Any dog biscuit recipes using spent grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there really isn't anything nutritional or good for your dog in there, its all filler...same crap that comes in cheap dog food.

While I agree that there is no nutritional benefit, three questions come to mind.
1) Is there anything detrimental about it?
2) Will the dog eat it?
3) What will it do to his poop?

I've done it.

These turned out well because my dogs devoured them.

Just make sure you thoroughly dry them...they will mold if they have any moisture in them.

3 cups flour
3 cups spent grain
1 cup cornmeal
1 stick butter
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup of water with 3 buillion cubes disolved
more flour to get the right consistency

roll out and use a pizza cutter to make pieces
bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour or until hard biscuit like

Dude said:
I've done it.

These turned out well because my dogs devoured them.

Just make sure you thoroughly dry them...they will mold if they have any moisture in them.

That looks great. Thanks, Dude.

Edit- I mean for my DOG.

Reminds me of the Beneful commercial where they put carrots and grains into the dog food...last time I checked dogs were carnivores, not vegetatians...:drunk:

(Psst...they don't have flat molars for crushing veggies/grains...)

I feed my dog spent grains and he loves them, i just mix it in with his regular food, he thinks that the is getting a treat or something. doesn't seem to mess with his poop too much but, then again, I have never really check to see if it did. I will usually fill a zip lock bag and referidgerate it and it will last untill I brew again. The rest I till into the compst heap.

I dunno, my dog will eat poop too if I fed it to him...doesn't mean it is good or had any nutritional value to him. Would you eat your spent grains (other than a small amount in bread or something)? They are fiber, they will make you poo. My dog doesn't have any problems with that.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I dunno, my dog will eat poop too if I fed it to him...doesn't mean it is good or had any nutritional value to him. Would you eat your spent grains (other than a small amount in bread or something)? They are fiber, they will make you poo. My dog doesn't have any problems with that.

I agree it has no real nutritional value, but it's better then giving them crappy proccessed treats. and it makes him happy, just my opinion though. I like the idea of making treats out of the grains I think that I will give that a shot.

wop31 said:
I agree it has no real nutritional value, but it's better then giving them crappy proccessed treats. and it makes him happy, just my opinion though. I like the idea of making treats out of the grains I think that I will give that a shot.
...as long as you include a beer to drink it down with (for the dog), then I have no problem...:drunk:

Here's two recipes that the dogs rave (bark) for:

Spent Grain Dog Biscuits

4 cups spent grain
4 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350°F to solidify them. Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225°F for 8 to 10 hours to dry them very thoroughly to prevent mold growth. Store in an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.

Pizza-n-Beer dog bones:

2 cup Wet Spent Grain
½ cup Pizza/Pasta Sauce
4 ea. Cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 ea. Egg
2 cup Any combination of whole wheat, corn, barley, soy, or regular flour

Mix into a firm dough (I had to add a bit more flour to get it firm). Roll out on a greased cookie sheet to about ¼ - ⅛" thick. Cut into wedges, or strips, or (if you're really creative) bones. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Turn off heat, and leave in the oven over night to get hard.

Enjoy,
Wild

Any one tried these recipes themselves. I'm not sure about a dog but these recipes are making me hungry. :)
Maybe I will make up a batch and give them to my parents for their dog.
After all they are allowing me to grow hops on their farm and I'm currently borrowing their turkey fryer.

Craig

wild said:
Here's two recipes that the dogs rave (bark) for:

Spent Grain Dog Biscuits

4 cups spent grain
4 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350°F to solidify them. Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225°F for 8 to 10 hours to dry them very thoroughly to prevent mold growth. Store in an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.

Pizza-n-Beer dog bones:

2 cup Wet Spent Grain
½ cup Pizza/Pasta Sauce
4 ea. Cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 ea. Egg
2 cup Any combination of whole wheat, corn, barley, soy, or regular flour

Mix into a firm dough (I had to add a bit more flour to get it firm). Roll out on a greased cookie sheet to about ¼ - ⅛" thick. Cut into wedges, or strips, or (if you're really creative) bones. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Turn off heat, and leave in the oven over night to get hard.

Enjoy,
Wild

From some website...

Onion and garlic poisoning...
Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.

The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.

:off:

Have you guys seen this?

BottleShotNew.jpg

Quoting David 42 (a fellow that seems to know his **** pretty well) from an earlier post:

"Spent grains actually have a fairly high protein content and are commonly used as cattle feed. Golden Valley Brewery's owners feed the spent grain to their Angus to augment the grass and then serve the Angus at the Pub."

homebrewer_99 said:
Reminds me of the Beneful commercial where they put carrots and grains into the dog food...last time I checked dogs were carnivores, not vegetatians...:drunk:

(Psst...they don't have flat molars for crushing veggies/grains...)

:off:

Actually Bill, dogs are omnivores. Although they belong to the order "Carnivora", this does not limit them strictly to meat (an obligate carnivore is limited to meat). Wolves and other wild canines do eat vegetation and obtain nutrients from the stomach contents of their herbivorous prey.

:cool:

My dog is definitely an omnivore --- she loves to take a break during springtime walks to eat her "salad" of fresh growth, loves zucchini, and a number of other fresh garden vegetables.

Of course, she also has a fancy for certain vintage of horse manure. I haven't been able to figure out what characteristics make it palatable, versus more suitable for a all fur treatment.

Back