1.060 stout stuck at 1.042 at 9 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
US-05, oxygenated before pitching, 70 degree temp...what went wrong here? I don't think I'm to blame and it's just bad luck. Is there any way to salvage it?

I pitched another half packet and oxygenated again with my fingers crossed, so far no activity. This is the second batch of this beer that has failed (first was infection)

Thoughts?

In the future, do not oxygenate once there is alcohol present, and pitch the whole pack. If it is still stuck, try re pitching. More yeast is OK, but no more O2, which has bad effect on flavor once fermentation has started. US-05 should not need extra O2 anyway, unless you are kruasening from previous brew.

US-05, oxygenated before pitching, 70 degree temp...what went wrong here? I don't think I'm to blame and it's just bad luck. Is there any way to salvage it?

I pitched another half packet and oxygenated again with my fingers crossed, so far no activity. This is the second batch of this beer that has failed (first was infection)

Thoughts?
Was it an all-grain batch or extract? If it was all-grain, what was your mash temp?

I went through the same thing recently with a porter. Same OG and gravity after a week. Pitched another pack of yeast and nothing 24 hrs later. Pitched a hydrated packet of glucoamalyse and had fermentation in about an hour. 3 days later it took it from 1.040 to damn near 1.000.
It dries it out a lot And will change the expected flavors slightly, but you’ll have a much less sweet and higher gravity beverage

9 days in should be coming to the end of fermentation but I had just 1 that went 13 days before I had to do something , at day 17 it stopped at an acceptable and stable FG. I would NOT do anymore pitching. Maybe slosh the carboy a little , just enough to kick the yeast up from the bottom a bit and let it ride a few more days and recheck gravity. Then if need be , probably needs a couple more days to clean up . stalling out at 1.042 is way too early for it to quit. 05 is a beast yeast . keep us posted

Did you do multiple readings over a few days? Calling it a 'stalled fermentation' is not exactly correct if it was just slow to kick off or slow to finish.

Did you do multiple readings over a few days? Calling it a 'stalled fermentation' is not exactly correct if it was just slow to kick off or slow to finish.

I usually don't feck with it while it's doing its thing because why destroy the magic and then there's risk of infection every time you open the lid and stick your baster or hydrometer in (sanitized obviously).

I check on it on day 3 and day 7 for activity, and then do a reading 2-3 days after.

I saw a small dormant krausen on top.

And as others have said, 05 is quite an aggressive strain and I've had lids blow off violently from it within 48 hours (not this time obviously).

So perhaps I finally found a packet that was not viable. The best by date is 9/2020.

the risk of infection at that point is very slim as the ph has dropped and the amount of active yeast is so high it wouldnt allow much else to take hold. I check mine with a sanitized racking cane . Just dont ever put the drawn sample back in.

Back