1.066 and single smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKHopHead

Reaction score
I brewed my third batch on Friday. It is a milk stout with OG 1.066. I was planning to use dry American ale yeast but the LHBS was out so I purchased a wyeast smack pack. I knew these were designed to be pitched in 5 gallons so I did not make a starter. After I pitched I noticed that the package said it could be pitched in wort up to 1.060. I know the lactose I used probably accounted for 6 points so I may be ok. Should I go buy another package of yeast on Monday and pitch it or should I just RDWHAHB? Fermentation appears to be pretty active already.

I would say if you have active fermentation you're ok. You're only a little over what the yeast is recommended for, gravity-wise. You just shouldn't use one of those packs if you were doing an imperial ale or similar, would be my guess, you'd want two in that case.

I read in BYO mag that there is virtually no drawbacks for overpitching...if that's the case, why don't we overpitch all the time? I use dry yeast so it's cheap, maybe I should just be using 2 packets from here on out.

I read in BYO mag that there is virtually no drawbacks for overpitching...if that's the case, why don't we overpitch all the time? I use dry yeast so it's cheap, maybe I should just be using 2 packets from here on out.

I've read somewhere on here that there are a couple drawbacks to overpitching, but I'll be darned if I can remember them.

What I do know is that the drawbacks of overpitching are nothing compared to the drawbacks of underpitching.

I'm a dry yeast fan. I ALWAYS use 2 packs. Its cheap enough that I can afford to do that.

CanadianQuaffer said:

I don't know about that. I think over-pitching can be just as bad and yeast is not that cheap unless you are harvesting. In some cases, hefewiezen for example, under-pitching is desirable. Best just to attempt to pitch the right amount. Take mrmalty with a grain of salt too, it's known by many as mroverpitchy. I would use it as a guideline but not the bible.

Over-pitching can cause more fusel oils in big beers = more hangovers. Case in point - Brooklyn Brewery's Monster Ale Barleywine. I actually will overpitch Weizens to cut down on the banana esters, but that's just my personal preference.

SickTransitMundus said:
Over-pitching can cause more fusel oils in big beers = more hangovers. Case in point - Brooklyn Brewery's Monster Ale Barleywine. I actually will overpitch Weizens to cut down on the banana esters, but that's just my personal preference.

I have never had that Barley Wine but something similar was being mentioned about it at the watering hole. I am interested in tasting this now to see if I can pick it out but I don't want to spend money on a crap beer.

It's weird with Weizen. The one I made I just pitched a vial and I didn't get much banana at all then I pitched half of that cake in a dampfbier and it had HUGE banana. So much so that I am looking for for clove next round.

Imo you will be just fine. I just used a 1056 smack pack on a Dragon's Milk clone with an og of 1.080 and it finished out fine. It also said up to 1.060 on the pack but thats what the recipe in byo called for.

Back