1/2 Gallon canning jar HOP BACK and RANDALL from Jaybird

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are going to make me poor with all these new items. After Christmas hopefully I can place a order for some more of the jaybird goodies....
Awesome stuff

You are going to make me poor with all these new items. After Christmas hopefully I can place a order for some more of the jaybird goodies....
Awesome stuff

Well that "is" my EVIL PLAN! LOL

Thanks brother! This think is sofa king killer! Super happy with the way it turned out!

Cheers
Jay

I would add a second vote for a video. I'm not sure that I fully understand how this would work and what it could do for me and a video would be worth a thousand words. So if you had time that would be awesome!!

I have the same question and will pre-order the Randall version if the ball locks are removable for use a the hop back. I assume they are, even if just for cleaning or repairing the poppet.

Sorry guys missed that.
Yes for sure they are removable. The keg post is welded to the tubes and then you screw on the ball lock connections you want. We are having to Teflon the threads for a better seal as the gasket doesn't seem to do the 100% job we want and there is no way to add a dip tube with an o'ring. So I am just doing a quick Teflon wrap and all is good.

Cheers
Jay

Sorry guys missed that.
Yes for sure they are removable. The keg post is welded to the tubes and then you screw on the ball lock connections you want. We are having to Teflon the threads for a better seal as the gasket doesn't seem to do the 100% job we want and there is no way to add a dip tube with an o'ring. So I am just doing a quick Teflon wrap and all is good.

Cheers
Jay

Can you post a picture with the ball lock removed?

Sorry guys missed that.

Cheers
Jay

Great, thank you. Pre-order placed.

Can you post a picture with the ball lock removed?

Here ya go buddy!

Cheers
Jay

3050-Wide-Mouth-Canning-Jar-Randall-Locks-Off.jpg

I think it would be cool if somehow the ball lock connectors were attached to the tubes with compression fittings instead of being welded. I am not sure that is possible but if it is then the same filter could be used as a hop back (by taking them off so tubing could fit over the tubes) and a Randall (with the fittings on). Two uses with the same filter. Just a thought.

I think it would be cool if somehow the ball lock connectors were attached to the tubes with compression fittings instead of being welded. I am not sure that is possible but if it is then the same filter could be used as a hop back (by taking them off so tubing could fit over the tubes) and a Randall (with the fittings on). Two uses with the same filter. Just a thought.

Its already done that way as well

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Canning-Jar-Hop-Filter-Kit-64-Ounce.html

Cheers
Jay

3022-Wide-Mouth-Canning-Jar-Hop-Filter-Closeup.jpg

3022-Wide-Mouth-Canning-Jar-Hop-Filter #1.jpg

Sorry I kind of missed EXACTLY what you were saying.
A 1/2" Compression can be attached to the picture above and then convert from there to ball lock. Not exactly simple but doable.

Cheers
Jay

I got mine but haven't tested it yet. I had another thought though. I just did a pilsner and don't want to add a whole lot of extra hop character just a touch but it would also be nice to not push the yeast that settled out in the keg to the next keg. What if you packed it with rice hulls after putting in the hops? I know yeast are tiny but if the flow was slow enough toward the end could it knock out the majority of it?

Also how much pressure do these hold? If I do a keg to keg transfer at 14psig will it blow once the second keg is full and starts to pressurize?

I'll try to take some pics when I finally try it out. You gotta stop making cool $h!t I'm not made out of money!

I got mine but haven't tested it yet. I had another thought though. I just did a pilsner and don't want to add a whole lot of extra hop character just a touch but it would also be nice to not push the yeast that settled out in the keg to the next keg. What if you packed it with rice hulls after putting in the hops? I know yeast are tiny but if the flow was slow enough toward the end could it knock out the majority of it?

Also how much pressure do these hold? If I do a keg to keg transfer at 14psig will it blow once the second keg is full and starts to pressurize?

I'll try to take some pics when I finally try it out. You gotta stop making cool $h!t I'm not made out of money!

Hmm rice hulls to filter yeast? You got me there buddy! I think you are on to something though I think if the transfer was slow enough you may be onto something.
As for the pressure. #1 why would you be at 14 PSI during transfer? #2 I am not sure but if I was to guess 14-15 psi would be a snap. I really dont "THINK" you would run into trouble till you hit 20+ psi.

I think a "lets blow something up" test is in order. :D:D:D

Cheers
Jay

I was also thinking maybe rubber band a coffee filter to the in tube. I serve at 14psig since my elevation is 4500ft. I guess I could turn the regulator down but I typically like to leave it alone. The hulls may not exactly filter the yeast but might slow things down enough that when I see the color change and hear the source keg bubble I could rapidly disconnect the receiving keg. Hence the Randall would rapidly pressurize to whatever the push pressure is.

I was planning on doing the same rice hull trick. I first want to steep a bunch of rice hulls in hot, warm and cool water. They say there are no off flavors, but I've learned barely enough that I know not to trust what they say.

Back