1/6 keg fermenter not getting clean enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use a 1/6 keg for my fermenter and have noticed that even after using PBW, I still feel the residue of the krausen near the top. It only has about a 2" opening at most and I currently set it upside down over a sump pump in a PBW bucket with a rotating tank washers (CLP) attached to it that goes up into the keg. The water is warm and I run it for up to 30 minutes.

It's tough to get a bottle brush down in there and then up against the surface right around the opening for a good scrubbing. Any tips on how to clean this area better will be most appreciated.

I ferment in kegs as well.
You may need to run it longer, possibly use more PBW, (I use oxyclean from Dollar General), or adjust the height of where the CIP spray ball hits.

I had issues, and started using a cooler for the sump for the keg washer, so that it stays hot longer, and will let it run for an hour or more if needed.
I've even left it running overnight and the water was still warm.

You may need a stronger pump.

Is this a sankey keg? One of my favorite things about fermenting in kegs(corneys for me) is how easy they are to clean. I don't even use any type of cleaner on my kegs. Just scalding hot water to rinse and for the stubborn krausen stuff I'll let it sit in the hot water for a bit then lightly scrub with a sponge. My dry hop kegs don't even need any scrubbing, hot water rinse gets it done.

Yes, it's a Sankey keg. I'd scrub with a sponge, but can't get access. Pump is plenty strong; too strong, perhaps. The suds prevent the outflow from the small opening such that I'll have to turn it off after 10-15 minutes to let it drain back out. The sump pump outlet is a 1-1/2" NPT, and it was worse when I used a 3/4" PVC pipe up through the hole than later when I switched to a 1/2" pipe.

The pump itself heats the water up enough that it's hot to the touch.

We have the Turbonik Brush. It was designed to help with that problem. For beer stone I would remove the dip tube, lay the keg on its side with a pint of hot water mixed with Brewery Wash puddled on its side and have at it with at least a 1200 rpm cordless drill until clean. Then rinse using the rinse port of the Turbonik Brush. Turbonik Brush

Nice idea with the Turbonik brush. I don't see how the "bristles" can make a sharp enough bend to clean the surface I'm talking about under centrifugal force. They look like they might be a bit stiff. I was thinking of something similar, but with bristles like an old-school mop.

Yes, it's a Sankey keg. I'd scrub with a sponge, but can't get access. Pump is plenty strong; too strong, perhaps. The suds prevent the outflow from the small opening such that I'll have to turn it off after 10-15 minutes to let it drain back out. The sump pump outlet is a 1-1/2" NPT, and it was worse when I used a 3/4" PVC pipe up through the hole than later when I switched to a 1/2" pipe.

The pump itself heats the water up enough that it's hot to the touch.

I add a bit of fermcap to the water, it will minimize the foam issue.

Yes,
I use it when I run my keg/fermenter cleaner.

One day I was having lots of foam and had to cut it off every few minutes like you described, and decided, WTF, and gave it a try.
I always use it now, and can let it run overnight if needed, with no worries.

Back