☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard they were friends with the royal guys. Jammins/royal coffee price beats theirs so that's pretty cool.
Screenshot_20190725-233440_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Anyone else make espresso with a Papau New Guinea?

Over the years I’ve seen several listed at Sweet Maria’s with the remarks “not good for espresso”. This always seemed counterintuitive based on the cupping charts & notes. Who wouldn’t want a heavy bodied, molasses/syrupy shot?
I’ve tried with a few different varieties now and I can’t get any of them to work. Not even remotely. This last one I had to grind significantly finer to slow the shot down to a reasonable time and even still it poured somewhat fast... and it tasted awful.
Not sure what it is with this varietal but it’s unlike anything else I’ve tried in this regard.

Anyone else make espresso with a Papau New Guinea?

DANG I just made espresso but didn't see this until just now. I was going to make some PNG but at the last second I grabbed the Ethiopian. It's too late for me to pull another shot today but I'll see if I can do it tomorrow with the PNG I've got.

I finally got around to some maintenance I needed to do on the Bullet. I've noticed my airflow hasn't been great with my exhaust the last few roasts and I got a few error messages when I tried charging higher temps. It's probably because I had almost a 1/8" of caked on chaff dust on my exhaust fan.

I didn't put as much time into it as I could have, but hey - why reach perfection on the first attempt? Then you have nothing left to strive for in the future! ;)

upload_2019-7-29_16-20-24.png

Wow, you win. I recently gave my Behmor a good cleaning and wiped some of that crap off the fan and exhaust port(?) as well.

I was a lot better about my maintenance on the Behmor; gave it a good deep cleaning about every 6 months (taking off the side panel and whatnot).

The Bullet is a little more contained so you don't get quite as much crap building up on stuff in the roaster. I got about 150 lbs through this in the past year before it gave me enough fits to actually do something about it. I should have done it sooner, yeah...but it didn't matter really. Now that I know how to find and loosen the set screw (since I couldn't find it with that much crap caked on there...), I'm going to do this more often.

I went ahead and pulled the "not good for espresso" PNG this morning. I roasted this about 8 days ago and I've really been enjoying this a lot as pour over in the Able Kone, getting tobacco, Molasses, and chocolate. However, it really was not good as espresso. Just a blend of no distinct flavors, or maybe too many distinct flavors. As it cooled a bit I got some bakers chocolate, but only at the very end.

@jammin I know it's only one shot but I have to say it was disappointing and not worth wasting it on. I'll try it again another time though just to see.
20190730_063749.jpeg

If you were to make an Americano out of a shot of the png....would it be as good or better than a pour over then?

Just curiouso_O

Good question. I don't know, but it's something I have thought about on occasion. My thinking is that since the coffee will get it's flavor from the extraction process, and since the espresso-making extraction process does not work kindly with PNG (at least in my case study), the americano would not be as good as the same coffee made via pour over.

I could, of course, do a side by side blind taste test....but I just ran out of my roasted PNG haha.

Strange thing this morning. I roasted some coffee a few weeks ago and ground it up before vacation so we would have some coffee for two weeks. There was some coffee left so I have been using it since Sunday back home without any ill affects. This morning I brewed a pot of coffee like I normally do except it was at 4am. Took a mug of it with me while driving my in-laws to the airport and enjoyed it. My wife poured some of the same coffee around 8:30am and said it tasted very watered down. I tried it and it did! I poured what was left in the carafe into my mug and it tasted very watered down too. It was sitting in a carafe, no hot plate. Brewed another pot of coffee and it tasted better but seemed to be a little watered down again.

I always get the water from the fridge dispenser and keep up with changing the filter. I always measure out the coffee beans or grounds (50 grams) for a full pot. I recently cleaned the coffee maker on 7/1, its a Bonavita Connoisseur drip machine. The only thing I can think of is the water source has recently changed given the construction down the road. I'm not sure b/c I make the coffee the same way all the time, water to coffee ratio and what not and water from the same source, filtered not from the faucet. Even the same coffee has been used since Sunday morning. So strange!

Strange thing this morning. I roasted some coffee a few weeks ago and ground it up before vacation so we would have some coffee for two weeks. There was some coffee left so I have been using it since Sunday back home without any ill affects. This morning I brewed a pot of coffee like I normally do except it was at 4am. Took a mug of it with me while driving my in-laws to the airport and enjoyed it. My wife poured some of the same coffee around 8:30am and said it tasted very watered down. I tried it and it did! I poured what was left in the carafe into my mug and it tasted very watered down too. It was sitting in a carafe, no hot plate. Brewed another pot of coffee and it tasted better but seemed to be a little watered down again.

I always get the water from the fridge dispenser and keep up with changing the filter. I always measure out the coffee beans or grounds (50 grams) for a full pot. I recently cleaned the coffee maker on 7/1, its a Bonavita Connoisseur drip machine. The only thing I can think of is the water source has recently changed given the construction down the road. I'm not sure b/c I make the coffee the same way all the time, water to coffee ratio and what not and water from the same source, filtered not from the faucet. Even the same coffee has been used since Sunday morning. So strange!
Broken grinder? Not heating? Coming out too quick? Just throwing some stuff out. Ratios? I use probably right around 50g for 4 cups sometimes more or less. I prefer one good cup. Also light roast is different.

A word on that, so I use at least two tablespoons for 5 or 6 oz water. And I see coffee being made with fantastically small amounts. I think I figured it out. The taste of char is so powerful that even the slightest amount puts it there. So 7 eleven for example, I have seen them make coffee, it's what i use for four pot. My dad, father in law, raised and dedicated to char of yesteryear take a sip and taste the slightest hint of char and yum, its coffee. Srsly, I do to. Take one sip and yep, that's burnt coffee.

I have thought about measuring. Did the other day, but now thinking differently about this conversation. Strength is a variable like anything else and in my opinion can and should be adjusted for both for varietal and roast. Sometimes a weaker coffee can seem to bring out more of the delicate fruit flavors in Ethiopians for example. For espresso sure, but not convinced all brewing is one weight fits all. Thoughts?

Broken grinder? Not heating? Coming out too quick? Just throwing some stuff out. Ratios? I use probably right around 50g for 4 cups sometimes more or less. I prefer one good cup. Also light roast is different.

A word on that, so I use at least two tablespoons for 5 or 6 oz water. And I see coffee being made with fantastically small amounts. I think I figured it out. The taste of char is so powerful that even the slightest amount puts it there. So 7 eleven for example, I have seen them make coffee, it's what i use for four pot. My dad, father in law, raised and dedicated to char of yesteryear take a sip and taste the slightest hint of char and yum, its coffee. Srsly, I do to. Take one sip and yep, that's burnt coffee.

I have thought about measuring. Did the other day, but now thinking differently about this conversation. Strength is a variable like anything else and in my opinion can and should be adjusted for both for varietal and roast. Sometimes a weaker coffee can seem to bring out more of the delicate fruit flavors in Ethiopians for example. For espresso sure, but not convinced all brewing is one weight fits all. Thoughts?

I didn't time the coffee maker nor measure the temperature of the coffee. I've settled on 50g of coffee for the 1.3L coffee maker. What's really strange is, the coffee was grounded on 7/14 before we left for vacation for two weeks. So yeah it's "old" but I figured I would use it up instead of tossing it. Plus I haven't roasted any beans since returning this past Saturday evening. I've been making coffee with these beans the last three mornings without any issues or strange taste and then today this happens.

Could it be the beans and their age? Normally I only grind what I need when brewing coffee but what really is strange is the noticeable difference this morning vs. the last three days. I'll continue to look into this.

I have been experimenting with ratios a bit. Varying how many TBs to put in a 1L French press. Usually 6 rounded TBs works well. I also use a reuse insert for a Keurig when all I want is 1 cup. The insert has 2 fill lines for how much coffee to put in, covering 8 and 12oz. But I play around with those metrics to see what happens. Some coffees I can fill the insert for 8oz and get a flavorful 12oz cup--very efficient. Other coffees I need to fill to the 12oz line just to squeak out a decent 8oz pour. In short, there's no rhyme or reason. If I make an 8 oz cup and it's weak, next one gets more coffee. Good thing I have lots of coffee to experiment with.

Strange thing this morning. I roasted some coffee a few weeks ago and ground it up before vacation so we would have some coffee for two weeks. There was some coffee left so I have been using it since Sunday back home without any ill affects. This morning I brewed a pot of coffee like I normally do except it was at 4am. Took a mug of it with me while driving my in-laws to the airport and enjoyed it.

I don't know anything about your brewer, but did you happen to remove the carafe and pour your mug while the coffee maker was still brewing? I mention this because the first drippings are stronger, thus leaving behind slightly weaker coffee.

Separate but related, 50 grams for 1.3 L of water is really weak, in my opinion. That's a ratio of about 26:1. I personally brew at 16:1; lots of cafes are around 15:1-17:1. Just something else to consider, though I understand nothing would have changed from your previous routines.

I don't know anything about your brewer, but did you happen to remove the carafe and pour your mug while the coffee maker was still brewing? I mention this because the first drippings are stronger, thus leaving behind slightly weaker coffee.

Separate but related, 50 grams for 1.3 L of water is really weak, in my opinion. That's a ratio of about 26:1. I personally brew at 16:1; lots of cafes are around 15:1-17:1. Just something else to consider, though I understand nothing would have changed from your previous routines.
Dont know how this is calculated but based on these numbers I brew closer to 13, 14, or 15 to 1.

Dont know how this is calculated but based on these numbers I brew closer to 13, 14, or 15 to 1.

If you weigh your grinds and your brew water, it's just a matter of dividing the amount of brew water by the amount of coffee.

For instance, I use 736 grams of water and 46 grams of coffee. This is 16:1 ratio. It also happens to be the optimal amount of coffee in my mug which doesn't spill while walking to the train.

Note: When you show up at peoples' houses with a scale to weigh your pour over, they will think you have other problems.

If you weigh your grinds and your brew water, it's just a matter of dividing the amount of brew water by the amount of coffee.

For instance, I use 736 grams of water and 46 grams of coffee. This is 16:1 ratio. It also happens to be the optimal amount of coffee in my mug which doesn't spill while walking to the train.

Note: When you show up at peoples' houses with a scale to weigh your pour over, they will think you have other problems.
Haha, no doubt. Using a converter 736 grams of water is approximately 26 or so ounces of water. So between 4 and 5 cups depending on 5 vs 6 oz cups. And with 46 grams of coffee, I would venture that we brew really similar ratios. I will go stronger or weaker than that depending on varietal and roast.

I have only done two cup pour overs,maybe that has been my problem. Need to brew a larger batch maybe.

I weighed the ground coffee in a level scoop (I think it's 1 Tbs), it's around 9g. So, at 16:1 ratio, about one level scoop for every 5 oz. water. Sounds about right, as I put 2 level scoops in the Keurig adapter to dispense 10oz coffee. Coffee densities will vary, but on most mornings close enough for the girls I date. Now I can try some different ratios and see how that impacts flavor.

I weighed the ground coffee in a level scoop (I think it's 1 Tbs), it's around 9g. So, at 16:1 ratio, about one level scoop for every 5 oz. water. Sounds about right, as I put 2 level scoops in the Keurig adapter to dispense 10oz coffee. Coffee densities will vary, but on most mornings close enough for the girls I date. Now I can try some different ratios and see how that impacts flavor.
So I use near two tbl spoons per k cup for 6oz on Keurig or 5 oz. For me a keurig on small for two tbl. Near a quarter cup, 4 tbl per 2 cups in pot. Near half cup, 8 tbl, for 4 - 5 or 6 oz cups. I am using a little less these days, but it's clear what I prefer. In the words of Abe Lincoln, if this is coffee, bring me tea, if its tea, bring me coffee.

Quick update. I upped the coffee grounds (same Beans from vacation) to 70g which should be around 18.5 : 1 ratio. The coffee tastes better to me but I’ll have to see what my wife thinks when she has a cup later this morning.
I went back and looked at the manual last night for the Bonavita and they recommend 65g for the full 1300 which seems low but higher than what I was doing. Anyhow we shall see what the Mrs thinks later this morning.

UPDATE: My wife says it’s better this morning but not as good. I’m starting to wonder if we are experiencing beans that are 18 days old since they were ground dropping their flavor and aroma. I’ll need to roast more beans today to have them ready for the weekend.

Last edited:
@MaxStout I blended the Colombian and pea berry at 50/50, roasted to about city+, and let it rest for 2 days. Man that is the smoothest coffee :rock:. Thanks again!

Glad you like it!

I roasted that LF Red Honey Bourbon about full city or so. Just had a few cups so far, very nice. Haven't tried pulling espresso with it yet.

Haven't posted in a bit, but still playing around with different roasts to pull a clean shot of espresso.
Finally got some Ethiopian nailed that makes a smooth, tasty pull with zero bitterness - woo hoo!
Also drinking some Columbian decaf and using that for cappuccino.

Happy Friday, all.

Glad you like it!

I roasted that LF Red Honey Bourbon about full city or so. Just had a few cups so far, very nice. Haven't tried pulling espresso with it yet.
I did mine around city. If you go that light it takes a long rest. Very acidic. Next time I will go darker.

Side note on my espresso/cappuccino experiences......some people can make pretty leaves, trees and other designs when they add the milk/cream.
Me?......well what do YOU see?!?!
IMG_20190801_083940.jpg

Back