☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roasting a Java wet hulled Srikandi and a EYC dry process Gedeb Asasa tonight. might try blending them later.

snapped a pic tonight that I'll upload later of the roast/brew zone.

Like a dope I posted the photo a couple pages back to an old post not realizing...
Oh well.

I took the png to work today. I told them it had chocolate and caramel characteristics (which was pretty delicious). Everyone loved it and couldn't believe the flavor.

But one woman said, "how do you get those flavors? Do you roast caramel beans and chocolate beans?"

When that's the question, there really is no suitable answer.

The behmor is a tough nut to crack. With limited ventilation a roast can progress quite quickly so it's hard to say exactly what happened but that would be my hunch. I've heard several folks crack the door during the stretch to temper rate of rise.
I see a lot of stuff to read here. You guys are sharing a lot of different experience that gains more insights.

So my work partner/friend and I were drinking that honduran coffee and he says he prefers his "buttery caramel" blend. So we go in our office and he pours me some. And we both were like g.. damn that sucks. That s..t tasted like rat poison after a fresh roast. You guys have basically ensured I will roast coffee till I die, thanks. Kenyan bodhi leaf "favorite". Heard little cracks at 7 ish and first crack at 8, finished in 10. Now I'm shaking, listening, looking, and am more aware. Don't know jack, but I'm giving it hell. Oh btw spilt a quarter pound or so of beans, woopsie, and still had 2 pounds.?:)

PassedPawn your whirly pop roasts looked way better than mine. Is putting your whirly pop in the charcoal how it failed or was it just usage? Also how many pounds were you able to make at once in it? Starting to think 2 pounds would make life easier.

I only did that once, as an experiment. That's the day it failed. I had done a couple of roasts before that on the stove, but I was trying to avoid all the smoke in the house. I can't recall how that coal roast ended up.

By the time I replaced that Whirley (with the metal gear variety), I had made a different roaster with the stir crazy / turbo oven. That SCTO has served me pretty well.

That looks like a mighy fine roast!

I probably would have gotten one of those commercial rigs that you guys have if the SC/TO hadn't worked out. I still might. I really like the roasters that have steel barrels that turn and use hot forced air to get a nice even roast. I can see how that would be ideal. And, I really like the feedback with the temp sensors to be able to compare roasts and finely control the heating profile.

Enthusiast sites like HBT are full of fancy gadgets that make your hobby better. For many of us, there's a finite amount of money for frivolous stuff like this, so you make decisions. For you guys with kids living at college, you know that it's no small feat paying for tuition/housing/food/cars/incidentals. I've got 3 kids in colleges out there in the world, and I'm paying their way to make sure they come out with no (or little) debt. So I'm sticking with the SCTO for now :)

Just roasted some guatemalan. After I weighed out the beans and put them in the roaster drum, I grabbed the open bag of unroasted coffee to seal up and put away. Via some butterfingered move, i spilled about 2.5oz of unroasted beans all over the floor. I roast in the kitchen, and our kitchen floor is kinda dirty, should have swept and mopped a while ago, but i picked up all of the beans without getting much dust or anything mixed in.

So, would you guys still use the beans? On one hand, my initial thought was just to throw the beans away. We're not talking a big monetary loss here with a few ounces of beans and it's something I end of drinking. But on the other hand, this is unroasted coffee. I'd wager that most of the facilities that process coffee have dirtier floors than my kitchen does, even on the worst day. Plus, the coffee will be roasted before it's brewed and consumed.

Thoughts?

Just roasted some guatemalan. After I weighed out the beans and put them in the roaster drum, I grabbed the open bag of unroasted coffee to seal up and put away. Via some butterfingered move, i spilled about 2.5oz of unroasted beans all over the floor. I roast in the kitchen, and our kitchen floor is kinda dirty, should have swept and mopped a while ago, but i picked up all of the beans without getting much dust or anything mixed in.

So, would you guys still use the beans? On one hand, my initial thought was just to throw the beans away. We're not talking a big monetary loss here with a few ounces of beans and it's something I end of drinking. But on the other hand, this is unroasted coffee. I'd wager that most of the facilities that process coffee have dirtier floors than my kitchen does, even on the worst day. Plus, the coffee will be roasted before it's brewed and consumed.

Thoughts?

you ought to research how coffee is processed, especially Yemeni. long story short, you're fine haha

I'm not an expert on animal digestive systems, but you could probably do your own "processing" and cut the civet out of the picture. This is a DIY forum you know :)

You remind me of the post somewhere on HBT about the cat hair yeast starter from a year or so ago.

Finally roasting that maragogype hybrid tonight! Did I mention the beans are huge!? Top to bottom: Kenyan Peaberry, Ethiopian DP & Guat Maragogype hybrid
ml2ijm.jpg

Supplier descriptions from tonight's roasts:
wv6a02.jpg

Haha, worth a shot for sure.

Roasted 2 pounds in whirly pop. It took almost exactly double the time of one pound to first crack. Between 15 and 16 minutes. Finished at 18 minutes. A little scorching but not much. I think it was hard on the Whirley Pop.

Life's been too busy to roast. Too many projects, too much going on.

I have a half marathon on Sunday that I'm most definitely not prepared for, so I'm going to have to roast up a bunch today and prepare to drink all of it before the race. Should be...interesting.

Life's been too busy to roast. Too many projects, too much going on.

I have a half marathon on Sunday that I'm most definitely not prepared for, so I'm going to have to roast up a bunch today and prepare to drink all of it before the race. Should be...interesting.

Good luck on your race. I used to drink coffee in the cooldown tents after racing. My running friend thought I was nuts. I love coffee. I also used to love to run, but those days are over. Went too hard for too long and ended up with too many running-related issues to name here. My feet are all f'ed up now, and my back is kaput. But coffee is forever :)

coffeeflag_640-67633.jpg

The first race I ever ran, there was a coffee truck there and a huge line of people to get coffee. I remember saying to my wife, "what kind of morons could drink coffee after a run?!"

Back in those days I couldn't stand coffee.

Well, fast forward 8 months and I was that moron. I started marathon training and quickly relied on a cup before my training runs, and then I'd drink coffee all day after my runs just so I could stay awake.

So, I joined the ranks of coffee drinking runners and now I need it right after a run. I'll slam a couple cups then head for the beer tent. My stomach loves me.

I just can't imagine running or cycling without a cup before hand. I cycle a lot more than I run now, and I often make stops just for coffee.

Well here's the race update.

I took some home roast on the trip with me - this was in Detroit (the course crossed into Canada and back, which was pretty neat) and I stayed with some family in the area. Problem was, I didn't have time to roast so I just threw some random beans together in my roaster and roasted it real quick.

Brewing on someone else's equipment proved difficult. I had a blade grinder and a french press, but no scale which was the real issue here. On top of that, I got 4 hours of sleep and somehow wandered into the kitchen to make the coffee, so I wasn't the most awake at 4:30 in the morning.

The coffee was horrible. I mean it was disgusting. I think I made it too strong, and it was sour. Shows how important the scale (or a means to consistently brew) truly are.

Anyways, I choked down as much as I could and went out and did my thing. I hadn't trained well enough for this, hitting a max of 8 miles about 2 months ago, but my only fear was being hobbled in Canada. They supposedly had buses to bring people back if they got hurt, but that wasn't going to be convenient or easy with the Customs thing.

Someone was pouring out small glasses of Founders All Day IPA and I believe some Atwater something or other around the 12 mile mark, but dang it I couldn't make it to the other side of the street to grab a cup. That also happened to me with Tim Bits - someone was handing out Tim Hortons but I couldn't cross the street to get them. These were my two biggest disappointments of the day.

I ended up making it through to the end and finished in 2:10, which was about 20 mins faster than I had figured I'd be, but still a good 20 mins slower than my PR. I'm happy about it; I haven't run a half since 2012, and haven't been healthy enough to do hardly any running the last four years.

After the race I found some more coffee, and had no problems putting it down. Then some more coffee. And more. LOVE THE COFFEE. They had a beer tent but didn't include a free beer. What kind of race does that!?!?

Shoot. I just placed an order and then I saw this.

Same here, I did get some of the other two dry processed Ethiopian beans they had. I ordered three different type of mexican beans to fill out my order.

For the people that like fruity coffee keep an eye open for Bali Organic Kintamani Natural beans. I had some a few years ago that was really fruity, you would think the coffee was infused with fruit flavor. The last couple years when I have bought it was not nearly as fruity but still pretty good. I have not seen the natural process bali coffee at sweet marias but have found it at others places. I have not tried the coffee in the link below just including it for reference. With a 11/2015 arrival I would wait for this years harvest to show up.
http://www.burmancoffee.com/coffeelist/new-popups/indonesianbali.html

Well here's the race update.

I took some home roast on the trip with me - this was in Detroit (the course crossed into Canada and back, which was pretty neat) and I stayed with some family in the area. Problem was, I didn't have time to roast so I just threw some random beans together in my roaster and roasted it real quick.

Brewing on someone else's equipment proved difficult. I had a blade grinder and a french press, but no scale which was the real issue here. On top of that, I got 4 hours of sleep and somehow wandered into the kitchen to make the coffee, so I wasn't the most awake at 4:30 in the morning.

The coffee was horrible. I mean it was disgusting. I think I made it too strong, and it was sour. Shows how important the scale (or a means to consistently brew) truly are.

Anyways, I choked down as much as I could and went out and did my thing. I hadn't trained well enough for this, hitting a max of 8 miles about 2 months ago, but my only fear was being hobbled in Canada. They supposedly had buses to bring people back if they got hurt, but that wasn't going to be convenient or easy with the Customs thing.

Someone was pouring out small glasses of Founders All Day IPA and I believe some Atwater something or other around the 12 mile mark, but dang it I couldn't make it to the other side of the street to grab a cup. That also happened to me with Tim Bits - someone was handing out Tim Hortons but I couldn't cross the street to get them. These were my two biggest disappointments of the day.

I ended up making it through to the end and finished in 2:10, which was about 20 mins faster than I had figured I'd be, but still a good 20 mins slower than my PR. I'm happy about it; I haven't run a half since 2012, and haven't been healthy enough to do hardly any running the last four years.

After the race I found some more coffee, and had no problems putting it down. Then some more coffee. And more. LOVE THE COFFEE. They had a beer tent but didn't include a free beer. What kind of race does that!?!?

Sorry to hear the coffee didn't turn out very good but congratulations on finishing half marathon that's awesome. I love strong coffee. That being said, when I drink it black, I make it weaker.

Ya know what's worse? When the same thing happens for a full marathon. And even worse is when the beer is free but they RUN OUT because you are just too slow. I really hated that. Like I had the option to run faster but I was lazy so instead I dragged out things out for 4.5+ hours. :mad:

Latest posts

Back