Craziest Adjunt Used/Seen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamptrump

Reaction score
Based on some discussions that went down in another thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=527150). It has raised some thought on the idea of adjuncts and beer.

I pose this, what is the craziest adjunct you've seen or personally have used in a beer? I'm curious on some experimentation other brewers have done.

I'll go first...I think the strangest I've seen (but not personally tried out of fear) would have to be tomato (paste or otherwise) to make a pizza beer.

My BIL and one of his buddies got an idea to make a "coffee and cigarettes" breakfast stout. Since tobacco is toxic when brewed with, they approximated the cigarettes part by using smoked malt and burnt-to-ash oak chips. I never got to try a bottle, but he wasn't too happy with the results.

Considering he usually offers breathless praise for probably 90% of the beers he tries, that's saying something.

Bacon. Oh how I love bacon and beer, but good lord don't mix the two and put them in a bottle. Please.

I just brewed a batch with rose hips and rose petal extract and is currently in secondary fermentation. It's a tribute to my grandfather who grew roses - I'm fermenting the batch in a carboy he used for making rose petal wine. I suspect it's going to be good or really, stupendously horrible.

I just brewed a batch with rose hips and rose petal extract and is currently in secondary fermentation. It's a tribute to my grandfather who grew roses - I'm fermenting the batch in a carboy he used for making rose petal wine. I suspect it's going to be good or really, stupendously horrible.

What style of beer? I could see that being really good in a saison or a light Belgian ale.

I used a mix of green and white tea in an ipa with some clover honey it came out pretty good and have been meaning to make it again. Also I disagree with the bacon guy, I work for Rockingham Brewing company in NH and we have a belly of the beast imperial bacon stout and it is freakin awesome!

There is something about a certain type of yeast that gives women problems making its way into beer...

:[

There is something about a certain type of yeast that gives women problems making its way into beer...

:[

Yeah, that one would get my vote too, I think.

The strangest adjuncts I've used aren't too strange. Just sweet potatoes and acorn squash in one and my Chili Pale Ale with Jalapenos. Sometimes, when I'm brewing a Cream Ale and I have leftover grits, in they go!

Yeah, that one would get my vote too, I think.

The strangest adjuncts I've used aren't too strange. Just sweet potatoes and acorn squash in one and my Chili Pale Ale with Jalapenos. Sometimes, when I'm brewing a Cream Ale and I have leftover grits, in they go!

I think cat fur tops it all so far! :cross::cross::drunk:

Lobsters and clams. A buddy of mine did it. Never talked about it again so I can only assume the results were...interesting

I mashed with 100% kombucha for strike water...... efficiency was poor, and the sour didn't really come through. I ended up adding honey to bring the gravity up.

Made a "pork chop stout" using real pork, by boiling a pork roast in water with no salt or spices, saving the liquid, which turned to jelly like you find on spam, but not salty. Took the solidified fat off the top after refrigerating it. I added the jelly to the boil. The stout ended up superb..... a rich chocolaty stout hopped with Nelson Sauvin. The pork of course added nothing except the right to claim it was made with real pork. It was a hit with everybody who tasted it.

Made a beer last week that included a pound of Bob's Red Mill 7 grain cereal in the mash along with more typical grains for a 2.5 gallon brew. It looks like it will come out quite well.

I'm planning to make an oyster pilsner, and a raspberry chocolate stout made with Nelson Sauvin.

H.W.

What style of beer? I could see that being really good in a saison or a light Belgian ale.

I aimed for a light Belgian style ale in color and body (WLP530 Abbey Ale), but added some light Belgian Candi sugar to give it an ABV of 6.5% for an extra kick since it's named "Mighty Like a Rose".

I used a mix of green and white tea in an ipa with some clover honey it came out pretty good and have been meaning to make it again. Also I disagree with the bacon guy, I work for Rockingham Brewing company in NH and we have a belly of the beast imperial bacon stout and it is freakin awesome!

It must be the only one. I will however see if I can make my way over there to give it a try next time I visit family in Hookset/Manchester.

It must be the only one. I will however see if I can make my way over there to give it a try next time I visit family in Hookset/Manchester.

You should, we are one of 4 brewery's in a ten mile radius so you can get quite the spectrum of stuff in not very far of a ride. Exit 4 off 93 and your there

Made a "pork chop stout" using real pork, by boiling a pork roast in water with no salt or spices, saving the liquid, which turned to jelly like you find on spam, but not salty. Took the solidified fat off the top after refrigerating it. I added the jelly to the boil. The stout ended up superb..... a rich chocolaty stout hopped with Nelson Sauvin. The pork of course added nothing except the right to claim it was made with real pork. It was a hit with everybody who tasted it.

I bet it had great mouthfeel!

I used to work at a LHBS (and anyone local will know where when I say this...).
The owner there made a beer with a pound or two of oven-toasted cicadas. It was.....exactly as you'd expect.

I used to work at a LHBS (and anyone local will know where when I say this...).
The owner there made a beer with a pound or two of oven-toasted cicadas. It was.....exactly as you'd expect.

I do remember hearing about that one now that you mention it. Yuck. :drunk:

Back