Train Whistle Ribbon Cane Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Here's what's brewing this week. I thought I'd share this and get feedback. I brewed this once as an extract with grains recipe about three years ago and it was the only bad batch I ever brewed.:mad: I had been brewing for awhile and thought I knew a lot. Man, have I learned a lot since then!

I made two big, mistakes. First, my original recipe was way too heavy on the hops. I'm guessing it was somewhere near 170 IBUs!:eek: Secondly, I steeped the grains at too high a temperature. I have no notes, but I recalled that towards the last 10-15 mins. of the steep, the water was above 170oF and I removed them a minute or two after the boiling began!:rolleyes::(

So, I'm taking another stab at this. I was intrigued at using of Steens Ribbon Cane syrup, which my folks bring to me from Texas and was a staple of my childhood. This recipe was culled from several resources including the Internet. But the addition of the syrup, the hop boiling times, type of yeast used and fermentation times, I developed (or took educated guesses at) all on my own.

I came up with the name because, on the Winter night when I first came up with that extract recipe, it was windy outside, bitter cold, there was a full moon and I could hear a train horn from the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railroad near my house. I instantly had an image in my mind of rail days gone by.

Imagine a southbound passenger train - maybe the Illinois Central's City Of New Orleans - heading south. It’s late in the evening, not many people are in the dining car and you're just watching the moonlit scenery go by. As the train approaches a crossing the engineer wails a warning. In your mind, you briefly glimpse the faint ghost of an old Pullman Porter. A nice smile on his face, he is handing you an ebony glass of ale.
~~~~~~

Train Whistle Ribbon Cane Porter
Recipe 2006 by Mark Pannell

OG: 1.076 FG: 1.012
ABV = 8.54% IBU = 59.7
SRM= 35.8

Grains:
11 lb. Schreier American 2-row pale malt (1.8-L)
3/4 lb. U.K. chocolate malt (425-L)
1/2 lb. U.S. Crystal malt, (80-L)
6 oz. Belgian CaraPils (5.9-L)
5 oz. Mich. Weyermann German wheat malt (1.9-L)
2 oz. Belgian black malt (550-L)
1 oz. roasted Barley (474-L)

Bittering hops:
1 oz. Northern Brewer [7.0% AAU] (FWH)
.75 oz. Fuggles [4.0% AAU] (60 mins.)

Flavoring hops:
.75 oz. Fuggles [4.0% AAU] (30 mins.)
.5 oz. Willamette [4.0% AAU] (30 mins.)

Finishing hops:
1 oz. U.S. Goldings [4.0% AAU] (15 mins.)
.5 oz. Willamette [4.0% AAU] (3 mins.)
25 oz. Centennial [10.4% AAU] (3 mins.)

Misc. Flavorings:
1 lb. (one 12 oz. can) Steens 100% Ribbon Pure Cane Syrup (15 mins.)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP-023 Burton Ale Yeast

Primary:
7 days at 67oF

Secondary:
14 days at 67o F

Total boil:
90 minutes

Mash grains in 3.6 gallons water at ~152o F for 90 minutes. Recirculate until clear. Sparge with ~7gallons of 173o F water. Add hops and syrup to schedule above. Cool wort to ~70oF and pitch yeast. Bottle when beer clears. Prime with 1-1/4 cups DME.

Wow, this one was a looong time ago. It was okay, but had a bit if a twang flavor, from the Ribbon Cane. I brewed it twice and had the same flavor. Pure maple syrup would probably be better.

As a kid, I grew up eating Granny's scratch biscuits (they were so big we called them cat heads) and Steen's syrup, so this really appeals to me. I wonder if a breadier grain and a smoked grain addition would balance out the twang. Kind of a smoked porter.

Back