☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered a few things from Burmans. Ethiopian natural Yirgacheffe, Indonesian Balinese blue moon,Brazil mogiana, Indonesian Sulawesi, Guatemalan Finca De Dios, and lemon ginger white tea.

I just ordered a few things from Burmans. Ethiopian natural Yirgacheffe, Indonesian Balinese blue moon,Brazil mogiana, Indonesian Sulawesi, Guatemalan Finca De Dios, and lemon ginger white tea.
which ethiopian did you get?

I never got into the fru-fru coffee drink thing. To each their own.

I like my whiskey neat and my coffee black. :)

This is how I am...also like my cigars medium/full and my beer full of flavor.

I don't know if I have killed my taste buds or what, but I like strong flavors. I can't taste vegetables (that's my excuse for not eating them at least). Once I add just a dash of milk to coffee I can't taste the coffee any longer. Some of my friends can add 2 tbsp of milk to my coffee and still taste the refined flavors - I have no idea how; maybe they have more sensitive palates than I do and that's why they prefer milk.

Guess I should stop poking at people for adding milk...

which ethiopian did you get?
Ethiopian natural Yirgacheffe Gr.1 Koke co-op. This is the description.
Good body with some very complex darker spice tones. A little lower acidity than the usual Ethiopian and milder on some of the red fruit notes. Lighter roasts will have a little hint of acidity, nice chocolaty factor with some black tea like spice notes, as the cup cools one can see some red fruit in the cup but while piping hot, are overtaken by the classic Yirg spice tones. Medium roasts up to 2nd crack build the chocolaty factor nicely while muting up the acidity. Soft fruit tones comes through in the aftertaste.

I just noticed it says more herbal and tea like later in the description notes, damn.
A cool cup from light to dark but erroring closer to 2nd crack than first was a good thing in our book. This cup is not all about ferment fruit, this cup is about complex tea like and floral spice which find a balance around a strong medium roast. Nice and clean for a natural, easy to roast.

I should have gone with this one but I was just looking through the sales and didn’t look at all the coffees they had.
ETHIOPIAN GUJI WASHED GR. 1 DERI KOCHOHA
$7.35

Very cool cup – although a washed processed, that extended time in the cherry really brings forth a bit more body and hints of a little red fruit. Medium to low acidity, this cup will only have strong citrus and floral at the super light roast, which are not recommended. A nice medium to dark roast is the way to go with this guy. Personally, we would cool it out before 2nd crack for sure. This creates a nice jammy body, just a hint of a floral aspect, nice sweet fruity notes; a little peach with spicy jasmine like aromatics. A very cool mix of tones. Dark roasts will get a little edgy and bitter and lose some of the cool soft fruit, but some will really like it as well.

No, you got the right one and that is a good deal because I have paid full price. This is a quality good coffee. I think I've drank 8 pounds of it, maybe 13. My go-to until something very special comes in. Now it will be the Bodhi leaf, but this has been my go-to for a while. It's not going to blow you away with fruit, but there should be some red fruit in it. That said I am curious on how you think it compares with other coffees you have drank. So glad you got some of their teas. We have fallen in love with the chamomile hibiscus, and my wife likes the Jasmine. I like the green teas but don't have much of a palate for them.

Great! Please go to the thread for this trade and check it out (dates and the idea of the trade). When you are in there please make sure you respond stating you are in. I would hate to lose people who want to participate but don't respond in the trade thread and I miss them in this one. Thanks!

https://topecacoffee.com/shop/africa/guji-ethiopia/
This is our favorite coffee. Our local shop stopped selling it and I haven’t found a been as good as this one. It probably has a lot to do with my roasting ability or lack there of:(
Yep, grade 1, sun dried ethiopian. Some are better than others but they are all great imo. This one with blueberry seems extra choice. How much were they asking per pound for it? It makes sense the stuff can cost 7 to 10 a pound unroasted.

Yep, grade 1, sun dried ethiopian. Some are better than others but they are all great imo. This one with blueberry seems extra choice. How much were they asking per pound for it? It makes sense the stuff can cost 7 to 10 a pound unroasted.
I think it’s $15 for 12 oz. I would just order it but I’m too cheap to pay $22 for one bag of coffee.

Did it have strong blueberry flavor? If so 15 for a pound roasted (13oz) is awesome. Curious how koke will treat you. Roasted guji maho yesterday. Kept roast at 5 of 6 power full fan until heard one loud crack at 1550. Didnt plan on 5 power straight through, but, got busy, at 1550 I pushed it took 6 until 1620 when first crack really started, really rolling, backed to 4 power and pulled 30 seconds later at 1650ish. No fear of green inside, I hope, because of long drying and browning stage.

Yes it has a very prominent berry flavor. It’s really awesome coffee. If my local coffee shop started selling it again it would be the only coffee I would buy but I don’t want to order it. They switched to KLLR coffee which is good but not as good as Topeca. KLLR is in OKC and Topeca is in Tulsa so they probably pay less for the KLLR due to shipping costs.

258EFEA0-F69A-417E-BB02-9D2D82F87A63.jpeg

It shows that I can add 5lbs to my cart. Maybe try clearing your browser history, cookies and/or cache. Just a thought, I don't know if that will help but it won't hurt. Or try a different browser. Below is the link I was able to use to add 5lbs.

https://legacyfarmscoffee.com/store?olsPage=products/green-coffee-beans

My order arrived today. I'm going to roast some up and see how the wife likes it. I know everybody's tastes are different, but for those familiar with this coffee - any recommended roast details/levels?

She typically likes FUll City + and is still able to pick out origin notes (versus them all tasting the same).

My order arrived today. I'm going to roast some up and see how the wife likes it. I know everybody's tastes are different, but for those familiar with this coffee - any recommended roast details/levels?

She typically likes FUll City + and is still able to pick out origin notes (versus them all tasting the same).

They take lots of heat well. Don’t remember your roasting setup off the top of my head, but you should be able to go high and fast.

Ok, cool. Using the Behmor 1600+. She was impatient so I roasted a small batch already but will go high and hard for the next - cheers.

Ok, cool. Using the Behmor 1600+. She was impatient so I roasted a small batch already but will go high and hard for the next - cheers.
I roasted it twice in the 1600+.

First roast: P5 @ Start, P4 @ yellow (and watch to not overheat), P5 @ 10:30, P4 @ Brown, P3 @ 1c, cool as 1c finishes (my normal routine that i use on nearly all coffees). This was the batch that i posted about not turning out well.

Second roast: P5 @ Start, (watch for overheat) P4 @1c, cool as 1c finishes.

Both roasts actually finished at the same time, but the second was much better than the first.

IMG_4230.JPG

If you can read my chicken scratch notes this was my first go with those beans. I do recall the beans having a slight cracking noise before First Crack really started. So I accidentally hit the “First Crack” button on the timer, thus driving up the development percentage.
My wife and I enjoyed the beans. I’ll probably be buying more to enjoy but also to share with friends and family.

The Ethiopian beans were a little tricky. They are small, kind of like pea berry. They took a really long time in the yellow stage and I used full heat for most of the roast. They smell noticeably different from any other bean I have bought. Even green they smell kind of like cherry pipe tobacco or something. My wife said peas but I got fruit and tobacco. After the roast I ate one and it tastes just like what I smelled. I look forward to brewing these up maybe tomorrow morning!

Sorry for my ignorance but can someone please explain the development to my dumb ass. What does the percentage of development tell you when you are looking at a timer like this?

Development occurs from the second you stick the bean in all the way until it develops into a fire. I follow the Joe Morocco school of thought that first crack is not some magical moment where development begins to occur. First crack occurs as a result of development and changes in the bean. That said there are some standards that professional Roasters use, but they also have better machines. I am not sure how development percentages ties to home roasting and the coffee I like to drink in general. That could be because I'm a crappy roaster, and also because I want to drink the coffee's much lighter. If I am correct many old school coffee development percentages were thought to be 20 to 25%. Go 25% development after a 13 minute roast or longer with a lesser piece of gear and you will basically ruin the coffee imo. I would like to learn more about development to, but by the time I get to First crack I don't know how to stretch it out 2 minutes. I think I could with smaller batches and way less Heat. So hopefully somebody can explain development to me as well. I know dropping a dense Bean near first crack can stall the rate of rise and produce baked beans. Also I have seen good Roasters talking about time after first crack, and it seems no matter how long it takes to get there how the coffee reacts to time after first crack seems similar. Check out the Mill City roaster videos for full information. The original series with Dave are very good and complicated and long.

I like light roasts the most but haven’t been able to pull it off. Every one I have done still tastes green and makes me feel sick LOL.

Sorry for my ignorance but can someone please explain the development to my dumb ass. What does the percentage of development tell you when you are looking at a timer like this?

Development is the phase beginning at the onset of first crack. A large amount of moisture is release at this point and the sugars begin to carmelize. I find 10% to be the low boundary & a good place to hover near/above for filter coffee & 20% to be the upper limit for preserving terroir. I approach this limit for espresso roasts

Development is the phase beginning at the onset of first crack. A large amount of moisture is release at this point and the sugars begin to carmelize. I find 10% to be the low boundary & a good place to hover near/above for filter coffee & 20% to be the upper limit for preserving terroir. I approach this limit for espresso roasts
...and when does it end? When the beans fall below a certain temperature? (likely when the coffee is dumped out of the roaster for you, but on a behmor, it doesn't seem like it would be as well defined.)

So I couldn’t wait. I went home at lunch and brewed up some of the Ethiopian beans in my French press and holy guacamole that is some good coffee! Super smooth, fruity, a little bit of chocolate, a little roast. So good! I gotta stock up on it. Nobody else buy any! It’s all mine!

...and when does it end? When the beans fall below a certain temperature? (likely when the coffee is dumped out of the roaster for you, but on a behmor, it doesn't seem like it would be as well defined.)

I think that may be the challenge. I use that timer as a guide - meaning that if I roast two batches the same way and want the same profile I'll replicate the timing and development %. If I want something different I can go above/below the previous development time or percentage.
I'm guessing there is a temp that marks the "end" of development, but as you said, with the Behmor there is a period of time for the beans to cool down so the development is extending past the point where I hit "COOL".
So, for me, I use it for consistency-sake, even if it is not 100% accurate in terms of when it is measured.

View attachment 612186
If you can read my chicken scratch notes this was my first go with those beans. I do recall the beans having a slight cracking noise before First Crack really started. So I accidentally hit the “First Crack” button on the timer, thus driving up the development percentage.
My wife and I enjoyed the beans. I’ll probably be buying more to enjoy but also to share with friends and family.

Cool....the next batch I roast for her will be P5 from the get-go as well. High and hard (without overheating), and I'll drop to P2 when 1st crack starts to stretch out the development time.

Then I'll do another batch of keeping it high and hard all the way to 2nd crack to minimize development and she can tell me which she likes best.

Cool....the next batch I roast for her will be P5 from the get-go as well. High and hard (without overheating), and I'll drop to P2 when 1st crack starts to stretch out the development time.

Then I'll do another batch of keeping it high and hard all the way to 2nd crack to minimize development and she can tell me which she likes best.

Keep in mind my notes are based off the coffee timer we all use, not the time on the Behmor. Also, I preheat the unit for a bit before I load the roaster. I don’t usually go above 150 degrees to preheat it.
I hope this makes sense to you and anyone else looking at this. Cheers bud!

Keep in mind my notes are based off the coffee timer we all use, not the time on the Behmor. Also, I preheat the unit for a bit before I load the roaster. I don’t usually go above 150 degrees to preheat it.
I hope this makes sense to you and anyone else looking at this. Cheers bud!

It does. I've taken to preheating mine to somewhere between 150-200 as well.

Still have my hottop 2k+ looking to sell for any lurkers out there. Needs a little cleaning. No mods except to a disposable filter that I put a stainless screen mesh in so I don’t have to buy the paper filters

Back