Oskar Blues Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schemy

Reaction score
Here are some 5 gallon scaled recipes I got from my buddy that used to brew at OB.

Dale's Pale Ale

Mash temp 150 F
10# rahr 2-row
1# Weyerman Cara Foam
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Crisp 77L

1.5 oz Northern Brewer 90min
1.0 oz Cascade 25min
0.5 oz Columbus 10min
2.0 oz Centennial Whirl Pool/end of boil

Yeast 1056 American Ale

Old Chub Scottish Ale

Mash temp 156 F
12# Rahr 2-row
1.6 # Crisp 77L
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Special B
.4# Weyerman Smoked
.3# Simpsons Chocolate

.37 oz Northern Brewer 90min
.50 oz East Kent Golding 10min

Yeast 1056 American Ale

Ten Fidy

Mash temp 148F
9# Rahr 2-row
3.6# Weyerman Munich Light
2.6# Flaked Oats
1.75# Simpsons Cara Malt 30L
1.75# Simpsons Chocolate
1.75# Crisp 77L
1.75# Simpson Roasted Barley

1.35 oz Northern Brewer 90min
1.80 oz Liberty 25min
0.50 oz Columbus 10min

Yeast 1056 American Ale

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale

Mash temp 152 F
12# Rahr 2-row
1.1# Crisp 45L
1# Weyerman Munich Light
1# Weyerman Cara Foam
.05# Simpson Chocolate

1.00 oz Northern Brewer 90min
1.15 oz Columbus 25min
.050 oz Liberty 10min
3 oz Amarillo Dry Hop

Yeast 1056 American Ale

I'm still trying to find the email containing Mama's Little Yella Pils and Gubna. And I have put in a request for Deviant Dale's, but he wasn't at OB anymore when they released that so I'm not sure he can get it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I'm going to ask him about the ferm temps for what I posted.

Thanks for sharing! The IBUs in the Dale's Pale Ale recipe only add up to 25.8 but the commercial version claims 65. I'm not sure what to make of that.

It's 23.8 as the Centinneal is 2 oz.

I believe it is because they whirlpool for an extended period of time in near boiling wort. This extracts IBUs out of the late additions. He told me you may need to adjust you early additions for this, as most of us will not whirlpool for 60-90 minutes.

I'll put them in my beersmith and adjust tonight. It's because of their whirlpool process. You have to take that into account and adjust your bittering charges accordingly.

Ok. I adjusted the hops after calculating in Beersmith. Should be pretty close.

hoping to brew the ol chub this weekend.

anyone else get it?

I would like to know too. I am brewing it this weekend and plan to bourbon barrel age half of it. Hopefully it will turn out good. All of the clone recipes are pretty close to each other, but since this one is supposed to be authentic I'm giving it a go. I'll update this thread when I've brewed it.

Ever brew this setesh?

The old chub im drinking inspired me to find a recipe.

Unfortunately I didn't. :( The batch that I grew up for a yeast starter ended up tasting off and I wasn't about to risk repitching that slurry. :mad: I decided to go back to lagers after that as they are much easier for me to do in the winter. I still plan on this though. I'm hoping to make up another starter batch next weekend, so maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to make up a batch or two of this. I will definitely report back when I brew it, but it may take me a little while to get to it.

I would like to know too. I am brewing it this weekend and plan to bourbon barrel age half of it. Hopefully it will turn out good. All of the clone recipes are pretty close to each other, but since this one is supposed to be authentic I'm giving it a go. I'll update this thread when I've brewed it.

Very interested in the old chub, one of my favorite beers by far(and since it is in cans I can take camping/kayaking). I never notice any smoke malt in it but maybe it's just very cleverly brewed making it a support flavor, normally not a big smoke malt fan (in moderation it can be tasty).

Well, my brewing plans are postponed for a while longer. I ended up having to work this weekend, next weekend we have plans, and the weekend after that I have to work again. Such is life. Maybe I'll be able to pick this up in May. It's probably for the best since my Dr put me on a medicine for my back that prevents me from drinking for a 29 more days. :(

I did brew the Old Chub back in February, and it's been aging in the 2ndary since. I've tasted it a few times since, and I am really going to like this one. It's summer here in TX, so I prefer to drink something a little lighter this time of year. We'll see if I can hold out until fall time.

Thanks for the recipes!

Looking to see if anyone has tried this G'Knight recipe. The one I found (a bit old) had this for a hop schedule:

0.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 90 min
4.0 oz Columbus @ 10 min
2.0 oz Amarillo Dry hop

Any chance this sounds right?

Schemy I'm pretty fired up - will be brewing Old Chubb and Dales this weekend if all goes according to plan. From the looks of it I'll be scaling back the bittering hops on Dales to hit the right IBU number. Also thinking a 60 min boil will get the job done.

Subscribed! I love Oskar Blues and will attempt several of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

SFGiantsFan925 - I used that schedule and it turned out great! I did however substitute Centennial for the dry hop (Amarillo) and upped it to 3.0oz.

I did brew the Old Chub back in February, and it's been aging in the 2ndary since. I've tasted it a few times since, and I am really going to like this one. It's summer here in TX, so I prefer to drink something a little lighter this time of year. We'll see if I can hold out until fall time.

Thanks for the recipes!

How is this one doing? I'd think 4 months in the fermentor would be plenty. I have brewed a few batches of the BYO clone and it was pretty good but not the chub. I've been tweaking it and hopefully have it closer now. Find out in a month or so. Curious if this does well on a side by side comparison.

How is this one doing? I'd think 4 months in the fermentor would be plenty. I have brewed a few batches of the BYO clone and it was pretty good but not the chub. I've been tweaking it and hopefully have it closer now. Find out in a month or so. Curious if this does well on a side by side comparison.

It's been awesome. I did the 90min boil. After 5 months in the 2ndary I bottled and actually had to shake the bottles during conditioning to carb up after priming. If you're aging, you might consider getting bottling yeast or force carb if you've got the equipment. Head retention could be better but I also did a LME version. Perhaps you could achieve better results from an AG version.

My wife is my impartial judge and actually prefers my Chubby clone better than from the can. Grilling season has given us plenty of hearty meat dishes to pair these Chubs. So good!

Brewed up the Dales per OP recipe, but decreased Northern Brewer bittering charge to just 0.5 oz. Keeping everything else the same this brought my IBUs down to around 63-64 (Dales is 65) per Beersmith. If I backed off too much, well I'll just have to brew this again :). OG was 1.063-ish (a tad high I believe), hydro sample had soft bitterness from what I could perceive, to go along with the expected sweetness from conversion. Color looked good.

DalesHydroSample.jpg

I just visited asheville and had a g knight I need to brew a clone , were these recipes close?

Malty, how did the Dales turn out?
Excellent! The best pale ale I've ever made in all honesty. Can you pick out the homebrew in the pics? Adjust bittering hops to reach correct IBUs. Lots of compliments from friends, and I can kind of tell the difference between "hey that's good" and "hey, this beer is flippin fantastic!" when it comes to friends' feedback.

I'd say the homebrew is better from a freshness standpoint. Fresh hop flavor/aroma because, well, its fresh. :mug:

This will be the foundation of a "house" pale ale for me. I may tweak for fun, but its rock solid.

Dalesheadtohead1.jpg

Dalesheadtohead2.jpg

Excellent! The best pale ale I've ever made in all honesty. Can you pick out the homebrew in the pics? Adjust bittering hops to reach correct IBUs. Lots of compliments from friends, and I can kind of tell the difference between "hey that's good" and "hey, this beer is flippin fantastic!" when it comes to friends' feedback.

I'd say the homebrew is better from a freshness standpoint. Fresh hop flavor/aroma because, well, its fresh. :mug:

This will be the foundation of a "house" pale ale for me. I may tweak for fun, but its rock solid.

Homebrew on the right? Lookin good!
Wanna try chub soon!

Glad you guys are getting some mileage out of these recipes. I still haven't brewed one of them. I did a take on the G'Knight, but not one straight up.

Homebrew on the right?
And we have a winner! :mug:

I also made an Old Chub clone - went with the BYO recipe and its pretty solid. Can't remember how this one (Schemy's) compares...I think the hop schedule might be different.

Update, this past weekend I did a side by side comparison with my wife and two other friends. All said my version was better, but very similar. The color was spot on, and the flavor was very close. I felt mine was slightly more malty sweeter. The original is 8%, mo e ca e in at 7.9%. Very close, and I will brew this again, if you like Old Chubb, you will enjoy this. .

got to say that the recipe for G'knight

G'Knight Imperial Red Ale

Mash temp 152 F
12# Rahr 2-row
1.1# Crisp 45L
1# Weyerman Munich Light
1# Weyerman Cara Foam
.05# Simpson Chocolate

1.00 oz Northern Brewer 90min
1.15 oz Columbus 25min
.050 oz Liberty 10min
3 oz Amarillo Dry Hop

Yeast 1056 American Ale

seems wrong based off of SRM. I'm going to replace the carafoam with carastan, as that bumps the color to the right spot. I'm also dubious of the hopping schedule, as I definitely taste more than just 1.5 oz of aroma hops. BUT, I will give my tweaked version a test run within the half year and report back. For those concerned, I'm going to replace the 1 oz of columbus with 4 oz at flame out. I've never made an IPA with only 1.5 oz of aroma hops!

Back