Men: Getting snipped. Yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
48 hours post-procedure. Feeling much better but still sore. Continuing with the medication, frozen peas, and taking it easy today. Happy Easter all.

It's incredibly rare and I can't fully explain it. Last I looked, they estimated a 1 in 2000 chance. Most docs are using pretty standard techniques... I do titanium clips, remove a segment, and cauterize the ends. Others do fascism interposition and ties instead of clips. I think as long as it's done right, with any of the above methods, it's absolutely the most effective (practical) form of birth control. Again I don't really get how "recanalization" happens, I think it's just horrible horrible luck. It's happened to patients of some docs that I know do great vasectomies, so it has nothing to do with inexperience. Of course, a sample has to be submitted 6-8 weeks after the vasectomy to make sure the swimmers are gone in the first place...

Interesting cut and paste from link:

To cut to the chase, according to the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists1 there is 1 in 2000 chance of a pregnancy resulting from vasectomy failure – 0.05%. This figure is generally accepted as being accurate, and the figure most doctors will quote when asked for a reliability figure. This figure is based on men having been given clearance after submitting samples for analysis in order to rule out early failures and recanalization (spontaneous re-joining of the vas deferens). One study4 puts the rate at 1 in 4000 (0.025%) when DNA proven paternity of post-vasectomy babies was taken into account.

As I read this, the 1 in 2000 pregnancy rate is when paternity is not taken into account and is closer to 1:4000 when it is. Back to my assertion that the doctor take the blame for something that may not be their fault.;)

I had it done on the 17th, just in time for the tourney games. Dr. gave me 1 Xanax to take before coming in, so I was nice and calm for the procedure. Did the frozen peas for 2 days and only took one of the pain pills, didn't want to not drink during the games. Overall it wasn't too bad.

Funny story for y'all- I also do vasectomy reversals which is a very difficult and expensive (out of pocket) surgery with a marginal success rate (50-80%, depending on a few factors). Anyways I had this patient come in with his wife to discuss getting this done. He later comes back to see me without his wife and asked me to just take him to the OR and make the incisions to make it look like I did the reversal, but not actually do the reversal. Apparently SWMBO was more into the idea of more kids than he was...
but yeah he basically wanted to pay me several thousand dollars to stab him in the scrotum and then sew him up.

Haha funny stuff. I'm back at work today. Still sore but I feel much better than yesterday. I was in pain at the family Easter party.

My guy does 14/day, and has done over 44,000 in total. He was highly recommended, and everyone I talked to while I was considering it had gone to see this same guy. I had high confidence in him.

That's a lot of balls.

12 days out, I gently started back into an exercise routine. Yesterday, I "ran" 1 mile on my treadmill, at a paltry 5.0 mph. I plan to try it again today, maybe increasing the distance slightly. So far, so good.

I'm 5 days out. Very tender and bruised. I spent a couple hours in the car yesterday which didn't help. Overall doing well but I didn't think I would be this sore at this point.

@Helly: Hmm, that's surprising. What type of procedure did you have done? Was it the no needle/no scalpel one, with just some local anesthetic, or was it a more invasive procedure? I never had any swelling or bruising at all.

That right there is why I couldn't do it. I am a walking example of Murphy's Law. I wear glasses/contacts and would love to get the Lasik eye surgery, but 1) I am not comfortable to having my cornea shaved off, and 2) everything that could go wrong probably would. Halos around lights, blued vision, possible blindness... no thanks, I'll just keep sticking little pieces of plastic over my eyeballs, or keep wiping the lenses of my glasses every 3 minutes when another fingerprint magically appears on them.

If I ever was gonna get snipped, I'd probably end up with elephantitus of the nuts.

@Helly: Hmm, that's surprising. What type of procedure did you have done? Was it the no needle/no scalpel one, with just some local anesthetic, or was it a more invasive procedure? I never had any swelling or bruising at all.

No scalpel. I haven't had swelling, thank goodness. Just sore and as I've gotten back to work and moving around a lot more than I was this weekend, I'm getting more black and blue down there. I wouldn't call it real bad. I've made it through work the past 3 days just fine. Just thought I'd feel better at this point than I do.

Did it last year, no regrets at all. Other than I didn't do it years ago. SWMBO and I decided very early on in our relationship we weren't going to have kids. It was quick, painless, and I didn't need anything more than a 3 day weekend to recover. Was back playing hockey in two weeks.

If I could do it over again, I'd have it done the day before March Madness starts, and just take the rest of the week off.

I think one of the key points here is that everyone is different. Every surgeon has different techniques and every persons anatomy is different and everyone's healing experience is different. I have patients who never take a single dose of pain meds and are ready to ride a dirt bike the next day, and others who are still eating Vicodin like tic tacs a week later. I do the same procedure on then and they have completely different experiences. So when a guy asks- "can I golf next Saturday?"- I say to him - maybe. But i wouldn't plan on it. if you feel great then go ahead but don't come crawling into my office with a nutsack the size of a grapefruit after slamming balls 300 yards off the tee.
Bottom line- there is no "normal" recovery time. But please don't plan any strenuous activity for a week.

Ran a pretty decent 5K yesterday on the treadmill, at near my usual effort (maybe 80-90%?) and still feel fine today. I feel like next week I'll be ready to resume my normal exercise routine with no holding back at all. Procedure was 2 weeks ago yesterday.

Almost 7 weeks post-snip, feeling back to normal. I checked a sample with my microscope yesterday, saw *nothing*. It's a barren desert. A stark contrast to the virtual rave I saw through the lens pre-snip. It's been 20 "releases," but I'm still supposed to wait the 12 weeks before I submit a sample to the lab for the official declaration.

Almost 7 weeks post-snip, feeling back to normal. I checked a sample with my microscope yesterday, saw *nothing*. It's a barren desert. A stark contrast to the virtual rave I saw through the lens pre-snip. It's been 20 "releases," but I'm still supposed to wait the 12 weeks before I submit a sample to the lab for the official declaration.
When I had to go back to provide a sample (they needed it very fresh) there were three nurses sitting around the desk. One gave me a bottle and directed me to a room. They said if we're not here just leave the specimen at the desk. Thankfully they made themselves scarce before I was done.

See that's weird - with mine, I read the website for the lab, and they want me to bring in a sample "within an hour" of producing it. Yet the instructions from the doctor actually say to mail it in. They even gave me a pre-addressed bubble-wrap envelope in which to mail it. So maybe after 12 weeks, it doesn't have to be as fresh?

See that's weird - with mine, I read the website for the lab, and they want me to bring in a sample "within an hour" of producing it. Yet the instructions from the doctor actually say to mail it in. They even gave me a pre-addressed bubble-wrap envelope in which to mail it. So maybe after 12 weeks, it doesn't have to be as fresh?

I got the "within the hour" instructions, I've never heard of the mail it in option. I would think there would be cell death during mailing and giving false negatives which would be BAD in this instance.

I did the "within the hour" route and had some rare, non-motile sperm which meant a wait/re-test (although I understand this is basically a negative). The re-test I did right at the lab.

Seems like different labs have different levels of confidence in their testing/sampling.

I'm at 6 weeks. Feeling good for the past couple weeks. I have not gone in for the first test, they told me 8 weeks. They didn't give me real specific instructions so I'll just give them a call end of next week.

After mine, I went back as directed. The nurse gave me a sterile bottle and directed me to a softly lighted room. She told me to take my time and to leave the sample on the table by the door, then turned and closed the door as she left.

There was a couch, recliner and large upholstered chair. On the table were a dozen or more magazines, each with content for different tastes.

This was the first time in my life that I was under orders to produce a specimen. I rather enjoyed the experience. I'm certainly glad that I didn't just have to 'mail it in.'

Mine was a while ago. Let's see if I can remember exactly how it happened....

It was a warm and humid spring afternoon. The gentle scent of lilac wafted through the house, and the songs of birds and hum of motorcars passing by on the road at the edge of the property serenaded me as I wended my way through the house to the private area I had set aside specifically for this occasion.

I thought about putting on some soft jazz, but then decided against it. Too cliché. I chose instead, Steve Vai's "Passion and Warfare". The instrumental album captures raw emotion within it's virtuoso passages, and has served my wife and I well for many years. I skipped track one, Liberty, as it is essentially an anthem and went straight to track two: Erotic Nightmares. It was the perfect audio accompaniment to begin my endeavours. Track 3, The Animal, helped to continue along the expected progression, but I had to carefully slacken the pace through tracks 4, 5, and 6. Track 7, For the Love of God, was where I wanted to be.

The track starts slowly and reverently and slowly builds until it reaches a climactic crescendo. I matched the song, stroke for note.

Then I think we drove to GR and dropped the sample off to the office.

I'm about to get some Euflexxa injections in my knee. Anyone do this? I need a total knee replacement but I'm too "young". So we are trying this...

I used to work with a guy not only dumb enough to go through with this but to talk about it at the office. His name was Marple and by the time it was over he was universally called Marble (note singular) and growing a beard to see if he could.

I used to work with a guy not only dumb enough to go through with this but to talk about it at the office. His name was Marple and by the time it was over he was universally called Marble (note singular) and growing a beard to see if he could.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

If you do would you mind sharing it with the rest of us?

I've been wanting to get this done but SWMBO isn't too keen on the idea... Blows my mind...

I've been wanting to get this done but SWMBO isn't too keen on the idea... Blows my mind...

Wow, really? That's a new one - I've never heard of the wife/girlfriend being the one opposed. What's her reasoning? Is she not sure she doesn't want any (more) kids?

Wow, really? That's a new one - I've never heard of the wife/girlfriend being the one opposed. What's her reasoning? Is she not sure she doesn't want any (more) kids?

Long story short, we had to have her ovaries stimulated in our attempt to have kids. It resulted in 2 kids and 5 fertilized eggs sitting in cryo. IF we want more kids, we hit up the cryo bank and see if any take. If they fail, we milk me like a cow. My wife is now near 40 and the chances of her ever conceiving naturally are near nil, but she still may want more kids. So my Johnson cord is key to her maternal happiness. :mug:

Long story short, we had to have her ovaries stimulated in our attempt to have kids. It resulted in 2 kids and 5 fertilized eggs sitting in cryo. IF we want more kids, we hit up the cryo bank and see if any take. If they fail, we milk me like a cow. My wife is now near 40 and the chances of her ever conceiving naturally are near nil, but she still may want more kids. So my Johnson cord is key to her maternal happiness. :mug:

I can't imagine having a kid at 40. That would put you at 58 at the earliest till they are gone, and the way things are going in todays society more like 65-70. No thanks.

Back