Belgian Blond Ale Belgian Bitter (De Ranke Pseudo-Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristotelian

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
De Ranke XX Bitter Starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Straw
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 64-68F (no temperature control)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
See below.
Fermentables:
Pilsner Malt - 2.000 kg (83.33%)
Home Toasted Pale Malt approx. 20L - 100g (4.17%)
Carapils - 100g (4.17%)
Table Sugar - 200g (8.33%) - added to boil.

Hops:
Galena - 12g @ 60m
Saaz - 10g @ 30m
Saaz - 10g @ 10m

Mash 15 minutes @ 145F, 45 minutes @ 154F

Efficiency:
74%

Background:

http://www.deranke.be/nl/bier/xx-bitter

This was inspired by De Ranke XX Bitter, although it is not a true clone attempt. I haven't seen much on this beer or the style, so I thought I would post my recipe. It is a dry, extremely hoppy blonde ale brewed with tons of noble hops and Belgian yeast. De Ranke XX Bitter is classified as a "Belgian IPA" on Beeradvocate, but it is not brewed with American IPA hops. It is similar to an American IPA but with spice and floral notes rather than grapefruit dominating. The idea is to use a ton of noble-type hops to get to the same IBUs, so you get similar bitterness to an American IPA but more and different flavors coming from the hops. De Ranke claims to brew this with Brewers Gold and Hallertau, but I decided to brew a version emphasizing Saaz hops similar to La Chouffe, so I substituted Galena for bittering and Saaz for flavor additions.

Brew Notes:
For yeast, I cultured a starter from bottle dregs. (Supposedly De Ranke uses T-58 so you could try that).

I overshot my efficiency due to adjusting my mill, so my ABV ended up closer to 8% than the 6% listed by De Ranke. I was aiming for 1.060 OG. The De Ranke yeast had no trouble bringing the wort down to 1.007. Despite the difference, this was still very drinkable, not at all malt forward.

Bottle conditioned in regular 12 oz bottles to 3 vols. First bottle @10 days was only partially carbonated. Fully carbonated at 3 weeks in the bottle.

Tasting Notes:
Success! Pours golden straw with a 2" foamy head with some lemon zest and spice in the aroma. Dry, strongly hoppy, but balanced with notes of honey, spice, and lemon zest. Tasted side by side with the De Ranke and I feel like I really did hit the profile I was looking for even though this was not an attempt at a straight clone. I think this would be a good pairing with simple mild food that would not be in competition with the hops. I would absolutely brew this again!

Back