Don't top this - DGMFSOB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I have had the @#*&%$@# worst week of my life, so today I took the day off to brew. I thought, if the world is going to **** on you then go make beer. So I am brewing along and start my run-off when the whole @#@!!@#$%^&^%$#@!@#@!~@# Mash/lauter tun tips over and dumps. 57 pounds of grain down the drain, AND now I have to clean it up. I have about 5 gallons of first runnings in the kettle. I will see what happens with that, but man, this has really been a #@$%$@#^%$#!*&%^$@#!#$$% day and a half.

CIMG2111.jpg

Brewpastor said:
I have had the @#*&%$@# worst week of my life, so today I took the day off to brew. I thought, if the world is going to **** on you then go make beer. So I am brewing along and start my run-off when the whole @#@!!@#$%^&^%$#@!@#@!~@# Mash/lauter tun tips over and dumps. 57 pounds of grain down the drain, AND now I have to clean it up. I have about 5 gallons of first runnings in the kettle. I will see what happens with that, but man, this has really been a #@$%$@#^%$#!*&%^$@#!#$$% day and a half.

CIMG2111.jpg

I dumped over 59 pounds once, so I know your pain. But what sucked is that I was on fire at the time, and none of the liquid landed on me.

Dude! Super weak. Well, you could start up a nice barley wine off of the wort you did get I guess. What kind of brew were you making?

Sorry to hear about that. A terrible week, topped off by a terrible brewday. I'll be wearing my black armband today for your loss.

If I was a "look on the bright side" kind of person, I'd tell you that things will get better. However, I'm not that kind of person, so I'll just tell you that sucks.

Dang. I guess that's one con of batches that big. When it goes bad, it's %$@#! BAD. Considering I'm thinking of making a tippy MLT, care to elaborate on what went wrong and how you're going to fix it?

Sorry to hear that the beer was lost, but even more sorry that it was the capper of a truly crap week. I've had a couple of 'worst week of my life' in the last year, and it's no fun at all. I'll lift one to better days for us both tonight.

The pivot point ought to be above the center of gravity. Too low, too easy to tip. To high, too hard to tip.

Brewpastor's set up look to be easily adjustible, what with all that perforated tubing. I'd try about 2/3rds of the height of the usual batch. Perhaps adjust it for differtent batch sizes. I think it could be higher than you think, since the content will start to spill out before it realy gets tilted. No, wait, we are talking spent grains, not liquids. More experimentation needed... and a long lever... Then put a latch on it too.

I dumped the first runnings. Just said SCREW IT. Brew Gods 1, me 0 - tomorrow is another day! Everything is cleaned up, the grain has gone to the chickens. As for adjusting the tun to make it lower, too late, Elvis has left the building... Did I tell you I burned my arm too? 3" blister across the fore arm. Scares show you have lived, that beer has been made and sacrifices have been offered to the beer gods. It is time for a big, tasty beer.

Don't know what to say BP. That sucks!

I too seem to have crap happen to top off a crappy day/week.

"Tomorrow's a new day" doesn't really seem to do it.

Damn it man, that seriously sucks! When you can't even get the soothing satisfaction of brewing, it's just not your day. Very sorry to hear about it! :(

No it doesn't. So how about a cocktail. I have created a new one and I love it. I call it JFK's Nightmare. Muddle a quarter lime and 3 sprigs of fresh mint in a tall glass (like a Mohito) Add 3 ozs of volda, about the same amount of cranberry juice, ice and top off with club soda. Sort of a Cape Cod with a Soviet/Cuban twist.

Brewing mishap? What brewing mishap?

Brewpastor said:

No it doesn't. So how about a cocktail. I have created a new one and I love it. I call it JFK's Nightmare. Muddle a quarter lime and 3 sprigs of fresh mint in a tall glass (like a Mohito) Add 3 ozs of volda, about the same amount of cranberry juice, ice and top off with club soda. Sort of a Cape Cod with a Soviet/Cuban twist.

Brewing mishap? What brewing mishap?

Do yourself a favor and get some copper mugs for this. You'll thank me.
- another arid brewer.

I see the next "UPGRADE" a motorized tippy dump for Brewpastor. You could easily hook up a linear actuator to that sucker. That would prevent accidents and make dumping very easy.

Sorry about the accident.

Todd said:
I see the next "UPGRADE" a motorized tippy dump for Brewpastor. You could easily hook up a linear actuator to that sucker. That would prevent accidents and make dumping very easy.

Sorry about the accident.

I have a clip that holds everything in place and prevents dumping. I just found it in the boys' toy room. I could get mad, but that would only make it a crappier day. I think I will have another JFK's Nightmare instead.

olllllo said:
Melts the ice rapidly and makes it refreshing as all get out.
This is especially true in dry climes.

Cool, I will have to keep an eye out for a set. Great piece of advice! I just make a JFK with RUM... very nice as well.

I'm just glad that the boys weren't out giving Dad a hand when the accident occured. Pisser to lose that much soon-to-be-great beer, but as someone else said, thank God neither you nor anyone else was hurt.

Still a friggin' pisser, though ;)

The boys will be all sad that it didn't work out. They love to help around the brewery. They even did a science fair project on fermentation and bread making last week. Not bad for 2nd grade and kindergarten!

I am glad they were not around when every thing went splat!

Wow! That's truly one of the saddest pictures I've seen in a long time. :( I feel for you BP. Glad no was was seriously hurt.

Damn.... I feel for you man.That has to be the most #$%$#$ rotten luck anyone has ever had.

BUT KEEP YOUR HEAD HIGH ....That's a beautiful setup you have there.

BREW ON .........
Colin

I feel for you BP. It is disappointing to see the mash all over the ground.
Someday you can have a big laugh over this one.
:mug: Here's to another day of brewing and letting this day not get the best of you.

What were you brewing and how much of it to need 57 pounds of grain? You even do accidents on a higher level than everyone else.

Pumbaa said:
Sounds the the perfect excuse to make another batch . . .
Silver linings man . . .

:off:
Does anyone else catch the irony here, of Pumbaa giving you silver linings and me being negative? Usually, I'm the one blowing sunshine up everyone's a##. Good job Pumbaa.
PS- Pumbaa, are you ok? :D

What a complete fock up!
Yeup, 2mrw is another day, yesterday also was another day and 2mrw, yesterday will be today so that all means feck all. Life should be lived for the minutes, not for the days.
...sorry about yer loss though :(

dibby33 said:
Yeup, 2mrw is another day, yesterday also was another day and 2mrw, yesterday will be today so that all means feck all. Life should be lived for the minutes, not for the days.

I think I need a few of Brew Pastor's JFK's Nightmares before I fully understand that. :drunk:

My philosophy is that you need to work rally hard for good things to happen.
Bad things happen out of the blue, no matter what you do.

I was brewing 25 gallons of ESB. I will try again on Saturday, but will probably do something else. My Kindergartener told me he knew it was not a good day to brew and that I should have made something dark! I will go with his instincts. Or brew another 777.

Latest posts

Back