☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7A27067F-34E9-45FD-944D-5771A71576FC.png
With Bodhi Leaf’s sale (30% off all green beans) has any variety jumped out to anyone on here? I still sometimes get overwhelmed when I search especially when there’s so many choices. 😳

I was going to try to get you a response but was on the road and didn't have a chance, then I forgot. Report back how you like those Bodhi beans though.

Usually Sweet Marias runs a 20% off sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday but I do not believe they did that this year.

I was going to try to get you a response but was on the road and didn't have a chance, then I forgot. Report back how you like those Bodhi beans though.

Usually Sweet Marias runs a 20% off sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday but I do not believe they did that this year.
No worries. I was shocked to not see any Sweet Maria deals.
I do have some SM beans to get through before I start the Bodhi Leaf beans, although I’ll probably rotate through them all as they come in along with the two Klatch beans I bought too.

That bodhi sale is awesome for the coffees they have, I dont buy them much anymore as I am looking for the wush or something like it. But sure the coffees are plenty good depending on what you get. Just not something like the banko or wush imo. For the average coffee and even some decent Ethiopian it's a good deal imo.

E2267412-1CA4-4B70-BDA6-53B99D8DF4DD.png

I received this email from Mill47. I haven’t purchased beans from them before but I may pull the trigger on buying more beans during their sale. Then vacuum seal and freeze a bunch of beans from the info shared here with this awesome group.
At this rate I may not need to buy beans for a while in 2022. 😬

View attachment 750981
I received this email from Mill47. I haven’t purchased beans from them before but I may pull the trigger on buying more beans during their sale. Then vacuum seal and freeze a bunch of beans from the info shared here with this awesome group.
At this rate I may not need to buy beans for a while in 2022. 😬

highly recommend using oxygen absorbing inserts and Mylar bags if you intend To keep for very long. the Vac seal bags on the rolls might Be ok, I haven’t used them.

20% off green coffee and free shipping over $50 at klatch today. I’m hoping they do another 20% off gift cards like they did last year as one of the last days in this promotion.

E3AB0555-25D2-487A-84F9-BD72856D7C16.png

Roasting today. Going to try the HarborTown method on my bullet and see how it goes. I was going to clean my filter with before and after pics, but it looks like it doesn't need it yet, so will do that another time.

TD

went well. I left my phone on chRger or I would’ve taken pics. The ROR curve kinda leveled off a bit after initial decline, I had always tried to get a continuous decline. seems like the drying phase was slower than my previous methods, so I think that is a step in the right direction.

so I finally see the development time % tracked. Funny I never noticed that before. So I kinda overshot the 13-15% because I was still in the 1C late stages.
how does % affect flavor? I’m thinking since it means you are roasting longer, that you are getting more roast character, and more chocolate type dark flavors than the bright fruit flavors?
is there any % correlate with the vague, city,city+,full city, etc terms??

also, was at the end of the bag, so most of my charges were less than a full pound. Might have been part of what I was observing With the ROR Curve

Last edited:
how does % affect flavor? I’m thinking since it means you are roasting longer, that you are getting more roast character, and more chocolate type dark flavors than the bright fruit flavors?

Yep that's correct. For fruity coffees I usually drop around 13 to 15 percent. For more bodied chocolate coffees I usually go to 18 to 20 percent. Very personal though, and most people would tell you I roast too light (but people like it, so who knows).

Well since I consider you all to be friends, I'm happy to share that my wife and I just adopted a baby boy. This is our first and has been in our minds a lot the last few years, so to see it come to fruition is very gratifying!

Tying this into coffee... I'm actually surprised that despite getting less sleep we are actually drinking less coffee. I don't quite know what it is, but maybe it's because we are on leave from work and don't have to be "ON" for hours a day at demanding jobs.

Anyways, just wanted to share this here. I know many of you have kids and I'm excited to finally join the club

Ditto!
being a parent is the hardest job you will ever love.

agree on light roasting, it’s the whole reason to roast your own because can’t find anything commercial like it where I live. Will be more diligent to drop at a lower %. I will say the Ethiopian stuff I normally roast I sometimes get off putting flavors if I don’t take it to end of 1C though, And seems maybe I get slightly past desired %dev time in doing so.

Heya coffee peoples. I haven't roasted any beans in awhile, but I think I might sneak in a few batches in the next few weeks. I have some green coffee beans that I purchased back in...march/April? I am not sure on the shelf life, so are these still viable to roast or have I let them sit too long? They lived in the basement the entire time I have had them, so quite cool during the spring/fall, but could spike up in temp during the summers to about 70 or so. I keep it pretty dry down there with a good dehumidifier running pretty much all year.

Heya coffee peoples. I haven't roasted any beans in awhile, but I think I might sneak in a few batches in the next few weeks. I have some green coffee beans that I purchased back in...march/April? I am not sure on the shelf life, so are these still viable to roast or have I let them sit too long? They lived in the basement the entire time I have had them, so quite cool during the spring/fall, but could spike up in temp during the summers to about 70 or so. I keep it pretty dry down there with a good dehumidifier running pretty much all year.

You've done all the right things for storage. Cool and dry. They should be fine.

The moisture in the beans is what causing the cracking so if the beans dry out too much that might effect how they roast and being able to detect the progress.

I reading something about beans are best used within 15 months of harvest so I try to use my beans in 12 months. I just roasted some beans yesterday that I have had for 10months and the roast before I had some that were 8 months old. I keep my beans their plastic bag inside a cooler.

016C5894-EC21-4350-A5FE-379335BEF775.png
Just placed this order at Mill47. I think I’ll be set with beans for all of 2022 maybe longer. 😬
I’ll probably vacuum seal 3lbs if each and leave the rest in ziplock bags to chip away at roasting. I keep all my green beans in a tote in our basement that stays around 65 degrees Fahrenheit with a dehumidifier in the basement to keep the humidity at 50% or less. I do have a rechargeable mini dehumidifier I had sitting around I just tossed in the tote. I wonder if it will make it too dry in the tote for the green beans.

Dang! Thirty pounds of greens there! That would be a decent 9-10 month supply using around a pound a week as the sole coffee drinker in my home. They should stay fresh at a comfortable ambient temp in your home, assuming you don’t have a huge supply of other greens you’ll be roasting.

Dang! Thirty pounds of greens there! That would be a decent 9-10 month supply using around a pound a week as the sole coffee drinker in my home. They should stay fresh at a comfortable ambient temp in your home, assuming you don’t have a huge supply of other greens you’ll be roasting.
With the 30% off deal I couldn’t resist. I do have a good stock pile of green beans already (21lbs bought from Bodhi Leaf around Thanksgiving & I still have a little bit of SM beans & just under 10lbs of beans from Klatch) so I will be set for a while. Although I do like to roast beans for friends and family occasionally too. This past week I roasted five 3/4lbs bags for gifts before Christmas. That’s when I wish I had a bigger roaster like the bullet. For my wife and I, I think I usually roast 1.0-1.5lbs every 7-10 days. So I’ll definitely be set for a while. 😬

I'm just starting to get the wife's seal of approval on my home roasted beans. If I manage to impress her, I'm really curious how many pounds we would go through in a year. Very glad to report that the beans I had questioned earlier this month turned out great.

Just counted my 2021 roasts, I roasted 205.5 lbs in 2021.
-Looking back, in 2020 I roasted 220.5lbs so I was down a little bit.
-I think part of this was due to the roaster issues I had last winter when I was kind of out of commission for about 2 months and couldn't roast for my "customers".
-I would estimate that out of the 205 lbs, about 165 of that was coffee sales I did.

It's a fun little side gig and gives me more experience on the roaster too. It's not paying the bills but it DOES support my other hobbies... ahemmm... Fishing...

View attachment 754648Ordered on 12/27/21 and the coffee arrived today! They even included a handwritten note in the box too which I thought was a nice gesture. It’s the small things in life.

How do you like the quality of the coffee? Comparable to any of the other sellers?

That $5-6/lb market is tricky. Lots of good coffee but lots of middle of the road (for specialty) too.

I have to double check what we have been drinking but I want to say it’s been the Brazilian and Colombian beans from Mill47. I’ve been very happy with those beans so far. I should also see what else I have resting in the cupboard. If it’s another variety from Mill47 I’ll brew some coffee tomorrow. I’ll start making some notes and report back. I do know I have some other beans ordered before my big Mill47 but I should take some time regardless and take notes to share here.

This morning I brewed some Ethiopia Burka Gudina Estate from Mill 47. To me, it tastes like a solid Ethiopian bean. Its lighter body, slightly acidic and very fruity on the nose and tongue. I am not getting any chocolate with this one, but I don't recall ever getting any chocolate like character from an Ethiopian bean I have roasted and tried. I do get a slight sweetness as the cup cools a little bit. I can see where someone may get the caramel character listed for the beans with that sweetness.
I will try to remember to post updates each morning I try a new bean, especially these Mill47 beans.

That $5-6/lb market is tricky. Lots of good coffee but lots of middle of the road (for specialty) too.

It's getting harder to find good greens at a decent price point, what with the recent jump in coffee prices. Before, I could get good Colombian or some Central American varieties for around $4/lb. Not anymore. Yesterday, I just ordered some from Mill City and it was closer to 6.

This morning I brewed some Thai Doi Wiang Natural from Mill47. The body on this coffee is a little more full than the Ethiopian from yesterday. It is not acidic like the Ethiopian beans, but it does have a fruity note to it just not as robust. Nothing "Wowed" me with this cup, but I can say it is an easy drinking cup that I am enjoying this morning. Maybe I will roast it a little lighter next time to see if I can get more out of this bean.

It's getting harder to find good greens at a decent price point, what with the recent jump in coffee prices. Before, I could get good Colombian or some Central American varieties for around $4/lb. Not anymore. Yesterday, I just ordered some from Mill City and it was closer to 6.
What beans did you order? I was impressed by their quick shipping and packaging too. Although the beans are in boxes, not bags so that might be an issue for some.

What beans did you order? I was impressed by their quick shipping and packaging too. Although the beans are in boxes, not bags so that might be an issue for some.

10 lbs El Salvador Apaneca Finca Himalaya, Honey

10 lbs Java Frinsa Collective, West Java

I've always received beans from Mill City in 10 lb heavy plastic bags, and packed in corrugated shipping boxes. Never a problem with leaks or freshness issues.

I ordered mine Tuesday evening, it shipped yesterday, and UPS says it's coming today. But I'm local. Still, getting it out their door next day is nice.

@pshankstar your posts inspired me to check out Mill 47 for the first time. I was going to buy some from Sweet Marias, but their selection wasn't really doing anything for me. Then I get to Mill 47's website and wow what a nice change of pace. Much easier to read, cleaner appearance, and more concise descriptions. I like Tom's descriptions at SM, but sometimes it's just a bit much when you are looking at 10, 15 different coffees.

Mill 47 looks to be out of a lot of stuff, or close to out. I'm going to probably wait until next week and hope they add some.

I did also reach out to Legacy Farms - they have a small farm in Honduras and I've really enjoyed ordering from them in the past, and they do a lot for their community. Here's their current price sheet if anyone is interested.

1644534990721.png

@pshankstar your posts inspired me to check out Mill 47 for the first time. I was going to buy some from Sweet Marias, but their selection wasn't really doing anything for me. Then I get to Mill 47's website and wow what a nice change of pace. Much easier to read, cleaner appearance, and more concise descriptions. I like Tom's descriptions at SM, but sometimes it's just a bit much when you are looking at 10, 15 different coffees.

Mill 47 looks to be out of a lot of stuff, or close to out. I'm going to probably wait until next week and hope they add some.

I did also reach out to Legacy Farms - they have a small farm in Honduras and I've really enjoyed ordering from them in the past, and they do a lot for their community. Here's their current price sheet if anyone is interested.

View attachment 759022

I've bought from them in the past, though it's been a few years. I've enjoyed their washed and honey Lempiras.

The most reliable source for coffee around that price is Royal's crown jewels when you buy a full twenty pound box but that's a lot of coffee. Great coffee but a lot of coffee.

The most reliable source for coffee around that price is Royal's crown jewels when you buy a full twenty pound box but that's a lot of coffee. Great coffee but a lot of coffee.

The best price I saw there was about $141 for a 22lb box in a couple varieties, so about $6.40/lb. Most of their other varieties were much more. They do have free shipping in CONUS, so that's a plus. But it doesn't really beat Mill City for me.

I'll keep an eye on them, but I doubt coffee prices will be going down any time soon. It's shot way up everywhere.

I just seen on the morning news that they expect coffee prices to go up in the near future, general shipping issues and poor harvests in brazil were two issues I recall them mentioning.

For a lot more information:
Main — Specialty Coffee Transaction Guide

The TL;DR seems to be overall lower yield has increased the bulk prices of specialty coffee, particularly in the lower end of cup score range.

I guess this justifies my spending more per pound on coffee lately, mostly buying the higher scoring coffees. Price increases for higher scoring coffees haven't been as dramatic so the price premium for better coffee isn't as much.

Back