Broken carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wine or the carboy? Did the carboy break or just crack? You could filter the wine though coffee filters and be fine, the if the carboy is cracked it will break. Try keeping them in plastic milk crates, it protects them and makes them easier to move around

shattered? Wouldnt that put the wine on the floor? Im going to assume the carboy cracked? If glass physically broke off the carboy then I would dump it. A carboy worth of wine is not worth risking serious injury over. IMO cost of 1 batch of wine < hospital bills from ingesting glass

Also... pics?

Coffee filter will remove any glass particles big enough to cause any medical problems. Anything that might pass will be like a piece of super fine sand.And you would be surprised at how much sand and dirt is in your food!

Dang man, thats a hell of a crack. I would honestly dump it. Its a bummer, but by dumping it, it guarantees that you wont accidentally drink glass shards that happened to make it into a bottle.

Carboy is in the trash I was worried bout the wine

I guess it's too late now, but as others pointed out, racking through a coffee filter or better yet, tying a fine mesh hop bag around your racking cane would have prevented any sizeable glass particles to be transferred.

I guess it's too late now, but as others pointed out, racking through a coffee filter or better yet, tying a fine mesh hop bag around your racking cane would have prevented any sizeable glass particles to be transferred.

Can you cold crash glass out? :D

I can't contribute anything more than others already have. But I'm willing to bet this will be your last glass carboy. PET all the way :rockin:

Wow, what a mess! You surely haven't had much luck there.

How about using plastic buckets instead? They're very sturdy, won't break easily, even when dropping a full one a few inches. They come with a handle and are easy to clean. Now they're useless as secondaries, but for those few instances I need them, I use kegs.

I still use glass carboys for long term aging sours. They don't get handled much that way, and when I do, I'm very careful, thinking 2 steps ahead, and always before beer.

I want a few glass for aging beer I have 5 glass gonna buy a few plastic primaries and a few more pin locks..I hate cleaning up useless messes

I would dedicate a couple PET carboys to sours...

Wow, what a mess! You surely haven't had much luck there.

How about using plastic buckets instead? They're very sturdy, won't break easily, even when dropping a full one a few inches. They come with a handle and are easy to clean. Now they're useless as secondaries, but for those few instances I need them, I use kegs.

I still use glass carboys for long term aging sours. They don't get handled much that way, and when I do, I'm very careful, thinking 2 steps ahead, and always before beer.

Latest posts

Back