1 gal. lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

Reaction score
I just finished my first gal of cider and wanted to try hard lemonade. Does anyone have a recipe for a 1 gal. batch or anything special I need to know(about lemonade)? thanks in advance

Make a big yeast starter. When it gets to high krausen then start adding a cupful of the must to the starter over a period of a few hours then pitch.

My recipe is posted (under "recipes" on the left under my avatar). Just cut it into thirds (not the yeast, though) for a one gallon recipe. Pay special attention to the directions on getting it started, though- it's very acidic and sometimes the yeast doesn't want to ferment it at first.

Maybe it is just luck or the Aldi frozen lemonade I use but I have never had problems getting my yeast going in my lemonade, I just hydrate it and stir it in. My airlock is usually going within 12 hours. This is what I have been using as a recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/extra-hard-lemonade-187035/
I did cut the sugar in half though. Yoopers is very similar to that one, I just like the lime and lemon mix. The strawberry lemonade I made was fantastic as well. good luck

a question that i think fits into this thread- i make a lot of ginger beer with a ginger beer plant, 1.5L batches that contain the fresh juice of 1 lemon, and the gbp tucks right in and has no problem fermenting, but i just tried to ferment the same recipe with some leftover ale yeast (s04), to ferment dry to 6% and then backsweeten to the same sweetness as my ~1% gbp batches. fermentation has not really kicked off after >24h, although i haven't re-checked the gravity (started 1.045), there is not much action in there. could this be due to the acidity of the lemon? could check the pH but i haven't. i just threw in the dry yeast, no starter.

I appreciatge the advice. Just started 1 gal with 1 frozen lem. 1 piink lem and 1lb of sugar and is fermenting nicely after only about 7 hours. How long should I let this go in order to get someting not overly sour?

what was your og? You'll want to back-sweeten or bottle pasteurize. theres an awesome sticky on pasteurization at the top of the cider forum. I let mine sit for about a month.

Back