1.045 OG pitching rate - starter or no starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snk

Reaction score
Brew day is soon and I was wondering if I should pitch a vial of yeast bay vermont (best before 22 July) into 20 litres of 1.045 wort or doing a starter 1 day before. Brewer's friend yeast calculator says I will be lacking 84billion cells without a starter, but I prefer to under pitch. Doing a 1 litre starter (which I understand is the minimum) without stir plate will give me 180 billion cells (target is 168). I want to get the most out of this yeast, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That's a fairly low OG, but I would still do a starter. A little over is better than 84 billion under. If it's close I never worry about it, but that seems like a lot. Why do you prefer to under pitch?

Thanks for the advice. I'm brewing an extra pale citra. I read under pitching is better than over, plus it may produce more yeast flavour. Will do a 1 day starter and pitch all of it.

For that yeast I would mash low 150F max, and raise the temp up toward the end of fermentation. With all that late citra, it should taste great!

Latest posts

Back