Heiliman's Special Export

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Showing my age.... I think Im gonna make this today for the fook of it.....

Heiliman's Special Export

Off to the LHBS. Need a spring simple staple beer...

FYI - I followed a recipe published by Marty Nachel, Author of "Homebrewing For Dummies"

special-export-081-26-3.jpg

24" Big Italian sub with; pepper salami, hot cappocollo, hot calabrese, smoked provolone, prosciutto, tomatoes, onions, pepperchini, green olives, lettuce, vinegar & oil, oregano.

Subscribed
Drank a ton of this 30 some odd years ago out of returnable bottles.
Still visit it every once in a while.

"You can travel the world over and never find a better beer"

Looking forward to see how it turns out for you.

I'm an AG'r but out of pale malt and don't normally buy pilsner, so I opted for extract, full boil until I get another 50lb bag a pale malt.

Fermenting with both yeasts at the same time at 68deg? Or is the idea "pick one of you're making an ale, pick the other if you're lagering" kind of thing?

Also, what's the benefit of the 90 minute boil, if it's all LME? Does it just allow you to get more AA from the hops, keeping overall batch cost down?

Fermenting with both yeasts at the same time at 68deg? Or is the idea "pick one of you're making an ale, pick the other if you're lagering" kind of thing?

Also, what's the benefit of the 90 minute boil, if it's all LME? Does it just allow you to get more AA from the hops, keeping overall batch cost down?

No, its pick one yeast. I was playing with the attenuation for ABV

As for the 90 minute boil I was also trying to split the hops into two batches and bump the IBU.

I was making tweaks for the style guidelines.

I did it for 60 minutes and picked US-05.

I just fixed it .....per your comments.

I lifted this recipe from Homebrewing For Dummies. Its Marty Nachel's recipe for Dortmunder Special Export.

Here's what I've come up with for this on Beersmith with grain and yeast I have on hand. now to head to the LHBS for hops.

Speciale Export
8 lbs 13.6 oz Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.2 %
0.50 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 16.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang (Tettnang Tettnager) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 10.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 1.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]
Mash at 150 for 60

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 27.8 IBUs
Est Color: 6.4 SRM

My lower level stays at a constant 59-62 degrees so this should work out well during fermentation.
Critiques please, btw.

Recipe for Jamil Zainashef's recipe has the following;

OG 1.055
FG 1.013
IBU 29
ABV 5.6%

Mash @152
8.5lbs - Pilsner Malt (2.3L)
4.0lbs - Munich Malt (9L)
2.0oz - Melanoidin Malt (28L)

Boil a full 90 minutes to remove DMS traces from the pilsner malt.

Hallertauer 1.7oz of 4.0%AAU - 60 min
Hallertauer 0.5 of 4.0%AAU - 5 min
Hallertauer 0.5 of 4.0%AAU - 0 min

Pitch WLP830 German Lager, Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager, Fermentis Saflager S-23

Ferment @ 50F, then lager for 4 weeks... bottle/keg carb to 2-2.5 vol of CO2.

Here's what I've come up with for this on Beersmith with grain and yeast I have on hand. now to head to the LHBS for hops.

Speciale Export
8 lbs 13.6 oz Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.2 %
0.50 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 16.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang (Tettnang Tettnager) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 10.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 1.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]
Mash at 150 for 60

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 27.8 IBUs
Est Color: 6.4 SRM

My lower level stays at a constant 59-62 degrees so this should work out well during fermentation.
Critiques please, btw.
Brewed this today with Golden Promise instead of MO and 10 instead of 15.
It's chugging away right now.

Sounds Good! :rockin:

I'm ready to keg mine, I hope can get to it by the middle of next week. I have two beers to keg. One to brew next week.

I still haven't got my 50lbs of Pale Malt...

... so I have to fill the pipe line with PM and Extract Brews. I do full boils so i'm ok with going this route for a little bit.

I still haven't got my 50lbs of Pale Malt...

... so I have to fill the pipe line with PM and Extract Brews. I do full boils so i'm ok with going this route for a little bit.
I picked up a 55lb sack of Golden Promise recently after running low on MO.
The Export has partial GP and the last of the MO.

Let me know how the Patriot turns out. I have 4 oz of homegrown Mt. Hood burning a hole in my freezer.

Let me know how the Patriot turns out. I have 4 oz of homegrown Mt. Hood burning a hole in my freezer.

Will Do! If you don't mind PM me or post the Fullers Pride recipe.

Its Wednesday already and I have blown-foam out of two taps this week. Today's is a snow day, might at well get cracking at getting my two beers into the cans.

Its Wednesday already and I have blown-foam out of two taps this week. Today's is a snow day, might at well get cracking at getting my two beers into the cans.

Nice!!!
Mine has been fermenting vigorously for the last three days! I'll leave it for two weeks then keg.

Tasting notes in 5 days?

Reiterating - Tasting notes are for flat, warm beer, right from the fermentor. This is at 4 weeks old.

The SpEx has nice dark gold color, quite a bit darker than my oatmeal pale ale that's about like miller GD color. Its probably right at SRM of 6.

The clarity is pretty good, yeast has settled out well. Near perfect in this respect. I added gelatin for absolute clarity. Did so while racking to the keg.

It has a spicy hop nose. Nice subtle hop fragrance.

I don't taste any malt or residual sweetness, the hop taste, light that it is, seems to be more prominent then anything else and it leaves a nice spicy finish. The fact that its warm I think the hop flavor stands out more. Served cold, I think it will very balanced.

I can't detect any yeast esters whatsoever. Expected for US-05.

Once carbed and cold this will be a pretty damned good spring brew.

:rockin:

Heileman's Special Export

Day number 5 on gas....

This beer is awesome!!!!! My Flat Beer Review is about right. The hop profile has not changed much.

I will be making this frequently! :rockin:

This is more true to the German Style of DAB. Nonetheless... Any good homebrew is likely to be better than the original. Especially with required hop flavor.

Patriot Ale is nearly as good. If you have Mt Hood, make it...

Back