1.000 FG - Add dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
Forgive me if this question has been asked repeatedly - something tells me it has.

Brewed a saison and overshot my starting gravity (used all pils malt and boiled extra hard). Pitched 3711 and it finished at 1.000. Now my plan is to make this more of a sipper.

Thinking of adding orval dregs and throwing it into secondary for a while. Question is, does anyone think I'll get enough character to make it worth the wait, considering my final gravity? I'll be honest; I'm going to do this anyway - just want to hear from those who are more seasoned in this arena.

Thanks!

What are you trying to achieve? This beer is as dry as it gets, adding more yeast won't do anything.

There's just nothing for them to eat to do anything - you'd be pitching them into a liquid desert.

You could boil up some DME or dextrose and toss that in with the dregs - but then the orval is going to compete with the existing yeast for the new sugar.

Maybe try cold-crashing for an extended period to kill off the majority of the existing yeast, then pitch in a new batch of sugars with the orval. Or run off a small batch (1/2 or 1 gallon - a giant start really) with the same recipe and let the orval chew through that alone, then mix them together.

Or just bottle this one and brew another one and pitch the orval alongside. That's what I just did with my saison - 10 gallons, with 5 gallons on Saisonstein's Monster and 5 gallons with Wyeast 3031 brett blend.

Good call - should've specified what I was looking to achieve at this point. I realize there are no more residual sugars for the yeast to chew on. It's my understanding from others, however that some of these yeasts- specifically, brett- will almost always find other compounds to bring out the character. Even if it adds a touch of that mustiness that is prevalent in Orval, it would be an awesome touch to this beer. If there isn't even hope for that, I'd probably just keg it right away.

You do not need any residual sugars for Brett to munch on to produce the characteristic funk you're looking for. In fact the esterification process requires the presence of acids and ethyl alcohol (not residual sugars) to produce the characteristic esters that signify the presence of Brettanomyces. Depending on the wort chemistry, this can result in substantial changes to the complexion of a beer.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces

I would build up your Dregs a bit and go for it. I'd want to see the brett doing their thing before I pitched em in. I'd just put them in the primary and minimize head space as well.

Plan is to add dregs from 2 bottles. I would build them up but by making a starter, my guess is I'd probably just be growing up the sacch from the blend vs the brett that's in there. Also, have to do it in secondary as I'm washing the yeast I used in primary. Either way, I plan to update the thread with how it goes since there are many differing opinions.

There will be some long chain carbs and sugars plus some sacc yeast remaining even with a gravity of 1.0000. Brett will be able to eat all of these to some extent. So you will notice some changes to your beer over time. I can't say what your results will be per se as I usually pitch with more sugars remaining and I always pitch into barrels. You may want to consider adding a few oak Cubs and consider Brett Brux as your strain. Brux is known to be capable of fermenting cellobiose ethanol and glycerol in a semi aerobic state. Keep in mind however that you may see the beer thin out a bit based on what your brett is actually fermenting at this point. It may eat the body of the beer.

Just add the dregs and wait a month or so.. it'll get fruity before it gets musty. This is my preferred fix for beers that are too hot.. esp sai Söns.

specharka got it right. Brett does not need much to work on. I often let saisons ferment out and then add the dregs from a couple of bottles or Orval. Works great. I usually give it a few months to work.

If you are interested in learning a lot about brett watch the Chad Yacobson videos. Lots of very useful info. He mentions about brett not needing sugars to work.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjVOzBtE27Y[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Swv294Xkbq8[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FtfPKRBUhA[/ame]

You do not need any residual sugars for Brett to munch on to produce the characteristic funk you're looking for. In fact the esterification process requires the presence of acids and ethyl alcohol (not residual sugars) to produce the characteristic esters that signify the presence of Brettanomyces. Depending on the wort chemistry, this can result in substantial changes to the complexion of a beer.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Brettanomyces

This.

Back