little short to not over fill. So my process may become primary in bucket secondary if needed in jug. Im a beginner havent had an explosion yet doing primary in jug.

dp_brew said:
i have used both. I like the bucket better i think because it holds a little more so can put all my wort in not have to cut to a little short to not over fill. So my process may become primary in bucket secondary if needed in jug. Im a beginner havent had an explosion yet doing primary in jug.

Do you use an airlock or a blow off tube?

I think I am going to start doing this to try out recipes, I would hate to make 48 of something I don't like. All I have is the my version of a full batch of 5 gallons. I know I am not in the same boat as maybe a larger scale homebrewer but is the 5 gallon primary/brew pot too big? Seems like it would be a waste of space. If so I quess I could use my regular kitchen pots but not sure about a fermenter.

Your 5 gallon pot will work but I usually use my 2.5 gallon.

You can ferment in whatever you want. Just scale the recipe to fit. I like using a 1-gal wine jug. Lots of us use a 2-gallon frosting bucket that you can get for free at many bakeries. I have also been eyeing a 2.5 gallon water container with a spout at Wal-Mart. Shoot, if you like estery beers you can use any SS pot/pan and just put cheesecloth on top!

The possibilities are practically endless!

bleme said:
Your 5 gallon pot will work but I usually use my 2.5 gallon.

You can ferment in whatever you want. Just scale the recipe to fit. I like using a 1-gal wine jug. Lots of us use a 2-gallon frosting bucket that you can get for free at many bakeries. I have also been eyeing a 2.5 gallon water container with a spout at Wal-Mart. Shoot, if you like estery beers you can use any SS pot/pan and just put cheesecloth on top!

The possibilities are practically endless!

+1. Many fermenters out there to choose from. I ferment in 1 gallon water jugs and throw them out after a couple of uses. Also target has a bulk cheese balls. Containers works once you get out the cheese smell. I have a lot of 2 gallon and 3 gallon bakery buckets and recently been doing quite a few in this hex container from tap plastics.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_containers/plastic_hexagon_container/575

It's less than 6 bucks!

image-3856587337.jpg

^^ This picture needs to go in the 'ghetto brewing set ups' thread. I think its hilarious that it works!

Ive just ordered 3 1 gal glass carboys to run test batches with. I think the 1 gal size will be perfect to get my recipes dialed in just right with out having to wast 4+ gal if its not how I want it to be. Waiting for my last bits to come in and start a brewing.

For everybody using plastic, remember that plastic does retain some flavor and aroma compounds. So, it's best to have extras around. That way you can dedicate a bucket or two to a specific flavor category.

Trying to brew a lite lager back to back with say; an IPA, sour, or red wine, is likely to be less then ideal in a plastic fermentor.

Usually, plastic buckets nest nicely though. So, having 5 doesn't take up much more space then having 1. Plus it's a good excuse to have more fermentors. :p

You also aren't stuck doing 1 gallon or 2 gallon batches. It is pretty simple to make a spreadsheet that will convert a recipe to any volume you want. If you are using 1 gallon wine jugs, it is just as easy to scale your recipe to .85 gallons and give yourself some headspace.

Of course, good brew software can make it even easier. Once you have your process dialed in (boil off rate, etc), it will tell you exactly how much water you need to start with to get where you are going.

Hmm, to make beer, kombucha, or attempt to convert potato starch into sugar as the next brewing project...?

Hmm, to make beer, kombucha, or attempt to convert potato starch into sugar as the next brewing project...?

Get the beer going first, then the side projects to pacify the need to brew more while waiting for said batch to ferment.........thats what I do!

Beeeeeeeeeer....

Going to bottle my barley wine and my ris tonight. Im also going to keg a founders breakfast stout kit I brewed like 3 months ago

cheesecake said:
Beeeeeeeeeer....

Going to bottle my barley wine and my ris tonight. Im also going to keg a founders breakfast stout kit I brewed like 3 months ago

Which R.I.S. did you make? Clone or yours? After having a Rasputin R.I.S. I'm thinking I have to clone that. It's fantastic!

Guys I caved in and got a three gallon carb and im looking to buy a 5 gallon brew pot. But my two one gallon carboys will always see some action.

I was getting bummed that I was only making 10-12 beers when they came out really well. 30ish beers is nicer once I've dialed it in

So now I can get REALLY experimental with my 1 gallons. Going to try some crazy brews soon!!

Got my first small batch in primary on Sunday morning. The only issue was when I realized that my intended swamp cooler had a big leak :smack:. Smaller plastic container doesn't hold the same water volume, but replacing two thin ice packs 2x daily has the ferm temp fluctuating b/w 62-68. Still better than ambient I figure.

Planning my next brew for this weekend, a Honey Wit, using some mystery Belgian yeast harvested from a few Great Divide Orabelle tripels. I've stepped it up with a couple starters, and it's really taken off. Planning to use half and save half for future brews.

Thanks again to all on here for the small batch wisdom!

BGBC said:
replacing two thin ice packs 2x daily has the ferm temp fluctuating b/w 62-68. Still better than ambient I figure.

I just set my homes thermostat to 61F all winter. It has nothing to do with brewing. I'm just not into paying a huge heating bill - not that I don't take advantage of the situation...

Just started doing it this way myself. There's an allure to washing yeast, bottling 10 bottles or so (or using this nifty little 5L keg I just bought). The time spent is so much more appropriate for a lazy bastard like me. I'll gladly brew bigger batches if I make something I like.

I'm excited to look through the thread for peoples set ups.... Quick question, is it worth making a metal mash for this?

bleme said:
I just set my homes thermostat to 61F all winter. It has nothing to do with brewing. I'm just not into paying a huge heating bill - not that I don't take advantage of the situation...

Holy cow! 62! Wouldn't that be nice lol my wife would have a cow. Can't get ours below 68

thewhoner said:
Just started doing it this way myself. There's an allure to washing yeast, bottling 10 bottles or so (or using this nifty little 5L keg I just bought). The time spent is so much more appropriate for a lazy bastard like me. I'll gladly brew bigger batches if I make something I like.

Lol.. Funny I'm laid back about brewing but such a anal bast*** about other stuff. I just harvest some trub some times. In a jar.. It works.

thewhoner said:
I'm excited to look through the thread for peoples set ups.... Quick question, is it worth making a metal mash for this?

What's a metal mash! a mash tun made out of metal? I'm confused lol

hey guys, been reading up on brewing 1 gallon beers for quite awhile now...i am looking to brew 1 gallon batches because i dont drink a lot, and i dont have a lot of space...i was looking at different kits, primarly the northern brewery 1 gallon kits and the brooklyn 1 gallon kits. which do you guys prefer? i definitely want to go All Grain and have more control over my brews. also, is there a reason a lot of 1 gallon brews i see done are with BIAB? can you use BIAB with the brooklyn or nothern brewery kits?

Guys I caved in and got a three gallon carb and im looking to buy a 5 gallon brew pot. But my two one gallon carboys will always see some action.

I was getting bummed that I was only making 10-12 beers when they came out really well. 30ish beers is nicer once I've dialed it in

So now I can get REALLY experimental with my 1 gallons. Going to try some crazy brews soon!!
I do that all the time. My larger batches are usually in 5 gallon food grade buckets though. They are great for up to about 4 gallons.

If I'm going to make something I know I'm really going to like, and want some to age, I make larger batches. The same goes if I'm making a sessionable. I make really strong brew, and anything I'm not really sure about, in smaller batches.

Back