☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My roasting setup.

my stash of vintage coffee.

my old milk crate I rested a blazing hot brew keggle on top and melted through. Handy storage slots for my sitting implement and scooper.

Oops. Trying to figure out photo posting from my iPad...

Attachments

• 1A186089-E118-465C-8673-7F24B198AAC9.jpeg
    1A186089-E118-465C-8673-7F24B198AAC9.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 33
  • C4B5EA1E-EE3C-4170-B4C5-65CC812F7651.jpeg
    C4B5EA1E-EE3C-4170-B4C5-65CC812F7651.jpeg
    869.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 6FECF11D-453F-4DC9-99A8-EFF91508AF38.jpeg
    6FECF11D-453F-4DC9-99A8-EFF91508AF38.jpeg
    953.2 KB · Views: 36
  • E7AAB52C-8D1A-4B1F-AF10-167655117891.jpeg
    E7AAB52C-8D1A-4B1F-AF10-167655117891.jpeg
    846.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 4D7ABC0C-10A1-444B-89D3-A084C79A4662.jpeg
    4D7ABC0C-10A1-444B-89D3-A084C79A4662.jpeg
    682.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 0BA91C94-BD09-40B1-B465-6E9E0EB95F6F.jpeg
    0BA91C94-BD09-40B1-B465-6E9E0EB95F6F.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 34
  • F69B3AF2-948B-4839-830A-D6FD681A8CEF.jpeg
    F69B3AF2-948B-4839-830A-D6FD681A8CEF.jpeg
    811.6 KB · Views: 33
How many Bullet roaster owners here?
Do you prefer artisan or the Roast World?
Ever use the playback feature on roastworld ?
I don’t understand how.
I had gotten used to artisan but never been a fan of roast world.
How do you preheat with artisan? Same way??
I haven’t tried the new artisan since it’s been compatible with bullet, mainly because of updates need to go through roast world.
TD

That is a very sweet set up you have @TrickyDick. Very sweet!! I never had a chance to use artisan, so I wouldn't be able to give a comparison for which one is better. The bread machine heat gun I started with was modded by me with a dual temperature probe meter. I hand did my charts, as I wasn't wanting to spend the money to get all the equipment needed to be able to run artisan. Then I went and bought the Bullet!!!! LoL!!

I roasted the supposed blueberry bomb the night before last (Misty Valley Yirg. from Coffee Bean Corral) @TrickyDick @TallDan . Cupped this morning after letting the beans rest for ~34hrs. There's definitely blueberry notes in both the aroma and finish, both fresh and cooked blueberry/blackberry, and overall a very nice cup. Hopefully the blueberry will come out more over time, but I may have over-roasted it a tad for those flavors to really shine. Took it about 45 sec past the end of FC, will try something lighter next time.

InkedMisty_Valley_LI.jpg

Was the first roast using the thermocouples in my junkyard roaster v2.2, and things didn't go exactly to plan. Mounted the bean probe as low as I thought I could without interfering with the auger, but had issues with beans getting jammed between the auger and probe. And despite being that low it seemed to be reading ET rather than BT. Have tweaked the auger and bent the probe, so we'll see if it's any better next time. I'm sure a larger charge would help submerge the bean probe better (charge was 225g), but I don't drink enough coffee to warrant larger batches, and with WFH I'm not supplying coffee for any coworkers right now.

IMG_20200429_185213.jpg

IMG_20200429_185223.jpg

@JuanMoore Thanks for the feedback. Ordered 3lbs, after shipping 10.30/lb which isn't terrible. Supposedly got to watch out for the flip up at the end of the roast. More fan, less heat maybe?
TD

you run that drill full speed? How much coffee do you roast in that? Detail on the thermometer probes into the computer for Artisan? Looks like a pretty effective roaster!

@JuanMoore Thanks for the feedback. Ordered 3lbs, after shipping 10.30/lb which isn't terrible. Supposedly got to watch out for the flip up at the end of the roast. More fan, less heat maybe?
TD

you run that drill full speed? How much coffee do you roast in that? Detail on the thermometer probes into the computer for Artisan? Looks like a pretty effective roaster!

Made the wife a cup of it after posting. She's terrible at identifying flavors in coffee/beer/food, but actually commented that it reminded her of a mixed berry pie.

Still trying to get this roaster dialed in, was only my 3rd roast on it, and the first with the thermocouples/Artisan. It definitely has a lot of advantages over my old heavily modded popper, but I'm still trying to figure it out, and it doesn't help that I'm tinkering and modifying it between every roast. Probably should have tapered off the heat at the end more, but oh well. Heat gun fan only has 2 speeds, high and low, with low being too low to be useful.

I have a flexible wire cable organizer that I wrap around the drill trigger and twist tighter or looser to control auger speed. Nowhere near full speed, just try to get the beans moving good, probably 100-120rpm. I use the little caribiner to prop the lid open slightly for exhaust, which also allows the chaff out. If the drill gets going too fast beans fly out too. It's tricky because the drill and heat gun are plugged in to the same extension cord, and the drill slows way down when the heat gets turned up, and speeds up when the heat gets lowered.

I've been roasting 200-250g at a time, but I'm sure I could roast a lot more, likely close to a pound if I wanted to.

The thermocouples are just some cheap high temp rated k type I found on ebay, 65mm (2.5") long probes, 5mm diameter, with 1/4" pipe thread fittings ($12 shipped for the pair). They're connected to a Phidget Vint thermocouple reader, which is plugged into a Phidget hub, which plugs into my laptop. Chose Phidgets because I thought I might want to automate the heat using a servo motor someday. For now still all manual, but the auger issues have me considering replacing the drill with a little DC motor and using Phidget/Artisan to automate/control the auger speed.

Negotiating with someone on H-B on a potential espresso machine trade. My PIDed Silvia plus cash for his La Spaziale A53 Lucca. It's not my dream machine, but a double boiler would sure be nice. He's within driving distance, so no shipping involved and I get a new machine in a single transaction. Just not sure how much money I'm willing to shell out for a machine that isn't really my first choice.

I think a few people here got the Yirga Cheffe Konga Station from SM a couple months ago. I just roasted my first batch of it this morning, and got a big ROR crash during 1c. First coffee I've had that was this dramatic. I also marked 1c a little late on the graph, it started at a fairly low temp.

Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Konga Station 20-05-09_1102.png

1589041418408.jpeg

Made a few improvements to my rat-rod roaster and then ran a couple batches of very old beans through it. The plastic gears on the Whirleypop were starting to skip and were really noisy, so I replaced the drill and gear assembly with a small direct drive mounted motor. Added a speed controller, and a cigar box to house the Phidgets, speed controller, and cables. I also bent the bean thermocouple so that more of it stays submerged in the beans. Even with it bent the charge needs to be >300g to keep it submerged. Had some minor issues with flicks and crashes, but that might be partially due to testing it with 4 yr old dried out natural process beans. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Screenshot_20200519-075950.png

IMG_20200518_183946.jpg

IMG_20200515_185155.jpg

Last edited:
That rat rod roaster is awesome!
I'm getting back into coffee roasting after selling my Behmor to pay for a traffic fine (i like to always stay financially square)...
I'm trying to devise my best version of a rat rod...and may just heat-gun/dog bowl roast until I acquire the materials...
Just bought a few lbs of coffee from SM to get started again...
Quoting from their tasting notes:
"
+Peru El Diamante Don Elvis - The cup is balanced by turbinado-like, sugary sweet flavors, with fruit-forward top notes of dried apple, cantaloupe, papaya, and balsamic aroma.
+Burundi Monge Murambi Hill - Honey and raw sugar sweetness, bittering cocoa powder flavors, accented by hints of apple, clove, all spice, fragrant orange oil aroma and black tea.
+Ethiopia Organic Sidama Bombe - Aroma of fresh baked gingerbread, brown sugar and honey sweetness, stone fruits like nectarine and peach, moderate citrus acidity.
+Guatemala Patzún Finca Santa Anita - a coffee that accentuates sweetness from front to back, robust flavors of honey and Dutch cocoa, dark berry hints, a winey accent note and apple-like vibrance.
"

Will report back after my first roast on the new "system"!

What's everyone roasting lately? I didn't buy any of that Misty Valley Yirg. I might go for that if it's still available. One way or another, I'm running low on good green coffee and looking for something good!

What's everyone roasting lately? I didn't buy any of that Misty Valley Yirg. I might go for that if it's still available. One way or another, I'm running low on good green coffee and looking for something good!

Got a couple pounds of Costa Rica Tarrazu La Minita from happy mug that I'm liking. The Misty Valley Yirg is pretty good too. Bought some Ethiopia Dry Process Suke Quto Daannisa and some Guatemala Atitlan recently too but haven't gotten around to roasting either of those ones yet.

I also have some of the dry process Quto seems quite sweet and subtle fruit tones after just over a week of resting.
I did get some misty valley EYC but my first roast was blind because my software crapped out, who knows how that turned out, I haven’t tried it yet. I did my last Taroo roast which has been a bit of a disappointment as far as being able to blueberry hard candy flavor. Haven’t tasted that either. So far very please with the Quto and glad I bought it. Not a blueberry bomb though.

All the talk about 'blueberry bombs' on here inspired me to throw some of my cold brewed coffee, half-and-half, and a cup of fresh-picked blueberries in the blender. It was interesting, but probably not something I'll repeat :coff4:

My kettles and technivorm had a fair amount of scale buildup, so I cleaned them up this week. The kettles with white vinegar and the technivorm with cleancaf. Next is the espresso machine. This started me down the path of looking into water for coffee to cut down on this need. Ordered a package of the (yes, seemingly overpriced) Third Wave Water stuff to get me started, but it looks like the "Pavlis" water might be the better way to go forward.

I know a couple people posted about water here not too long ago, anyone have any lessons learned to share?

@TallDan
My technivorm I hated. The stainless steel bar I think is chrome plated steel, not stainless and it corrodes with time. Also you probably know, you need to invert whole thing over a sink to discard the retained water in the reservoir.
the extraction was all over the board because you never knew about the variable amount of retained water when I tested with my coffee refractometer. My wife bought me the moccamaster CD model which is also not the preferred model. But still. Been considering selling it on eBay,

My kettles and technivorm had a fair amount of scale buildup, so I cleaned them up this week. The kettles with white vinegar and the technivorm with cleancaf. Next is the espresso machine. This started me down the path of looking into water for coffee to cut down on this need. Ordered a package of the (yes, seemingly overpriced) Third Wave Water stuff to get me started, but it looks like the "Pavlis" water might be the better way to go forward.

I know a couple people posted about water here not too long ago, anyone have any lessons learned to share?
Not sure I posted this before or not. The post it note is formula of grams of mineral added per gallon of distilled water per SCCA (?) recommendations for coffee brewing water.

Attachments

• 2AA1AE4F-A2D2-49FC-B627-E1FAA316389E.jpeg
    2AA1AE4F-A2D2-49FC-B627-E1FAA316389E.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 12
After a descale and backflush of miss silvia yesterday, and switching to the TWW, today's cappuccinos were the best I've had in a while. Pretty noticeable difference to me and my wife commented that her oat milk latte was also very good. I'm going to bet that it has more to do with the cleaning/maintenance than the water. Hopefully the water change will cut down on the descaling needs though!

That said, I think it's finally time for me to part ways with the silvia. I very nearly bought a used synchronika a couple weeks ago, but didn't go through with it and now I've got a line on a used Decent (both from users on h-b). If that falls through, I think I'm either going to get in line for a new decent or get a breville dual boiler. It's been a good run with the silvia, I've had it for a very long time and it's made great coffee, but I'm ready for something new.

Been a long time since I've been on the site. Nothing too special to report on coffee wise but I did just blend some Tanzania and Ethiopia which was truly a treat.

In other news, I'm about to get my espresso machine back after a partial move that had me leave it at the old house, and it's just in time as it's getting hot and a great time of year for drinking shots on the patio paired with Cigars.

Hope everyone is doing well!

We’re all well here.
I’m always here, guess I should post more. Cats and I are loving the roaster!
Roast a pound or so a week. Between Rona, work and everything else life’s been ......interesting.
My most enjoyable time lately has been taking the naked ones out on the deck and just watching them soak up the world.
005B31DD-BE57-48BC-ACC3-CC78B7F0707F.jpeg

@TallDan i had a breville duo temp and their their dose control pro. A buddy of mine got their Oracle... All of our stuff had quality issues within a couple years...
Not saying that's everybody's experience, but it was ours.
Hard to beat silvia reliability tho...pretty much anything is less reliable than Miss Silvia.

@TallDan i had a breville duo temp and their their dose control pro. A buddy of mine got their Oracle... All of our stuff had quality issues within a couple years...
Not saying that's everybody's experience, but it was ours.
Hard to beat silvia reliability tho...pretty much anything is less reliable than Miss Silvia.
Yeah. I read all about the BDB on and off over the last year or so. It seems like some routine maintenance can keep them running pretty smoothly.
I’ll agree, the Silvia is maybe too reliable. Even when neglected, it will keep chugging along, just not making as good of espresso as it would if well maintained.
I didn’t order a Breville though. My v1.0 decent de-1 arrives today!

Has anyone found a good bean recently that’s chocolate forward with a good body? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Most of my beans are fruit forward and more acidic than anything else. Thanks in advance!

@jimyson good luck selling! It seems like yesterday when you brought it home after the powder coating.

Has anyone found a good bean recently that’s chocolate forward with a good body? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Most of my beans are fruit forward and more acidic than anything else. Thanks in advance!

@jimyson good luck selling! It seems like yesterday when you brought it home after the powder coating.

One of the best for chocolate and body I've had recently was the Flores Wolo Wio but of course it's out of stock as well as any others I could recommend. However, the Flores Tangkul Village looks promising.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/flores-tangkul-village-6416.html

@TallDan What's the postcard under the spoon in you picture?? Looks like Sweet Maria's postcard.

Local Homebrew shop owner has a mill city roaster. I'm jealous just a bit. I have by no means mastered my bullet or even roasting for that matter. Hard for me to believe a nicer roaster is going to fix my lack of skill.

TD

Friendly reminder that you should be able to roast as good of coffee on the Bullet as another comparily priced and sized machine.

I've by no means mastered the Bullet and am completely blown away at some of the things other roasters do with theirs. But the impressive results come from those who use it professionally or use it for their lone hobby. Neither is the case for me.

Guys...by no means do I consider myself a professional roaster, but do feel I do a very decent roast. Pretty confident I can get the Bullet to perform. I love roasting with it. I may consider getting a gas fired one sometime down the road, that has a larger capacity...lol...but not rushing to do it. I am certain with some more roasts under your belts you will feel better about the way your roasts turn out. I can share any of my profile roasts with you ( if I can find you in roastworld ) if you want.... I have 268.5 kilos of bean roasting with 373 roast sessions.

@pshankstar... I have some green beans yet that may give you your chocolate fix. Give me a holler!

@TallDan What's the postcard under the spoon in you picture?? Looks like Sweet Maria's postcard.

Local Homebrew shop owner has a mill city roaster. I'm jealous just a bit. I have by no means mastered my bullet or even roasting for that matter. Hard for me to believe a nicer roaster is going to fix my lack of skill.

TD
It is a SM postcard. Seemed like a useful one to keep by the roaster.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back