☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet marias sent an email saying konga in next day or today. I dont shop there much as you all know but I like the sound of Konga.

Ruint thanks for the full review appreciate it much. Cant recall the brand we discussed before. What about straight kegging it like a nitro stout setup, I could see myself doing both. I am getting ideas over here.

Remind me Ruint do you dilutle your cold vrew or make it drinking strength. I know its a little less than a pound per gallon.

@applescrap, you most certainly can do a keg set up with nitro. The charge pressure is a lot higher for nitro, than where we are used to for our Homebrew with CO2. Be warned, that is an awful lot of cold brewed coffee if you go with filling a corny keg even to 3/4 full. It is highly recommended to give plenty of headspace for the nitro. Maybe you have a smaller keg to work with. Until I got that one pictured above, from royal, I didn't. The cost for me to purchase this set up was actually cheaper than getting a nitrogen regulator and small nitrogen tank and stout faucet for my keezer. I do make 5 to 6 gallon batches of cold brew at a time, and if I was drinking them by myself (to be read as the wife and I), I wouldn't be able to finish it before it went bad. I normally don't dilute mine, even kegged. In the summer I pour into a glass with regular ice, because I'm too lazy to bother with making coffee cubes!!! Plus, I'm into the buzz of drinking at strength:rock:

IMG_9180.JPG

@applescrap and others. The SM’s Konga has dropped. Just ordered ten pounds and two other beans.

YEMEN HAWARI AL QAFR ROOFTOP DRIED NATURAL CROWN JEWEL

Yemen's have been hit & miss for me over the years.

This one's $9.90ish a pound (not cheap, I know). Kicking around the idea of doing some 3lb splits? Not a lot of commitment but enough of a slice to try something different. This strike anyone's fancy?

Notes of Raisin, Marshmallow, Peach & Brown Sugar. It's Dry Processed (hopefully roof top dried) and sits right in that med/small screen which tends to roast well. Density is on the lower end so although the description states good espresso, it's worth noting that dry processed & low density together can be prone to scorching/tipping.

3lb bag would be $29.73 + $7.75 shipping for a total of $37.48

Any tire kickers?

This one's $9.90ish a pound (not cheap, I know). Kicking around the idea of doing some 3lb splits? Not a lot of commitment but enough of a slice to try something different. This strike anyone's fancy?

Notes of Raisin, Marshmallow, Peach & Brown Sugar. It's Dry Processed (hopefully roof top dried) and sits right in that med/small screen which tends to roast well. Density is on the lower end so although the description states good espresso, it's worth noting that dry processed & low density together can be prone to scorching/tipping.

Any tire kickers?

If I didn’t just drop $150 on SM’s earlier I would give it a go. Thanks for offering @jammin!

Thanks, sounds so good. I just went through 5lbs of yemen so not interested but let me know if its great, I will then consider some. Let me know how the konga is!

Any tire kickers?
Sounds interesting, I will go for 3lb.

Any tire kickers?
Count me in. Thanks!

I was looking at the other Yemen they had that was also a hawari. The one that was boasting blueberry. If you still have slots open I will join for a 3 or 6 pound split of that one though @jammin.

Man that konga is just over 5 a pound if you buy 5 pounds. As if I wasnt suspect enough. Either way just over 5 for gr 1 ethiopian is a killer deal. Edit...I see its wet not dry.

What a strange month it's been. I hadn't planned to really roast for any of my "customers" in March because of my house being listed and not wanting to smoke up the place with showings. Then with the city being pretty locked down I haven't seen hardly anyone anyways. Yet people are still asking for fresh coffee because they are drinking more while at home.

Honestly I ran out of bags so I'm sort of in a pickle, plus I still don't want to roast because of showings...yet showings have slowed due to the virus. It's a strange spot to be in.

Never the less, I need to place an order through Burmans as they have the cheapest bags when you add them to a coffee purchase. If I see anything that stands out I'll let you all know. The Konga sounds great but I've got like 25 lbs of Ethiopian already. The people I sell to tend to like the more chocolatey centrals/south american beans rather than the fruity African beans.

Man that konga is just over 5 a pound if you buy 5 pounds. As if I wasnt suspect enough. Either way just over 5 for gr 1 ethiopian is a killer deal. Edit...I see its wet not dry.
I missed that it was not a dry process coffee until I got the shipment notice. The description read like a wet process coffee.

I really don't mind as I was almost out of wet process Ethiopian coffee anyways. I used to buy Kenyan coffee but prefer a less acidic coffee and wet process Ethiopian has taken it's place in my roasting rotation.

I’m asking b/c I don’t know and trust you all. What’s the difference between wet and dry process? Why does it seem that I get the feeling the “Wet Process” as being less superior to “Dry Process”?
I’ll research it later but curious to learn peoples take on it here.

Not sure I would say one is superior to the other, but dry process does/can bring certain fruit flavors from extended contact with the actual fruit of the cherry you don't usually get from wet processed coffee. Wet process coffees generally have a cleaner profile which is desirable too.

Wet process uses water to separate the fruit from the bean, dry process allows the fruit to dry on the bean before being separated.

https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/what-is-dry-processed-coffee

Wet process is typically cleaner flavors, while dry process is going to be more natural and wild flavors.

There's a time and a place for both, I personally prefer wet process as an all-day daily drinking type coffee. But I LOVE running a good dry process Ethiopian through my Chemex because the flavors can be pretty intense.

I need to try more wet process coffee, I havent drank enough to comment. I know the dry costs more per pound and seems really labor intensive vs soaking in vats of water. In the case of that Gedeb Wuri, after picking and sorting the coffee by hand they put them on raised beds, only during the best part of the day to prevent over drying, then they turn them and cover when rains etc for 18 to 21 days straight. The beans soaking up the wild flavors of the cherry. Apparently wet has a more refined clean flavor. I need to try some wet of same bean to compare.

Anyone hear or know about this? A co-worker came in and said he finally got this after a month and a half after ordering it. Says some parts outsourced, but made in China...burrs are done in Italy supposedly....snapped some pictures to share with you all. It is very well built. The wood knob has bearings, and the hex shaft that mates to the other end of the handle, it has bearings as well. The Burr set is supposed to be titanium. Looks like it is supported by bearings too. No report on how well it grinds yet.....
IMG_20200323_130125.jpeg
IMG_20200323_130129.jpeg
IMG_20200323_130138.jpeg
IMG_20200323_130159.jpeg
IMG_20200323_130226.jpeg
IMG_20200323_130500.jpeg
IMG_20200323_130243.jpeg
IMG_20200323_130301.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 673442 My Sweet Maria’s order arrived moments ago. I ordered 10 pounds of the konga and they shipped it in four 2 pound bags and two 1 pound bags. No big deal but never seen them ship like that before. Anyhow, can’t wait to roast some new beans in the coming weeks.
I’ve had some orders split up like that before. I’m guessing that they don’t always bag to order, maybe when they anticipate something will sell fast. Or might just be order cancellations.

Well closed on the new house last week! Fortunately I had some overlap and will be able to keep roasting while we work on the light renovations and slow-mo moving. In preparation for this past weekend's house work I roasted about 3 lbs of beans and packed them with my spare coffee maker to leave at the new place. It helped us get through the long weekend of work without missing a beat.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do for my roasting area in the new place. Needing to vent it adds a wrinkle, but that's part of the gig. Been toying with the idea of building a shared roasting/brewing area but realistically it would be overkill.

I'll share some pictures once I get something figured out in the future. Just wanted to drop in and say it looks like I won't be without good coffee like I had originally thought (well, unless I screw up a roast or two).

Yes indeed!!! Sometimes close to infuriating it is. You spend a bit of time going over the coffee bean descriptions, back and forth, finally decide to go with a few choice picks, and then bamo!!!!! Right after you place the order, new arrivals show up, and there they are tempting you to get some more!!! I know that story well...lmao!!!

Had some Seattle's best decaf. "Medium roast", drain pour. I just cant do the carbon. How's the konga?
My buddy roasted a pound in a pampered chef air fryer. 20 minutes for the pound. Didnt hear first crack.

Not bad looking beans there. What is your roasting method BH? I see varying colors which is expected with a blended bean mix, didn't see scorching or tipping. You are doing pretty good for just a couple months in...what is your take on the world of home roasted? I couldn't believe the world's of difference! Can't stand coffee chain coffee now, and won't even consider grocery store bought coffee! I have become a snob!!! LoL!!

Not bad looking beans there. What is your roasting method BH? I see varying colors which is expected with a blended bean mix, didn't see scorching or tipping. You are doing pretty good for just a couple months in...what is your take on the world of home roasted? I couldn't believe the world's of difference! Can't stand coffee chain coffee now, and won't even consider grocery store bought coffee! I have become a snob!!! LoL!!

Thanks! A buddy got me a beginner kit for Christmas which included a popcorn roaster and like 6 pounds of coffee... I fell in love instantly. Beans turned out pretty good on the popcorn roaster but I wanted to be able to control the temperature a bit more so I upgraded to a SR800. I'm still tinkering with the settings to dial it in but I've been pretty happy with it. But I totally agree it's an awesome hobby and it makes me appreciate what good local roasters can do.

So, for the second morning in a row, I went with the Papau New Guinea beans that has the pulpy orange juice flavor as my espresso. I am thinking that I enjoy this coffee more as an espresso, as I do with a "normal" brewed cup. The orange is still very prominent, but for some reason seems to be more balanced with a brown sugar sweetness.

Last edited:
Welcome to the rabbit hole bh, good looking roast.

Dang you three dont play when ordering coffee. What did you get? Hope you share different tasting notes and roasting tips. I now store mine cold a jammin tip. Well, hows the Yemen and konga, eager to hear. Drinking a little more coffee lately. Super bummed obviously but cheerful as my norm. Ordered decaf, really excited for it. Need those decaf roasting tips again. Bodhi leaf put all of their guat lots on sale 20 percent off. I went looking for the geisha and found the decaf.

Back