would this be a waste of bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrid

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a dumb question that gets asked alot, but i just opened a fermenter after 9 days to check FG and bottle. If it stings my nose and has off-white frothy bubbles on top is there any hope at all, or is it a goner?:(

it is probably fine. the sting is from the co2 thats not bad and there are usually bubbles on the top of beer in the fermentor. taste it and if it tastes like beer u r fine.

I discussed my recipe in a thread in the "Recipes/INgredients" section, and wasn't sure exactly what to call it, but for reference here is what it is:

For 4 gallons:
4 lb. light LME
1/4 lb. Black Patent
1/8 lb. Chocolate malt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn sugar
1oz Kent Goldings
~1/4 oz Czech Saaz
White Labs Abbey Ale yeast

OG: .042 FG: .008

It has been fermenting at room temp. (low 70's) I'm aware that it is a bit warm and could produce some off flavors. BUt I think such a vile assault on my nose upon opening is something else altogether, right? The fact that I tried to ferment in a bottling bucket is probably a factor too. I know, call me a *******, but this brew was meant to be a kind of experimental one while my carboy is being used for cider. Lesson learned, don't be chintzy with equipment *smacks head*

However it IS still bubbling. Should I give it more time, or is that more nasties multiplying in there? help!

Edit: I posted this before seeing the previous reply. i tasted the hydrometer sample. it's a little cidery and cloying, but it reminds me of a previous batch that aged pretty well. The bubbling may have been from pressure after returning the lid.

looks like an English brown or mild ale with belgian yeast.

Give it time. How long has it been fermenting?

Abbey Ale yeasts I believe are actually tolerant of higher temps so that should be fine. They are also very distinctive flavor wise so like I said,

give it time.

If it melts through the bucket and starts eating away at your floor then you might want to consider disposing of it. :D

knights of Gambrinus said:
If it melts through the bucket and starts eating away at your floor then you might want to consider disposing of it. :D

Nah, just bottle what you can and let it mellow. In 10 or 15 years you might have an excellent brew. :rockin:

I have to agree with the others. Give it a taste and if it is still drinkable, keep it going. Beers only get better with age, so if it is decent now, it should be great in a few.

Jason

jarrid said:
The fact that I tried to ferment in a bottling bucket is probably a factor too. I know, call me a *******, but this brew was meant to be a kind of experimental one while my carboy is being used for cider. Lesson learned, don't be chintzy with equipment *smacks head*
I doubt it's because of the bucket. Every batch I've done as been in a bucket with a spigot (bottling Bucket) as a primary.....

You said it's only been 9 days...you're no where NEAR bottling time yet!

Either move it to a secondary or just give it another couple weeks in the bucket, you'll be fine.

If you have a hydrometor take a sample and see where you're at. Did you take a starting gravity?

RDWHA-beer of some kind!

hang in there

I'd say it's time to spend $20 for a secondary carboy. Get that beer racked off the yeast and let it condition in that secondary for at least two weeks. If you bottle it now, you're likely to have excessive fermentables and yeast in those bottles.

Sting on the nostril...normal.
White foaming...normal.
Cidery taste 9 days in...normal.

Get that beer into a secondary and put that bucket to good use and get another brew going.

I was all set up to bottle yesterday thinking this one was gonna be a short fermentation and i'd let it age a little extra in the bottles. Well, i decided against that, because it obviously needs more time, and all the little bubbles still floating to the surface were hinting at potential bottle bombs. I just panicked because that smell reminded me of my failed attempts at making cider back in the day with ghetto-rigged equipment. Yuck!

After everyones feedback, i think that it is definitely time to invest in another carboy (or at least a bucket) to give this beer the secondary it needs/deserves.

Thanks.

jarrid said:
After everyones feedback, i think that it is definitely time to invest in another carboy (or at least a bucket) to give this beer the secondary it needs/deserves.

Thanks.

Glass carboy would be a lot better. Plastic is fine for primary but if you are going to be letting it sit to clear for longer times oxygen permeability of plastic starts to be an issue. Plastic=primary
glass=clearing tank(or secondary)

Back