☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@pshankstar your posts inspired me to check out Mill 47 for the first time. I was going to buy some from Sweet Marias, but their selection wasn't really doing anything for me. Then I get to Mill 47's website and wow what a nice change of pace. Much easier to read, cleaner appearance, and more concise descriptions. I like Tom's descriptions at SM, but sometimes it's just a bit much when you are looking at 10, 15 different coffees.

Mill 47 looks to be out of a lot of stuff, or close to out. I'm going to probably wait until next week and hope they add some.

I did also reach out to Legacy Farms - they have a small farm in Honduras and I've really enjoyed ordering from them in the past, and they do a lot for their community. Here's their current price sheet if anyone is interested.

View attachment 759022
Just took a look at their website, but their roasted coffee is apparantly sold under different names. Do you have any descriptions for the green coffees? I remember liking what I got back when I tried their stuff.

My daily check in continues. This morning I am drinking the Brazil Matas de Minas from Mill47. So far this bean seems to have the fullest body of the coffees I've enjoyed this week. I definitely get a nuttiness in your face both on the nose and on the tongue with each sip. It has a smooth finish with a subtle woody/earthiness on the backend.
Its a good cup of coffee but my least favorite of the three I've written about so far. Just my personal preference...

The moisture in the beans is what causing the cracking so if the beans dry out too much that might effect how they roast and being able to detect the progress.

I reading something about beans are best used within 15 months of harvest so I try to use my beans in 12 months. I just roasted some beans yesterday that I have had for 10months and the roast before I had some that were 8 months old. I keep my beans their plastic bag inside a cooler.
I live in FL. I have a "basement" which is a rarity in FL, but its really a walk-out storage room that I have to go out onto my back porch, down some stairs, and unlock the door to get into it. My house lot is sloped from the front to the back, and the basement room is below the back porch essentially. They like to call the back porch a "lanai" in FL whatever that means.
Anyways, my basement is air conditioned. No air return, so can get some humidity a little. Also the door isn't totally sealed so bugs and lizards can sneak in too. overall is not a bad setup. I got my electric brewery in there, and use the hood more for roasting than for brewing anymore. I brewed a lot up until 2015, then not a batch since 2019. Haven't brewed in like 2 years.... too many great beers on the shelves to spend the time anymore...

Anyways, my point is that leaving green beans in the poly bags they came in (Sweet Maria's) over time (less than 1 year) they began to have problems roasting with severely muted sounds from first crack to the point was hard to even hear at all. I ended up tossing a bunch. I think I had a USPS large flat rate box I sent to someone for breaking in their roaster. I still have one more box if anyone needs more BTW. PM me if so.
The rest of my overbought greens went into mylar bags with an Oxy-Absorber packet with a Vac-Seal and then into the freezer. This has revived the beans to some degree. I no longer over-buy greens. I now started to freeze ALL my greens and store them the same way when I buy new stuff. I encourage y'all to try this yourselves. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house. My MIL I'll roast for her from time to time, but otherwise its just me. I have rarely given home roast to friends. So overall I use about 1lb/week. I don't really believe that greens will stay fresh for more than 3 months in my basement. I think that storage of greens is more important than what we are told or led to believe - at least it has been so for me.

That Mill47 has only 5# greens? Can't buy 1#??? other than a sample 1/2 pound? Sounds interesting, but, I avoid 5# for the most part for reasons I've previously discussed...

TD

@TallDan I don't have any descriptions but I'm going to message them back and ask for a bit more info. I'll share anything I get with you all here in case anyone is interested.

I went ahead and placed my order at Mill 47. First time purchaser, excited to see how these taste. Some of these Africans just sound so dreamy. Looks like I got a couple of similar ones as @pshankstar

1644765317310.png

My daily check in continues. This morning I am drinking the Brazil Matas de Minas from Mill47. So far this bean seems to have the fullest body of the coffees I've enjoyed this week. I definitely get a nuttiness in your face both on the nose and on the tongue with each sip. It has a smooth finish with a subtle woody/earthiness on the backend.
Its a good cup of coffee but my least favorite of the three I've written about so far. Just my personal preference...

You have a great way with words pshankstar
So descriptive, I can almost taste it myself

Anyone ever try roasting with a heat gun and flour sifter? I already do the heat gun + bowl method but wondering if a flour sifter might give more consistent results as it seems to keep all the beans in motion.

@MaxStout, I have no experience with the heat gun method in any setup. I'm sure others will be curious to hear your thoughts if you give it a go and how it turns out.

This morning I am sipping on a cup of Colombia Huila Excelso EP from Mill 47. I would say their description is pretty darn spot on! It has what I would say is a medium body, but the citrus character gives it a nice acidic side to it to make the body a little lighter. I do get some mild floral notes and the chocolate is the faintest of them all. I am really liking this cup of coffee and the price is damn good too! I am personally really impressed by this bean!

Assuming there is enough interest on this thread, it would be fun to try something as a group. We look for a bean that we all agree on buying some, roasting and drinking around the same week or two period. During this time, we share our opinions here like I have been recently. A virtual coffee sampling!
I know the only common factor would be the green bean itself. We all have different roasting setups, we have different daily brewing setups (drip, pour over, aero press, french press, etc...) and our roasting levels are all different.

Given that, what does everyone think? I think a separate thread would be appropriate for this once we have enough people interested and we decide on a bean to order. I would be in to do something like this and I am in no rush since I have plenty of beans to roast if it takes time to gather enough people and interest.

I'd be up for that, too, @pshankstar. A remote, group cupping thread. I'm assuming you intend that we agree on a bean from some place, then we each order some, rather than a "group buy" scenario?
Yes that’s what I was thinking and figured it would be the easiest. But if others have a different suggestion put it out there. I know I’ve bought some beans on here when someone placed an order from Royal I believe. So that is always an option too.

I need some grinding input. I grind coffee for a few of the people who buy beans from me (despite my suggestions they'd be enjoying fresher coffee if they just bought a $50 grinder!). Oh well.

So where I'm at is, I'm thinking of getting a commercial grinder, like a Bunn Grinder. This would only be for the bags I sell, so just running 12 oz batches through it for a standard drip grind. I know some people buy them secondhand and then put some time/money into them with burrs and whatnot, but I'm not too familiar with the process. Anyone here have any experience with that sort of thing?

I found a couple local to me for about $150-$200, no idea the condition, they are at resale shops so I don't think they'd know either.

I need some grinding input. I grind coffee for a few of the people who buy beans from me (despite my suggestions they'd be enjoying fresher coffee if they just bought a $50 grinder!). Oh well.

So where I'm at is, I'm thinking of getting a commercial grinder, like a Bunn Grinder. This would only be for the bags I sell, so just running 12 oz batches through it for a standard drip grind. I know some people buy them secondhand and then put some time/money into them with burrs and whatnot, but I'm not too familiar with the process. Anyone here have any experience with that sort of thing?

I found a couple local to me for about $150-$200, no idea the condition, they are at resale shops so I don't think they'd know either.
I think @Ruint may have bought one of these commercial Bunn grinders.
Pinging @Ruint
1645650593307.gif

Yes I did buy a commercial grinder. It happens to be the very popular Bunn model. G3 version I think they call it. Just meaning it'll hold 3 pounds of beans in the hopper. The flat burrs it has installed are stock, and still have years of service life left on them. It does a phenomenal job at grinding large quantities very quickly. Unfortunately, I was not able to find anyplace that sold them at the price you found @HarborTownBrewing. They are not too sophisticated in setup, as I was able to take it apart easily, and even have it working when put back together.

Hey @Ruint thanks for the info! I'm going to dig a little deeper on these to see what I can find about replacing burrs because I have a feeling the ones I'm seeing at those prices probably need a little tlc.

Do you use yours for every day use or more for grinding for others?

Keep your eye out for mahlkonig and ditting grinders. I’ve seen a few pop up for sale reasonably priced. A Guatemala would serve you well and I’ve seen those available for cheap. Less common than the bunn’s though, so you’ll probably have to be patient or lucky.

@HarborTownBrewing,
I originally got it for dual purposes.... to save the life of my countertop grinder and save me from the time it took to grind 5 pounds for doing cold brew batches. There has only been 1 person that I have ground coffee for, and believe it or not, the coffee was Kopi Luwac. I tried my best to convince that person that it wasn't in their best interest to pre-grind, but it fell on deaf ears. I don't use that beast as a daily grinder, though I guess I could. It's nice to know if my baratza ever gives up the ghost, that I have a back up. With different burrs I could put on it, they say it can grind espresso grade, but the stock ones currently running in it, it does awesome for auto, pour overs, and cold brew. It is a big machine though. Calling it a counter hog won't do it justice! If you can get it cheap, it's probably going to be the motor, or driver board with capacitor that is bad. The burrs, are usually worn a little bit, but still usable. I know that when I was looking at some ditting burrs to replace the stock ones, the price tag on those babies were about $500.
Anyways....good luck on your search!

Just took a look at their website, but their roasted coffee is apparantly sold under different names. Do you have any descriptions for the green coffees? I remember liking what I got back when I tried their stuff.
Hey Dan, I just saw your post & I'm not sure how I missed it. The only descriptions I have were from there website on the beans I ordered. I didn't realize they sell the roasted coffee under different names, that seems a bit strange.

This morning I am having a cup of Sweet Maria's Mexico FTO Comunidad Tierra Blanca. Medium body with a slight sweet acidic character. Fruit and honey are present and noticeable, while honey seems be on the backside. A pleasant easy drinking coffee, nothing mind blowing but much enjoyed!

Just roasted some of the washed West Java beans I bought from Mill City. Interesting in that first crack was very sparse, only a few cracks from the beginning until I dropped 2:00 after 1c started.

After reading some and watching a few YouTube videos, I learned that many coffee roasters apply a high rate of temp rise (RoR) during the drying phase, then less so in browning, and even less so after first crack. Makes sense as the roasting become exothermic later in the process. I tried that in my process (heat gun/bowl). As usual, I preheated the bowl 30 seconds (charging temp is just a guess, but much more heating than that and I get tipped beans). Then I added the beans (6.5 oz) and held the gun closer for the drying phase. Stirred constantly with a stainless whisk. Browning starts around 4:00, so I back the gun away a couple inches and keep stirring. First crack starts around 7:00-8:00, and I back the gun just a little more while stirring, then drop after 1c + 2:00.

I'll let the beans rest a day or two and try some.

@MaxStout, when I first started and was doing the bowl/heat gun, I tried not to change distance from gun to bean, but I did change temperature settings. That was fairly easy as the heat gun was a digital model, and dropping temps was just a push of the button. Sounds like you should be on the right course. What also helped me, was installing temp probes and the digital meter that displayed temps, so I could plot the RoR on a graph.

@MaxStout, when I first started and was doing the bowl/heat gun, I tried not to change distance from gun to bean, but I did change temperature settings. That was fairly easy as the heat gun was a digital model, and dropping temps was just a push of the button. Sounds like you should be on the right course. What also helped me, was installing temp probes and the digital meter that displayed temps, so I could plot the RoR on a graph.

My gun has only one setting, so I have to use the distance method. :)

I have a Chef Alarm with probe (range up to 572F) and thought about using that, but not sure of the best probe placement for accurate readings and not getting in the way of stirring. I might have to think that over some more.

I ground some of the West Java beans I roasted yesterday and brewed a couple cups. Much less astringency and the metallic taste I experienced from previous roasts was not present. Being a different variety does add another variable (the Guatemala I had been roasting before is all gone), but I think I'm seeing a definite improvement, as the astringency was present to some degree with more than one variety before.

I roasted three batches of 6.5 oz each. I had pre-heated the bowl for about 30 secs, added the greens, then applied heat from the gun with the nozzle about 1" away from the beans, while stirring constantly. It reached the beginning of the browning phase at about 4:00, so I backed the gun to about 2.5" nozzle distance and kept stirring. First crack started at about 7:00-8:00, and I backed the gun just a little more, and continued stirring for 2 minutes more, then dropped. The beans were about a city roast or so. I poured the beans into a colander set in a downdraft box attached to a shop vac. Stirring and cooling, it reached room temp in about 1 minute.

I also have 10# of El Salvador I will try roasting later.

Good morning! Another check in today this time its the HONDURAS SAN JACINTO TYPICA NATURAL from Bodhi Leaf. I am really impressed with this bean! At the first few sips I thought I was drinking a fruity Ethiopian bean but less acidic and a fuller body. As the cup cools the fruits mellow out, but it's still present. I'm not getting any chocolate out of this bean and I am not complaining.
I will say I am really happy to have five pounds of this bean and it appears Bodhi Leaf still has some in stock if anyone is interested.

Chai is E Indian for Tea, so Chai tea is redundant.
Western "Chai" is a mixture of spices (Black Tea), good ones are very tastee.

sup roaster gang!

i ordered some coffee from Klatch today.
- a bag of roasted Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Worka Anaerobic Natural Gr1. man it's been a while since ive purchased roasted coffee!
- 2lbs of the same. hoping to see how my roast stacks up!
- 1lb of Unroasted Ethiopia Uraga Guji Anaerobic Natural GR1.

planning on a follow up order after trying those out.

what have y'all been stoked on lately?

I been working through my Bookisa supply. Also, my freezer stash is running low - you know, the green coffee I overbought, and then it started getting stale, with muted 1C such that I couldn't hear it. Mylar bagged with OxyAbsorber has reversed the staleness of the beans. Nobody took me up on the USPS box of the other greens I just had too many of - to use for roaster break-in. Getting to the point that I need to order some more greens though.

Back to the Chai thing. Since is made from tea, no home roasting at play. I don't really know how to make tea. Seems like its gotta have milk in it? Looking for a caffeine free alternative to coffee, but maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Good black tea you make by just adding hot water, I let soak for seven min. use a press. Low end stuff is bitter. No Milk/Sugar req. just some people are addicted to the milk/sugar. Their is low caffeine versions, it varies allot, jasmine I found has one of the Highest levels that I have.

How you like that machine? I like their products, but haven't taken the espresso plunge yet - maybe I never will.
I have nothing modern to compare it to but it makes good coffee-I drink mine black and have no need for all the bells and whistles. We have a 30 year old espresso machine that was very inconsistent so it stays in the cabinet. We normally use a pour over funnel for our coffee at home.

I take the same approach, preferring plain-old black coffee. Never been much of a coffee drink guy. I usually make it in a 1L press. If I'm in a hurry I have some reusable inserts for our Keurig--load up with freshly-ground and pop it in the machine. We have a Clever Dripper, but haven't used it in a while, so it sits in a kitchen cupboard.

I agree @corkybstewart , no need for bells and whistles. I use auto drip Behmor. I have begun fiddling with brew temps, 195 for African and 205 for Americas. I don't usually drink other varieties. Can't say its a huge difference but seem to pick out a little more fruit character in the dry process africans by dropping temp a tad. I rarely do pour over because of time. Weekends only.

I agree @corkybstewart , no need for bells and whistles. I use auto drip Behmor. I have begun fiddling with brew temps, 195 for African and 205 for Americas. I don't usually drink other varieties. Can't say its a huge difference but seem to pick out a little more fruit character in the dry process africans by dropping temp a tad. I rarely do pour over because of time. Weekends only.
I roast/brew Central Americans, mostly Guatemalan and costa Rican, and an occasional Sumatran. We do pour overs because we each just drink one big cup of coffee in the morning, and no more. My wife adds contaminants like cream and sugar so hers is much stronger than mine. And the earthworms in my compost piles love the grounds and filters.

Back