☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke down and brewed a single cup. It tastes a little over-roasted for my taste but I will reserve judgement for tomorrow or the next day.

Would you elaborate here? Was it bitter?

Hmm... Well, the first morning (~18 hours after roasting), I thought that I may not have roasted dark enough. The coffee had a different flavor than I'm used to, not bitter, but I guess I might describe it as herbal. That taste is still present in the coffee this morning, but much better balanced with the other flavors.

Now, thinking about it, when I roasted the first batch in the popper I kept it in there until the second crack started. Then, thinking that I may have overdone the first batch, I roasted the second one shorter, maybe 60-90 seconds past the finish of the first crack. Those two batches (each under 1/2 cup of unroasted beans) I mixed together after cooling. So, It's possible that even after mixing, i just happened to get more of the lightly roasted beans Wednesday morning when i scooped them out, and then a better mix since then.

If you want to get into roasting and have some cash, a Hottop B is a great little roaster. If you reach out to Michael at Hottop, you might be able to snag a refurb for a discount.

Any idea how much of a discount? Those roasters look fantastic, but I think it would be hard for me to justify that kind of money at this stage in the game.

Roast'n some Guat this morning

the kit
1zfpilf.jpg

beans in the drying phase
xelilh.jpg

obligatory roast shot
ixyttt.jpg

Artisan roast profile
14w7f3r.jpg

So first batch is done and I learned a bit. My popper said max capacity is 3.5oz so I started with 3oz which turned out to be a little too much. I will try maybe 2 or 2.5 oz for hopefully a more even roast. Took a little over 4 minutes to get to 2nd crack. Lets see if I can wait until Saturday morning to try it

IIRC, you can achieve a "better quality" roast by extending your roasting time to the ~10 minute range (little less, little more is fine). Effectively, you're progressing through the various stages a bit slower which can help develop richer and more distinct flavors (in addition to a more even roast). Using an air popper, I was able to extend my roasting time to about 8-9 minutes by using a 50 length of extension cord which has the effect of reducing the wattage thereby reducing how hot the air temperature is; had I not, I was also in the same quick 4 minute range. Another tool I used was a wooden stick to stir the beans during the roast which can help eliminate some heat thereby extending the roasting time. It's been a bit over a year since I last roasted a batch but this is my recollection.

Of course, jammin has it NAILED! :D

Roast'n some Guat this morning
<Impressive looking pictures>

Mmmm! Wow, Jammin! This is some serious gourmet stuff! Me and BrewinHooligan are happy with our popcorn poppers right, but he springs this serious GOURMET gear on us!
tumblr_lg0jde9JTC1qgi26jo1_500.jpg

Is there any comparison between that and lower end machines? It looks like a mini version of the big commercial roasters.

haha - i love pulp fiction. one of my all-time favs

air roasters are inherently different than drum roasters as they rely solely on convection. high air flow roasts typically produce more acidic roasts that spotlight the "high" notes of a coffee. a good drum roaster can produce any spectrum you like in the right hands.

if you're willing to search craiglist or raid your mother inlaw's pantry - you could source a good bread machine. You can get great control with a bread machine and a heat gun and slow the roast down quite a bit. poppers tend to move at light speed haha. I almost died when I read that someone reached 2nd crack in 4 minutes haha - WOW

Here are a few shots of the kit I used to roast coffee while deployed to Baghdad for a year... it's not easy roasting coffee when it's 120* outside haha

imag0102_1.jpg

imag0103.jpg

TC-1.jpg

haha - i love pulp fiction. one of my all-time favs

air roasters are inherently different than drum roasters as they rely solely on convection. high air flow roasts typically produce more acidic roasts that spotlight the "high" notes of a coffee. a good drum roaster can produce any spectrum you like in the right hands.

if you're willing to search craiglist or raid your mother inlaw's pantry - you could source a good bread machine. You can get great control with a bread machine and a heat gun and slow the roast down quite a bit. poppers tend to move at light speed haha. I almost died when I read that someone reached 2nd crack in 4 minutes haha - WOW

Here are a few shots of the kit I used to roast coffee while deployed to Baghdad for a year... it's not easy roasting coffee when it's 120* outside haha

imag0102_1.jpg

imag0103.jpg

TC-1.jpg

That is some impressive use of what you have on hand. I was shocked myself at how fast the popcorn popper was and definitely want to slow it down. A thrift store close to me has some nice looking bread machines for about $20, I may have to look into that.

So far so good! That was a LOT easier than I thought it would be. I grabbed one of the samplers I got from Sweet Maria's and roasted (btw, it was $20 for four different 1# bags of green beans).

It took about 6 or 7 minutes in my Whirley Popper. The fan pulled up most of the smoke, so you can do this indoors. When it was done cracking, I tossed it back and forth between two metal perforated pots to cool it off. It keeps cooking when you remove it from the stove, so you need to do something to cool it off. I took it outside so the chaff would blow off out there.

Looks like coffee, smells like coffee. We'll see this weekend when I grind it up. I did toss one piece in my mouth and it was exactly what I expected. Very cool!

_mg_7970-62254.jpg

_mg_7972-62255.jpg

_mg_7973-62256.jpg

_mg_7978-62257.jpg

_mg_7980-62258.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, I think I could go to a full pound roast here. If you look into the Whirley Popper pic there, you can see that the beans didn't come close to covering the bottom. I'll go for the whole monte next roast, after I find out how bad my current batch is.

Now to send the wife to garage sales in search of a whirley popper! (If/when this miserable winter ends.:cross:)

I've long wanted to try roasting beans in a popper, and for even longer have I been a coffee fanatic drinking coffee made from retail-roasted beans. For those of us on the fence...can someone actually do a comparison as to how homemade roasted coffee tastes compared to something retail? Fresher, different taste, better flavor, less acidic, etc?

I just mentioned this to the wife a minute ago and she goes 'sounds like a lot of work if its the same as what we buy.' Of course, I commented on how that's the case for anything homemade (beer, dinner, bread, whatever).

So, some anecdotal evidence from someone would be great. (no need to go all beeradvocate reviewer on it though)

I've long wanted to try roasting beans in a popper, and for even longer have I been a coffee fanatic drinking coffee made from retail-roasted beans. For those of us on the fence...can someone actually do a comparison as to how homemade roasted coffee tastes compared to something retail? Fresher, different taste, better flavor, less acidic, etc?

I just mentioned this to the wife a minute ago and she goes 'sounds like a lot of work if its the same as what we buy.' Of course, I commented on how that's the case for anything homemade (beer, dinner, bread, whatever).

So, some anecdotal evidence from someone would be great. (no need to go all beeradvocate reviewer on it though)

I'm going to brew it tomorrow. I get really good locally-roasted beans normally, so I would be much surprised if it is better than that.

If it sounds like a lot of work then I didn't describe it well. It took no more than 10 minutes, and there was no cleanup (I never wash my whirley popper). I'd say the roasting was done in about 7 minutes, then I ran outside and tossed the beans between two metal pots for a few minutes to cool and discharge the chaff. That was it. It will leave your kitchen smelling strongly of roasted coffee for a few hours.

I would say that my home roasted coffee tastes very much like some fresh roasted coffee I've bought from local roasters. Now, I think that I have pretty high standards for coffee, and routinely get coffee from a roaster that is widely considered one of the best in the country. The little bit that I've done in a popcorn popper does not compare to very fresh coffee from them, but getting freshly roasted coffee is not particularly easy in many cases.

If you usually buy coffee from a grocery store with no attention paid to roasting date, you may be blown away by some fresh home-roasted coffee. And if you live in an area that does not have a good coffee roaster, it would probably be far cheaper to roast your own than having it shipped regularly (as I used to do before I moved). Right now, I'm mostly interested in roasting coffee to understand different roasts levels and how they taste. If I stick with it and make some great coffee, that's great. If I lose interest, at least I hope to get some better understanding about roasting.

Right now, I'm mostly interested in roasting coffee to understand different roasts levels and how they taste. If I stick with it and make some great coffee, that's great. If I lose interest, at least I hope to get some better understanding about roasting.

^^ This.

Before I brewed beer, I liked beer but I had no idea what it was that I liked about it. Having brewed beer, I have a much bigger appreciation for beer.

Same for coffee. I've been a coffee drinker for 22 years. Until now, I had no idea about the different roasts. Watching it happen on your stove, and being able to dial in your roast level, is making coffee drinking a much richer experience for me, even if I don't continue roasting my own.

Played around with my air popper popper today and am getting things dialed in. I took the advice to use an extension cord to limit the wattage, I need to start with 1.5oz of green beans, and shortly after the first crack when most of the chaff comes off, I remove the top to make sure the temp isn't too hot. This resulted in a slower, more even roast and I'm anxious to try the results.

1393095064827.jpg

Played around with my air popper popper today and am getting things dialed in. I took the advice to use an extension cord to limit the wattage, I need to start with 1.5oz of green beans, and shortly after the first crack when most of the chaff comes off, I remove the top to make sure the temp isn't too hot. This resulted in a slower, more even roast and I'm anxious to try the results.

That looks great. Are you going to let it offgas? I read that coffee needs to be allowed to offgas CO2 for a day or two.

From the Coffee Roasting wiki,

However, because coffee emits CO2 after roasting, coffee to be vacuum packed must be allowed to de-gas for several days before it is sealed.

BTW, that wiki has some excellent pics of different roasts.

That looks great. Are you going to let it offgas? I read that coffee needs to be allowed to offgas CO2 for a day or two.

From the Coffee Roasting wiki,

BTW, that wiki has some excellent pics of different roasts.

Yeah, on the other side of the bag is a valve just for that purpose! For 50 cents a piece it is supposed keep the oxygen out and let the co2 escape keeping it fresh longer.

For those without the valved bags, you can just use a jar with snug (but not tight) lid. If you're a kegger then you can purge with co2 prior to putting the lid on. After that, the co2 builds and pushes by the lid, but no outside air works it's way in - that is, until you open it to brew a cup :D

I have one of the airscape canisters that gets rid of the headspace in the coffee canister. Fresh roasted coffee gives off enough co2 to build a little pressure in there, but not enough to cause a problem.

Also, I'm roasting small amounts of coffee (maybe 4-6oz) and storing them for use within a week. I don't think that's enough time to be too worried about oxygen in contact with the beans if they're stored in an airtight container and don't have fresh oxygen circulating over them. A perceived major advantage for home roasting to me is roasting enough for a few days to a week at a time and having that on hand. Longer storage would definitely have different concerns.

Sounds like you all are having a great time getting into roasting, and kudos for your efforts! I have been roasting for about 4 years, and mainly do it so that I know my coffee is fresh, saves a little bit of money and it tastes really good.

I started out with a heavy skillet and roasted with it for about 6 months and it worked out ok. I guess I was getting lazy and whisking for 20-30 minutes was getting old. Since I had been severely bitten by the bug I decided to jump in with both feet and buy a Behmor 1600. It's a wonderful investment. I usually roast 8-12oz batches and go through maybe a pound or so a week. I think I calculated that in the first 3 years of ownership, I have paid off the Behmor as a result of the savings on green beans. Not that it was my goal but I'm not complaining either.

The Behmor is supposed to do 1# batches, but I find that if I want to roast on the darker side, then 1# is almost too much. 8-12oz is fine and you can roast pretty dark. You'll find that different beans do better at different roast levels. For example, I roast Yirgacheffe short and hot, Brazilians low and slow. Sumatras typically are roasted darker to bring out its trademark characteristics. If you're a dark-roast fanatic, be aware that not all beans will exhibit their best characteristics at a Vienna or French roast. Some beans have more delicate properties and high roast levels will burn much of the subtleties away.

I do experiment a lot, but Yirgacheffe is my staple for drip coffee and Brazilian for single-origin espresso. There are lots of other good varieties, though. Just like beer, it's all personal preference. I have purchased many a pound from Sweet Marias and have always had good luck with them. They have tons of good info on their site, which you have likely already seen. Now, though, I have a local place that sells green beans so I have been sourcing from them for a couple years or so.

As for cooling and degassing, I do try to degas a day or two in a bag with one-way valve. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and I forego that, but I think it does help.

Best of luck to you on your coffee roasting!!

Yeah, on the other side of the bag is a valve just for that purpose! For 50 cents a piece it is supposed keep the oxygen out and let the co2 escape keeping it fresh longer.

I've got to locate some of those bags. Where did you get yours?

Sounds like you all are having a great time getting into roasting, and kudos for your efforts! I have been roasting for about 4 years, and mainly do it so that I know my coffee is fresh, saves a little bit of money and it tastes really good.

I started out with a heavy skillet and roasted with it for about 6 months and it worked out ok. I guess I was getting lazy and whisking for 20-30 minutes was getting old. Since I had been severely bitten by the bug I decided to jump in with both feet and buy a Behmor 1600. It's a wonderful investment. I usually roast 8-12oz batches and go through maybe a pound or so a week. I think I calculated that in the first 3 years of ownership, I have paid off the Behmor as a result of the savings on green beans. Not that it was my goal but I'm not complaining either.

The Behmor is supposed to do 1# batches, but I find that if I want to roast on the darker side, then 1# is almost too much. 8-12oz is fine and you can roast pretty dark. You'll find that different beans do better at different roast levels. For example, I roast Yirgacheffe short and hot, Brazilians low and slow. Sumatras typically are roasted darker to bring out its trademark characteristics. If you're a dark-roast fanatic, be aware that not all beans will exhibit their best characteristics at a Vienna or French roast. Some beans have more delicate properties and high roast levels will burn much of the subtleties away.

I do experiment a lot, but Yirgacheffe is my staple for drip coffee and Brazilian for single-origin espresso. There are lots of other good varieties, though. Just like beer, it's all personal preference. I have purchased many a pound from Sweet Marias and have always had good luck with them. They have tons of good info on their site, which you have likely already seen. Now, though, I have a local place that sells green beans so I have been sourcing from them for a couple years or so.

As for cooling and degassing, I do try to degas a day or two in a bag with one-way valve. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and I forego that, but I think it does help.

Very cool. If I keep this up I'll probably invest in some sort of high-tech gadgetry. That seems to be my way.

I am interested in hearing more about the Behmor. I read somewhere online that it takes a bit of tinkering with the builtin roast programs to get things right, would you agree? Can you roast small amounts effectively with it? (Like 4oz or so)

I've got to locate some of those bags. Where did you get yours?

Very cool. If I keep this up I'll probably invest in some sort of high-tech gadgetry. That seems to be my way.

I got the bags from sweet Maria's. They have a few different sizes and make a nice presentation for gifts.

I am interested in hearing more about the Behmor. I read somewhere online that it takes a bit of tinkering with the builtin roast programs to get things right, would you agree? Can you roast small amounts effectively with it? (Like 4oz or so)

I have a Behmor, and haven't mucked with the thing that much (e.g., added temperature probes and the like that some people have done). I do, however, use the straightforward temperature cycle (P1) and open the door at first crack to slow down the roast. Makes for a little mess, as there is some chaff that flies out the door, but I stand there at the ready with a shop vac and suck it up soon after it lands to appease SWMBO.

Been a pro roaster for 3 years before starting a new career, roasted coffee just about every way you can imagine but settled on a dedicated pot and spoon. Not sure if it's been mentioned but the aeropress is my favorite way to have coffee, its a cheap and easy way to make espresso at home without a fancy machine

Been a pro roaster for 3 years before starting a new career, roasted coffee just about every way you can imagine but settled on a dedicated pot and spoon. Not sure if it's been mentioned but the aeropress is my favorite way to have coffee, its a cheap and easy way to make espresso at home without a fancy machine

You mean you just put the beans in a pot and stirred with a spoon?

yep, it's just the bottom of a whirly pop, after the teeth on the gears broke off I said F- it and started stirring. It's a workout but I have total control. The other gripe I had about the whirly pop was how the only thing moving the beans where two pieces of wire, leaving some beans in place to sit there and scorch

forgot to mention, I also like to have cold brew in the summer http://toddycafe.com/

technically not espresso, I find the flavor to be somewhere between drip-brewed and french press. But if you use the right water/grounds ratio and the right grind it does produce an espresso-strength "shot" but less twang than one pulled by a barista. I usually just make coffee with it myself, I just fill it to level 1 with coffee and to level 2 with hot water, press and top off my "shot" with more hot water. Like a poor man's Americano

I roasted a full pound tonight. Timed it at 9:10. That's when I remove from the stovetop and start tossing between two pans (outside) to cool it. I could probably go longer but I've been really worried about burning the coffee.

Anyway, except for the possibility that 9:10 wasn't long enough, the Whirley Pop does a full pound just fine. BTW, I stirred continuously.

This batch was some sort of Sumatra something-or-other. Supposed to have kumquat, kiwi, and caramel notes. Haha, we'll see about that.

_mg_7998-62293.jpg

_mg_8000-62294.jpg

Last edited:
passeddawn - just a heads up. brazil, ethiopia and sumatra are all typically "soft beans" (less dense than kenya, shg guat, rwanda, burundi etc). take caution moving into first crack (1C) as they are more susceptible to to scorching.

as a rule of thumb, beans cannot absorb heat as quickly as they dry out. this means, the further you are into a roast the easier it is to burn your beans. this last batch looks worlds better then the first you posted so you're probably getting the hang of it.

I roasted a full pound tonight. Timed it at 9:10. That's when I remove from the stovetop and start tossing between two pans (outside) to cool it. I could probably go longer but I've been really worried about burning the coffee.

Anyway, except for the possibility that 9:10 wasn't long enough, the Whirley Pop does a full pound just fine. BTW, I stirred continuously.

This batch was some sort of Sumatra something-or-other. Supposed to have kumquat, kiwi, and caramel notes. Haha, we'll see about that.

_mg_7998-62293.jpg

_mg_8000-62294.jpg

Beautiful beans my man. Eat some!

passeddawn - just a heads up. brazil, ethiopia and sumatra are all typically "soft beans" (less dense than kenya, shg guat, rwanda, burundi etc). take caution moving into first crack (1C) as they are more susceptible to to scorching.

as a rule of thumb, beans cannot absorb heat as quickly as they dry out. this means, the further you are into a roast the easier it is to burn your beans. this last batch looks worlds better then the first you posted so you're probably getting the hang of it.

Thanks for that info, and Thanks! The truth will be in the tasting. I have to say that the first batch was really really tasty. I drink a LOT of coffee, all different kinds, and I tasted a nuttiness and breadiness in my first batch taht I have never tasted in coffee before. If it gets any better I might just drown myself in it.

Beautiful beans my man. Eat some!

Don't think I haven't Hoppy! Maybe I'll do a light roast and cover some with chocolate!

Back