1.083 Stout, done in 48 hrs? Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgg_033

Reaction score
OK, so let me preface by saying I am still relatively new to brewing, as i started up again recently after a 4 yr hiatus.
I have a 1.083 OG stout in the fermenter, and it has stopped fermenting after 48 hrs. Prior batches of lower gravty ales have attenuated at 55% (dry yeast, never again), and 65.5% (wlp007, which I understand to be highly attenuative)...I did not use a starter for this, however, and used 50% bottled water (whoops), and no nutrient (whoops), and only aerated by pouring back and fourth before pitching (again...whoops). So as you see, my process has not been perfect.
So back to my stout. This time I aerated with vigorous shaking for a few minutes. I also used yeast nutrient as per the amounts on the bottle. The starter was wlp007, in a 3qt (!)starter. I settled overnight in the fridge, and decanted the liquid off the top, and pitched only the slurry that remained. So far, as you see, much improved in my process.
Recipe:
3 lbs 2 row pale
1 lb roaster barley
0.75 lb chocolate malt
0.5 lb crystal 60
1 hr mash in 1.5 grain to quart ratio at 155 (dropped to 150 at the end).
Bucket Sparge, yielded 3 gallons at 1.036 (21 GP's for 5 gallons).
7 lbs dry malt extract added at beginning of boil.
Cooled, pitched at 70 degrees.
ambient room temp is 72-73 degrees...I understand this can give off flavors, but given prior attenuation problems, i decided this was not a concern.
Here is where it may have fallen apart: the next day (16 hrs later) I came home for lunch, lid was partially blown off, and KRausen foaming out the top. I think I am ok (?) because I caught it while it was still active, so hopefully no infection. I put the lid back on and babysat it until krausen stopped filling my airlock.
However, LATER THAT NIGHT it was bubbling away, and the temperature reading on the bucket said, well, it didnt say anything because it only goes up to 80. Ambient temp was still 73. I would estimate, by time it took to cool, it was around 83 degrees for a few hrs. (I have since learned that vigorous fermentation produces heat!). I did get it back down to 73, and it continued fermentation for another 18-24 hrs, but has now stopped.
My question is, total fermentation time, although vigorous, was about 48 hrs from pitching to no airlock activity. Is it likely that I am still ok given the vigorous fermentation and the starter size, or will I find my attenuation problems to have continued? Thoughts? I am just hoping for 70% at this point, but originally 75 was my target. I know I will find out in a week but I am still anxious...
Thanks in advance, and sorry about the long post, but all to often I see people post too LITTLE info.
Peace

Fermenting that hot, and with a good starter to give it a head start... it's not in the least bit surprising that it could ferment that fast and hard. Definitely going to have off flavors and hot alcohols in this one.

btw... you say it's finished but don't mention what the SG is at. I assume you checked that and aren't just assuming it's done because your airlock stopped bubbling.

Until I just got my first 6.5 gal. carboy a few days ago I always use a blowoff tube for about the first 2-3 days, until that initial explosion of yeast activity wears down, then I put an airlock on.

A stated above, you can't tell that fermentation is done simply because you don't see it visibly anymore, especially after only 2 days, I bet if you took a gravity reading you would get something like half of the conversion you're looking for at this point. Initial activity is strong and robust, yes, but there is much more to it that requires only time and aloneness to come to fruition. Patience... :mug:

I made a 1.083 stout that was at 1.015 in less than a week with wy1098. I pitched 1 qt of fresh slurry at 60F and left my chest freezer at 60. Fermentation was at 68F in under 48 hours, probably finished in under 100 hours. At one week I moved it to room temp and took the FG reading like any other ale. Alcohol content was evident but not hot.

Dont underestimate the speed of wlp007. Read the reviews on whitlabs.com and you'll find that 48hrs isn't uncommon with that strain. Gravity readings are a must though to know for sure.

It would not be uncommon for a 1.083 wort to fully ferment out to a 1.025 or some such in 48-60 hrs IF... IF enough yeast was pitched (which in some regard might be too much). This may well be the case given your 'explosive' experience. In that regard, the water bath/swamp cooler is your friend! :mug: It's not uncommon for commercial breweries to be moving beer from a fermenter or dropping the yeast out after only 3 or 4 days... obviously they are brewing under optimal conditions (pitch-rate, temp control, equipment, monitoring progress on a schedule, etc) and have filtration on their side.

If you trust your equipment I think it's sort of okay to judge activity by the airlock, but only as a 'look test' sort of way. If you really want to know what's going on with the bier, pop the lid, pull a hydro sample and you'll know if it's done or not! HOWEVER that doesn't matter because secondary fermentation isn't complete at this point under any circumstance and you don't want to move the brew to secondary until secondary fermentation is complete. ie the yeast have cleaned up after themselves.

I just experienced the quickest primary fermentation cycle I've had with S-33 yeast in a 1.042 OG wort fermenting between 63-65 ... done in 40-48 hrs.

Schlante,
Phillip

Thanks for everyone's input. And Cat, you are correct in both counts. First, I am a hydrometer user, but this 'finished fermentation' question was based soley on airlock activity (or in this case, lack thereof). I will be taking a sample in about a week when I move to my secondary (that answers another question in the replies).....just didn't want to open it up more times than I have to. So my question was more based on me being anxious....this was my first partial mash, so along with the 10 hr brew day, i also put in a few hours drilling a bazillion holes in my backet for lautering. Therefore, I am quite nervous about this one. I will let you know how the graivty looks when i transfer.
PS CAT, you mention definate off flavors and hot alcohols.....along with an already expected ABV of 7.5+, do you estimate this one to be undrinkable based on the hot fermentation?
I do plan my next High Gravity Ale to begin around 65 degrees, and let the vigorous fermentation raise itself (to roughly 72 or so i suppose). When that begins to slow, i will move it to a 70 degree room to finish. i wish i could throw it in a tub of cool water, but I am in an apartment with one tub. My wife would simply NOT approve!!!! :^)

I would suspect your attenuation to be high on this one, I also suspect your past dry yeast problems are not because of the yeast. Are you aerating your wort well prior to pitching? EDIT: never mind I see that you have improved that.

As far as off flavors you may want to leave this one on the yeast for 2-3 more weeks to clean it up.

I will be taking a sample in about a week when I move to my secondary (that answers another question in the replies).....just didn't want to open it up more times than I have to.

Well, I don't think you can pick a time to move to secondary if you're not checking gravity. The gravity dictates when you can do things with your beer, not the other way around. Don't worry about opening it up to check your SG. I check mine once a week no matter what. Taking your SG is a good thing so long as you're not doing it every day (unless there's definite problems you're trying to monitor).

PS CAT, you mention definate off flavors and hot alcohols.....along with an already expected ABV of 7.5+, do you estimate this one to be undrinkable based on the hot fermentation?

Undrinkable is not a word I ever use with beer unless it has something really scary growing on it or it gets tipped over and ends up in the carpet! :mug:
As was said, you might need to let this one sit a bit longer than you might otherwise. I'd give it more time in primary on the yeast cake. A month or maybe more. Give the yeast plenty of time to clear this one up. It won't do much for fusel alcohols, but it'll help with other off flavors you may have gotten.

i wish i could throw it in a tub of cool water, but I am in an apartment with one tub. My wife would simply NOT approve!!!! :^)

Doesn't need to be the bathtub!
fermenting.jpg

Thank you again, to all of you!
I should clarify, I planned to take a gravity reading after a week, and IF IT WAS IN THE RIGHT BALLPARK, i would move to the secondary.
I will leave this on the yeast for a few more weeks to clean up. A total of 3 to 4 weeks in the primary. Is your reccomendation after that, a few wweks in the secondary, or can i go right from primary to bottling?
Oh, and i am such an idiot. Of course it doesn't have to be a bathtub, and i have many of those bins around! What's that they say in the Guiness commercials.....BRILLIANT!

You can go right from the primary to bottling as long as the ferment is done. Usually the yeast have eaten all the fermentable sugars within a week to 10 days but leaving it for 3 to 4 weeks will get you beer that is ready to drink sooner and it will clear up quite well in the primary also.

WLP007 is a work horse....I've gotten 81% apparent attenuation with it using a yeast starter, a stir plate, oxygen and yeast nutrient.

Remember, there are 3 major phases of fermentation. The lag phase from 0 to 15 hours after pitching, the exponential growth phase from 4 hours to 4 days, and the staionary phase from 3 to 10 days.

You won't see any activity in the lag phase, but the cells start taking in the
oxygen, minerals and amino acids needed for good cell structure. Warmer temps result in more yeast cells.

The exponential phase is when you see the yeast activity while they're producing CO2. They're eating the sugars, producing alcohol, and growing exponentially.

The stationary phase is when the yeast slows down. You have "green beer" at that point. The yeast have produced most of the flavor and aroma compounds. This is also known as the conditioning phase. The yeast reabsorb the diacetyl and acetaldehyde that was produced in the 2nd phase. The hydrogen sulfide continues to escape as a gas and then the kraeusen falls.

You will have an issue with your temp being at 75 degrees. Although there will be a only small increase in ethanol, fusel alcohol, and esters...the main flavor difference will be an increase in the acetaldehyde...at least 10.5 times higher than the sensory perception threshold.

So maybe you might consider moving your batch to secondary and letting it condition for for 3 to 4 weeks. It might lose some of that acetaldehyde....maybe.

Temperature control is extremely important. Ale fermentation should be around 68 degrees with out any huge temp swings. Keep it as consistent as possible.

Don't rush the process.....you know the mantra by now....relax...don't worry...yada yada yada...

These ideas come from Chris White's and Jamil Zainasheff's book, "Yeast".

I highly recommend every brewer adding it to your reading list.

Update: I bottled this straight from the primary, having let it sit on the yeast for a total of 3 weeks and 2 days. Would love to have left it on longer, but alas, I need to start packing for the move, so this was all i could give it.
As expected after your responses, the attenuation was fine. 75%, so a FG of 1.021
Not bad!
I will say if had a pretty awful taste. Not really fusel alcohols nor any off flavors as a result of the high temp fermentation (at least I don't think it was), maybe my Recipe sucked. LOL, I dumped the yeast cake in the tub after bottling, and an hour later I went in to rinse the tub, and the entire bathroom smelled like someones breath a half hour after they finished a big jug of coffee. It really did smell not like coffee, but of bad coffee breath.
Well, maybe it was just because it was still flat.....we shall see. Either way, in keeping with other comments, It wont hit the sink just yet. I will taste in a few weeks after carbonation, but this one may sit in the basement for 6 mo before re-evaluating.

Almost a year later, and it actually tastes like an imperial stout. the 'bad coffee breath' off flavor is gone. i am chalking it up to the high temperature spike during fermentation, and ti cleaned up nicely with good aging.

Latest posts

Back