☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone that ordered the Nicaragua dry process Buenos Aires that has roasted it, get intense blueberry? I get more BlackBerry with a slight blueberry on the backside....

Anyone that ordered the Nicaragua dry process Buenos Aires that has roasted it, get intense blueberry? I get more BlackBerry with a slight blueberry on the backside....

I did just recently roast some and had some coffee the other but I did not get a lot of fruitiness that I recall. I will need to try it again. It did seem very smooth is what I recall.

Organic Dry Process Sidama Shantawene Ethiopia, did not seem fruity either but it has a spicy herbal tea aroma and flavor a bit like panama giesha coffee.

Dry Process Sironko Town Lot 6 Uganda, drinking this today. It had a strong fermented fruit aroma from the roasted beans and it sort of comes thru in the cup.

All three were roasted about a minute past FC, with a FC start pretty close to 9min or a little later. FC was slowed down almost done.

Had a cup of the Nicaragua dry process Buenos Aires made in a clever dripper.

No fruit in the raw roast bean or the cup, I get a cocoa like flavor and aroma. Soft slightly acidic with a lightish body.

Looking at the beans I may have roast further than I was intending.
IMG_1506 - Copy.JPG

Idk if I updated but I let the light roast dp ethiopian sit in the french press on the counter 24 hours and dumped the contents into the beer. It is so good. Kbs recipe with dutch processed cocoa, droste, and bakers bittersweet. With the cold brew and splashing with stranahans, dang! Cheers!

Yes, when I tried my Buenos Aires, it was only at 1 day post roast. Could be developed more now. I have been enjoying the Kapkwai Sipi Falls coffee from Uganda, and have experienced it's transformation as it has "aged"! On the first day after roasting it, it tasted like fresh butter mixed with cocoa nibs, very little fruit. It also gave you a mouth feel of buttery richness. I could only drink that in small doses if you know what I mean!!! Over the coarse of a week, the butteriness has dissipated completely and a grape essence started showing up. Now at a full 2 weeks, the coffee has a caramelized sugar taste that melds into a red grape juice finish... Very nice cup indeed!

Idk if I updated but I let the light roast dp ethiopian sit in the french press on the counter 24 hours and dumped the contents into the beer. It is so good. Kbs recipe with dutch processed cocoa, droste, and bakers bittersweet. With the cold brew and splashing with stranahans, dang! Cheers!

that sounds AMAZING!

last roast of 2019!

life has been moving quick over the last month & i was down to about 2 cups worth of beans in the hopper. can't believe it has been 3 weeks since I roasted! finally fired up the roaster for last session of 2019. decided to fall back on older approach/profile & charged high, cut gas to zero for the first minute & let the coffee soak in the heat from the drum directly. looking forward to trying it out over the next couple weeks.

Does anybody have a fun roast planned for the end of the year or a favorite brewer they're looking forward to using?

here's the graph of my last roast of 2019 :)

last roast of 2019.jpg

Made a strong americano of the Nicaragua Buenos Aires Caturra. (18g dose with a the grind a little off yielded ~43g of espresso, added ~90g hot water.) Not really a berry bomb, but I'm really digging it. I'll agree with berries, nuts, and sweetness, hint of cocoa on the finish. Berries were something like blackberry/blueberry as described, but more blackberry than blueberry, the nuttiness was really interesting, couldn't quite place it.

I like the idea a lot. Let us know hiw it goes. That roast looks splendid to me. Nothing special planned, I need to go out and roast cause I gave all of it away. Would really like to try putting a pound in a gallon and making a big cold brew. Then just add water and reheat. So that is my new years brew goal.
last roast of 2019!

life has been moving quick over the last month & i was down to about 2 cups worth of beans in the hopper. can't believe it has been 3 weeks since I roasted! finally fired up the roaster for last session of 2019. decided to fall back on older approach/profile & charged high, cut gas to zero for the first minute & let the coffee soak in the heat from the drum directly. looking forward to trying it out over the next couple weeks.

Does anybody have a fun roast planned for the end of the year or a favorite brewer they're looking forward to using?

here's the graph of my last roast of 2019 :)

View attachment 659201

Yesterday morning brewed the Nicaragua Buenos Aires Caturra in the technivorm and today the able kone. Can't say the results with either one excited me. Not surprising that the auto drip doesn't bring out the best in a coffee, it never does, but I really hoped for more from the kone brew today. Maybe my pourover game is off. Maybe I'll try a v60 today and see what i get...

EDIT: I brewed a v60 before lunch. Better, but still not what I was tasting in the americano on Sunday. I'm a bit puzzled.

Last edited:
I would think an americano and a drip coffee from the same roasted beans would taste very differently. I'm sure the differences in grind settings, water temp, brew time and water/grounds ratio would cause different flavors to be extracted. I now prefer an americano to an aero-press. The americano seems to have a fuller body and a richer taste.

I closed out 2019 with three roasts, including a new bean from Mexico.

That brings me to 142 lbs roasted in 2019.

When I started doing this 4ish years ago I never would have thought I'd roast that much in a year. You all really are a bad influence [emoji12]

At one point I used to track the temp data for my roasts, but really never went back to review them so I quite.

I only started keep track the roasts again this years after I seen the how many pounds of coffee roasted thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/how-many-pounds-of-coffee-roasted-in-2019.661111/

I do have a coffee spreadsheet to keep track of inventory so I can keep a good mix on hand and make sure they don't get too old.

I need to update this with my counts b/c I’m way behind. Maybe later this week now that I have some time off from work.

one thing I was pondering last night about capturing my 2020 year in roasting is a Artisan graph compilation.
It would be neat to see every single roast overlaid onto a single chart. One could really see how their roast profiles averaged out.

I roast a pound a week, plus presents, decaf and trips. I am guessing 70.

that’s kinda how I’ve gauged it, too. I’m guess 100lbs is close for me. I think more importantly to a good degree though, is how many batches. Experience is key & what allows you to continually develop & refine your skills. One of the reasons like my Quest M3 & it’s half pound batch size. Since I roasted 1lb at a time, I probably roasted about 100 batches. I have to wonder how much I would have learned if that was 4 or 500!

Yeah I definitely average 1lb per roast. I've been doing more and more 1.5 lb roasts though, and a few 2lb roasts as well. I think I had 125 roasts in 2019.

A relative got me this for Christmas, it's a hand grinder, metal filter, pourer, and cup in one. Made of metal with a nice case, it would be great for people who camp because it's durable and small. The only thing it doesn't do is (obviously) heat water, which is really unfortunate because that would be the real package for me. When I go fishing I'm on a boat for 12 plus hours straight and it would be great if I could brew a cup in the afternoon. Either way, it's a fun toy and will be nice for travel.

20200101_145259.jpeg
20200101_145541.jpeg

I have a quest, it was a nice upgrade from the behmor, much more control over the roast and simple to use. It has a limited batch size but a half pound roast is fine for me.

I normally do 6 half pounds roasts of 6 varieties per roast session, that is enough coffee for 10days to 2 weeks. Normally a DP Ethiopian or two at the end of the session when I have a feel for how the roaster is working that day(I roast out side so things work slightly depending on weather).

I see many of here buying 5lb of coffee at a time which seem like a lot a single origin for me, that is why I have not jumped in on the royal splits(regret some of those the coffees sounded great). I guess I could roast 3lb in one session doing different profiles then use the one that works best which leaves only 2lbs to use later.

Just the roasts done on the bullet this year, I have roasted a hair over 365 lbs. I have done batch sizes all over the spectrum of what the roaster is capable of. My opinion on best batch size is 600 to 800 grams. Very nice responses to input changes at those weights. I did roast a good bit from January to March with my heat gun bread machine rig, but have apparently misplaced my logbooks so I can't give any accurate numbers for that....

Yeah you could go nuts tracking. Make an excel sheet, track amount, roasting notes, tasting notes, graphs etc. I think this is a joy for many, not so much me. Yeah, good point too. No doubt, you are going to learn from 400 batches, quite a bit. Reminds me of the old tai chi master push hands saying. He said if I let you beat me 1000 times who has advantage on 1001 attempt. Edison failed thousands of tine iirc, when asked he said, I havent failed I just found 10k ways that don't work or something like that.

How about that mill city roaster for 5k that did 240 pounds an hour. I am still thinking about it. That 240 pounds represents what my wife earns in a year.
one thing I was pondering last night about capturing my 2020 year in roasting is a Artisan graph compilation.
It would be neat to see every single roast overlaid onto a single chart. One could really see how their roast profiles averaged out.

that’s kinda how I’ve gauged it, too. I’m guess 100lbs is close for me. I think more importantly to a good degree though, is how many batches. Experience is key & what allows you to continually develop & refine your skills. One of the reasons like my Quest M3 & it’s half pound batch size. Since I roasted 1lb at a time, I probably roasted about 100 batches. I have to wonder how much I would have learned if that was 4 or 500!

Just the roasts done on the bullet this year, I have roasted a hair over 365 lbs. I have done batch sizes all over the spectrum of what the roaster is capable of. My opinion on best batch size is 600 to 800 grams. Very nice responses to input changes at those weights. I did roast a good bit from January to March with my heat gun bread machine rig, but have apparently misplaced my logbooks so I can't give any accurate numbers for that....

Crap that's a ton! I can't remember, but you must be selling it? Either that or you never sleep.

I have tempted some to enjoy a better cup of coffee, yes! I consume a bit also, as I have a double double shot of espresso, along with 36 ounces of drip brewed coffee before 9 a.m. on most days, and lately have been enjoying 6 - 8 ounces of undiluted cold brew at lunch.

Btw...my dashboard in my roast analysis and graph charting software also tells me that I did 241 roasts and I believe 165.63 Kilos for roasts. I will be roasting in the very near future and I'll see about getting a screenshot of it.

Last edited:
Man, Kudos to you. I just can't seem to get into the swing of RoastWorld.

I finished with three roasts: Kenya, Ethiopian, and another Ethiopian. So far tried two of them, and tasting great.
Still on bullet learning curve after almost 3 years, but one and half of which I was trying to learn on stale ass beans!
In other news, planning to brew this weekend after nearly 5 year hiatus from brewing. Wish me luck!
TD

All the luck I can throw your way my friend, is in bound!!! I will be happy to help you with anything I can. Love helping, especially when it is beneficial to someone! Have a few roasts done, maybe even a couple pointers to share.....let me know bro.

Roast world is easy. Just view it as the encyclopedia of your coffee info's, like what beans you have or have done. That's all I use it for....does fantastic as totals done...will automatically update your roast information and pulls it from roast time as you go.. no extra on your part....mostly,. If you have more specific questions you can pm me and I do my best

Morning boys! Hate to have kept y’all in suspense, but I knew December was going to be super busy and I’d have limited time for the roaster which ended up being no time.
Finally got the elbow which put the pipe almost touching the ceiling so I rearranged a few things. I may take the elbow off and just run the exhaust from there. Plan is to exit the wall with a vent, but I just had to burn some beans! Completed two very smoky seasoning roasts yesterday per MCR and have a few more to do. Not sure what I’m doing yet, but had fun playing with all the knobs and switches and Artisan. :)
EE46432E-DFB3-4579-8A76-FA98AB52FBD7.jpeg

I admire people like you, I could use patience like that. Looks like such a beautiful room to roast in. Sounds like you are on your way now.
Morning boys! Hate to have kept y’all in suspense, but I knew December was going to be super busy and I’d have limited time for the roaster which ended up being no time.
Finally got the elbow which put the pipe almost touching the ceiling so I rearranged a few things. I may take the elbow off and just run the exhaust from there. Plan is to exit the wall with a vent, but I just had to burn some beans! Completed two very smoky seasoning roasts yesterday per MCR and have a few more to do. Not sure what I’m doing yet, but had fun playing with all the knobs and switches and Artisan. :)
View attachment 660365

Latest posts

Back