1.031?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingedcoyote

Reaction score
Sorry for the rather cliche thread, but I googled around and didn't feel like anything was directly telling me what to do. Maybe I just need to be reassured. Anyway...

Brewed my attempt at the Dark Owl Sweet Stout on 3/4. OG was about 1.070 (high due to some shenanigans where I thought my efficiency was way low, added DME to compensate, and then realized I was just reading it wrong in the first place). Pitched one packet of rehydrated S-04 -- should be plenty as this was a roughly 2.5-gallon batch. Active fermentation looked good, sitting in my kitchen at ambient ~63F, after krausen dropped I moved it to a warm closet (~70F) to clean up. On 3/21 I took my first hydro reading and got 1.031 -- MUCH higher than I expected, even accounting for lactose and crystal. That comes out to just 50something% apparent attenuation. I added some yeast nutrient at that point and stirred up the yeast with a spoon, leaving it in the warm closet. Another week later... still 1.031.

It actually tastes pretty good in its current state, but I don't want bottle bombs. Should I buy another packet and re-pitch?

Yes, it reads 0.000 in room temp water. 1 lb 6 oz of Briess Golden Light DME.

EDIT: To clarify, this was an all-grain brew. Recipe here, except I cut it in half and added the DME. This was my second AG (and BIAB) batch, but the first one has turned out beautifully and I don't think I changed anything significant about my mash procedure.

Thought about using wine yeast, maybe even some Montrachet slurry from apfelwein, but I was concerned I might dry it out TOO much.

Of course, I could just go head-first in that direction and throw some Brett at it... maybe I could call the finished product Horse's Milk.

How much lactose? I had a sweet stout that I had stop at like 1.024 or something mainly because of the lactose. Go to BrewGr.com and plug in the recipe it will give you an approximate FG.

Just 8oz lactose in the 2.5gal batch -- Beersmith says I should be able to hit 1.015, and Brewgr says 1.016 (thanks for the link BTW). At this point I'm thinking it's time to mix up a lively starter and re-pitch, unless someone shows up soon to tell me it's a bad idea. :)

Back