Specialty IPA: Black IPA He Who Must Not Be Named Black IPA (2016 Minnesota Mash Out 2nd Place Specialty IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US05
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.013-5
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 67-69F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 58F + Dry Hop
Tasting Notes
Coffee/Bitter Sweet Chocolate Ripe Tropical Fruit and Citrus
This was my second attempt at a black IPA and used what I learned from my first attempt, the original turned into a RIS after 3-4 months when the hops started to drop out. I wanted to land a beer in time for the 2016 Minnesota Mash Out and settled on a black IPA, the beer was 4 weeks old 2 weeks in the bottle when I dropped off my entries. I will update this post when I get my score sheets back but it placed 2nd in the Specialty IPA category at competition and even though I knew it was a really good tasty beer I never expected to place in a competitive category at a large competition.

I adjusted my city water which is rather soft with gypsum, and a tiny bit of calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate to bring my sulfate up to about 60-70 and my chloride around 25-30. Adjust your water how you would for an IPA but don't get completely crazy with the sulfate.

Single Infusion mash at 148F for 60 minutes, relatively thin mash at about 1.5 quarts per pound. I nailed approximately 85% efficiency on this so if you usually land lower than that just up the Pale Ale malt to make up the difference.

9#Briess Pale Ale malt

1#Red Wheat malt

1#Midnight Wheat

5oz Acidulated Malt (high pH city water, if you adjust with straight acid, just add 5oz extra Pale Ale malt)

8oz Homemade candi sugar around 120-160L (if you dont mind the cost get the 160L Belgian Candi Sugar)

12oz Invert Sugar syrup (30 hours post pitch addition to drive attenuation)

1oz Warrior 15.8%AA FWH

1oz Hallertau 3.1%AA 10 Min***

2oz Citra 13.1%AA 7 min

2oz Cascade 7.3%AA 7 min

2oz Citra 13.1%AA 1 min

2oz Cascade 7.3%AA 1 min

3oz Citra 13.1%AA 20 min whirlpool starting around 190-200F

2oz Cascade 7.3%AA 20 min whirlpool starting around 190-200F

2oz Citra Dry Hop 7 Days at 58F

This got a shot of yeast nutrient at the 10min mark, then when I pitched it was a big fresh starter of US05 (saved a tiny bit of a packet to create a starter built up a big pitch for this). Yes, that is 17oz of hops for 5 gallons, but, it creates a big super juicy IPA and I knew it was going to be tasty when bottling the basement smelled like overripe tropical fruit and booze, worth every penny for the hops.

***The hallertau was a last minute change to my recipe, I wanted a few more IBUs and I wanted just a slight balancing note of noble hops. Its arguable that it may not have made a noticeable difference but I do really like a noble hop addition at 10minutes in an IPA and I think that it added the barest hint of pine/spice/earth.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454344927.761272.jpg

Just a couple tea cups full of hops. Oddly this is the only picture I have of the brew day. I'll update with a picture of the beer itself.

Latest posts

Back