Canadians! Paddockwood closing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just hit paddockwood to look for something and there's a message on the homepage that they're leaving the homebrewing supply business!

A sad day, I don't like ordering over the phone and I definitely don't like ordering from the US. Will certainly restrict my ingredient availability - especially when I want a WYeast product.

Yeah, I know. I was talking to Steve the other day and he was saying that the brewing "co-ops" ie' people who bulk order from suppliers, cut into his business so much that it wasn't worth his time to keep that part of his operation going.

I did buy a brick of S-189 yeast while I was talking to him though.
Arrived 2 days later.

bradsul said:
Will certainly restrict my ingredient availability - especially when I want a WYeast product.

Why? Are there restrictions on what products are available internationally?

talleymonster said:
Why? Are there restrictions on what products are available internationally?

On food products (read grain) yes. Other than that simply the cost of shipping internationally gets quite exorbitant.

talleymonster said:
hmm. Is it too cold to grow your own hops up there?

Nope these are mine as of last week.
PHOT0003-1.jpg

PHOT0005-1.jpg

man - paddock closing - that really sucks!
possibly some good news though:
i was talking to someone at gilbertson and page(canada)inc. in fergus ontario a couple of weeks ago. she said the are planning an on-line store to sell their line of weyermann malts and are planning on hops as well. if it happens it may help out us canucks.

All the US suppliers ship only UPS to Canada and UPS kills you on brokerage fees (I've had order costs almost double because of it). Not too mention customs fees for the government on top of that. It's too bad really considering how close the dollar is.

I'd love to grow hops myself, unfortunately being an apartment dweller curbs that idea. I'm hoping sometime next year I can get into my own house and I'll definitely be getting some hops planted. It's the malt selections that I'm going to have to do without that bother me the most. I like my local shops but they don't carry a lot of variety.

Nice to hear about Gilbertson and Page. I have a sack of their wheat malt right now, it's really good. Fergus is also just up the road from me, maybe no shipping at all. :)

homebrewer_99 said:
Nice plants!!! How many years have they been growing?

I first planted them last june. Got a few oz of cascade last year.
Will get a few pounds (I hope) out of 6 plants this year.
I have 3 cascade and 3 Hallertau

Going to have to make my trellis higher next year, lol.

Latest posts

Back