Sub 1.030 beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gbx - if you need exact recipes than I would say this book isn't for everyone. But if you like to use recipes as a starting point than it's great. There's a large number of recipes in there.

I use bairds British malts-pale +pils When it calls for crystal, it's 60 for me. British beers should be simple, straightforward but what I'll do is take one of those recipes and add rye to it, use American hops and Chico yeast and I have a nice beer to call my own.

That's unfortunate and I'm not going to defend a guy I don't know and I haven't read the book but....

He's British right? When they say pale malt, they mean the 3-5 Lovibond British malts. I can see them speaking generically about malt in Britain. Their choices are more limited and local/regional than ours. In Suffolk, your pale malt may be Maris Otter, while Golden Promise isn't available.

No, he actually rants about this. He says more beers claim to be made with MO than is physically possible considering the size of the harvest and that the home brewer shouldn't worry about specifics.

The large brew houses aren't typically any more specific. They order malt kilned to their specs and don't think in terms of Crystal 15 or Crystal 20 or Crystal 40 like we do.

Thats not necessarily the case with british brewers. Listen to any of the CYBI of Sunday Session eps with UK brewers and none of them mention custom malts. They are often very specific and the same stuff thats available to homebrewers (ie "we use pale ale malt from muntons or pauls and 150EBC simpsons crystal")

Those recipes don't scare me. As a US homebrewer making British style ales, you can make some good guesses:

90% pale malt = Maris Otter or Golden Promise
5% crystal malt = Simpsons English Crystal Medium, dark or extra dark depending on what you want or the style
4% white sugar = table/cane sugar
1% black malt = black patent

Exactly! so you don't need a book with 50+ recipes that are essentially identical. You will get a "bitter" from any of these recipes but with low gravity bitters, the choice of yeast and base malt does matter.

As far as hops, I never go by ounces when reading recipes (unless it's a clone). I always look at the addition times and a target, overall bitterness-to-wort gravity ratio (a mild might be 0.5 while an IPA might be 0.9). I can see people cloning American, hop-centric, beers with off-the-shelf brand grain and hops, but I'm not going to bother trying to clone a Boddingtons. In that case, I'd be happy with making something in the same vein.

But we don't even get FG numbers and there is a recipe for Boddingtons and its practically identical to 40 other recipes in the book and lacks any of the detail needed to get any closer than a generic ordinary bitter. Its generally accepted that wy1318 is the boddingtons strain but this book thinks you can do fine with "ale yeast". The book probably predates this information but like most (if not ALL) homebrewing books written prior to the internet, its hopelessly out of date.

Gbx - I still think it's a great book. I also have the 'pale ale' book by terry foster and you could make the same argument with that book - there's only do many ways to create a pale ale.

I'm seeing about 100 pages of recipes in brew own real ale going from milds, bitters, old ales, stouts, porters, etc and some with interesting ingredients like wheat flour, flaked wheat, maize, diff sugars.

I personally dig the book but if your looking for something more exact check out jamils book brewing classic styles. When I brew a recipe from his book I rarely use the exact recipe.

That book (GWBYOBAH) was written during the 80s wasn't it? I know it's been reprinted a few times but I think it was of it's time, so to speak - for example in the version I have he writes about how it's best to use yeast from a bottle of Guinness - good luck trying that now. And in some regards just asking for pale malt is more accurate than specifying one type, as british brewers are notorious for changing the types of malts used due to price/availability and the ever changing varieties of barley being used. And the recipes themselves change over time - at one point Boddy's was actually a decent beer with a fairly respectable hoppy bite to it, now it's awful dregs.

No doubt there are some limitations to it - the colour correction one is the main one, adding 5% black patent adds a bit more than colour I think we can all agree

There's enough there though to get plenty of base recipes from, and you can tweak them however you see fit

Here's what I'm planning next...

I'm going to brew about 3-1/2 gallons of this Mild recipe and split it between three 1-gallon carboys and a bucket loosely covered with foil. I'm going to use three different yeasts:
  • English Ale WLP002
  • West Yorkshire Ale Wyeast 1469
  • Ringwood Ale Wyeast 1187
  • Ringwood Ale Wyeast 1187 - open ferment

You get stuck in a groove with yeast you're used to and have on hand (or in the freezer). I can't get a lot of these others locally, so it was easy not to try any British yeasts beside 002 or 007. So this will be a fun exercise.

When you read some of the info on the Ringwood, it says that open fermentation has been a common thing with it. We'll see. I'll end up bottle carbing all of these small batches.

Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 3.5
Total Grain (lb): 5.634
Total Hops (g): 22.40
Original Gravity (OG): 1.042 (°P): 10.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.85 %
Colour (SRM): 14.5 (EBC): 28.6
Bitterness (IBU): 21.2 (Rager)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
4.788 lb Golden Promise Malt (Simpsons) (85%)
0.451 lb Crystal - English Dark (8%)
0.169 lb Chocolate, Pale (English-Crisp) (3%)
0.113 lb Flaked Barley (2%)
0.113 lb Flaked Barley, Toasted (2%)

Hop Bill
----------------
22.4 g U.S. Goldings Pellet (4.5% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil) (6.4 g/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------
3.5 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
5.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 2 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 75 Minutes.

I'll order the Wyeast on Monday.

If you are going out of your way to get some wyeast products, definitely pick up wy1318 London 3. Its generally believed to be the boddingtons strain and works awesome in low gravity and dark beers. It is a great open fermenter and top crops beautifully.

In regards to the recipe, it reminded me of the hobbit mild John Palmer did on brewing tv http://brewingtv.com/recipe/2011/9/23/belladonna-tooks-oaked-mild-john-palmer-recipe-for-btv.html A friend of mine brewed this and split the batch, oaking half and adding coconut to the other half. The coconut half was the best fruit beer I'd ever tried - as a rule i hate all fruit beer but coconut worked really good in a low gravity brown vs a big and roasty porter or stout it always seems to be paired with.

Hmmm....you talked me into it... Ok I'll sub in the London 3 for the 002. I'm quite familiar with that 002 anyway. Or maybe I'll skip the open ferment this time. I'll figure it out.

That Palmer recipe looks tasty! Does he mean like Quaker Oats for the instant oatmeal?

He's doing just a 45 min hop too. I do that on all my beers that traditionally aren't hoppy. It gives you bitterness but residual hop flavor comes through.

Brewed a French Oak Farmhouse ale over the weekend - basically a dark saison I'm putting on French oak.

Malts: Pilsner, crystal 65, black malt
Hops: saaz, goldings
Coriander

Trying the Belgian ale yeast from mangrove jack - started up right away despite reading about the slow start.

Sg: 1.036

Will update once it's in tap

Lets see some pics when its done!

It looks like that Wyeast 1318 London 3 is the same strain as WLP002! I actually ended up ordering the Wyeast Cask Ale (seasonal release). It sounds great for a bitters, or maybe an american brown! I'll definitely be freezing a few slants of this.

YEAST STRAIN: 1026 PC | British Cask Ale 3QTR13

A great choice for any cask conditioned British Ale. Produces nice malt profile with a hint of fruit. Finishes dry and slightly tart.

Origin: Britain
Flocculation: Medium-High
Attenuation: 74-77%
Temperature Range: 63-72F, 17-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

It looks like that Wyeast 1318 London 3 is the same strain as WLP002! I actually ended up ordering the Wyeast Cask Ale (seasonal release). It sounds great for a bitters, or maybe an american brown! I'll definitely be freezing a few slants of this.

wlp002 is closer to wy1968 London ESB. This is list that is always cited when people talk about yeast origins and equivalents http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

This guy has written some great posts comparing English yeasts http://perfectpint.blogspot.ca/search/search/?q=Evaluating+Yeast

And this thread is incredible too https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

Brewlabs in the UK do slants of many UK yeasts if you want them, they have a regular selection of the usual suspects then you can send an email to them asking for a strain "similar to xxxxx brewery" and they'll culture up the correct yeast. It's £4.50 delivered in the uk, so it might be better value if you want to split the yeast in the US.

wlp002 is closer to wy1968 London ESB. This is list that is always cited when people talk about yeast origins and equivalents http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

This guy has written some great posts comparing English yeasts http://perfectpint.blogspot.ca/search/search/?q=Evaluating+Yeast

And this thread is incredible too https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/b...on-temps-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts-221817/

well, crap...I looked at the wrong list. More experimentation to do! Thanks a bunch for the links (including the Brewlabs tip, Hanglow).

The French farmhouse ale turned out really nice despite the yeast not having as much character s I would like.

It's got a nice ruby red color up to the light and the roast malt is not noticeable, maybe working well with the French oak. Getting some nice cherry/vanilla note from the oak. Great session beer but would like to brew it with Bella or DuPont yeast at 95 and see what that does for this one.
I'll have a photo up on on tumblr today. Brewing a summit/British pale smash today.

One plus I would give to the mangrove jacks Belgian yeast is it's floculation- it's only been in the keg for about 3 weeks at about 40 and it's crystal clear.

I fermented it at about 70 with not a ton of flavor.

I'm drinking a mild based off of this http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ca/2012/05/lets-brew-wednesday-1987-boddingtons_16.html I hit all the gravities, used TF MO, Baird's c75, Briess 6-row, EKG, wy1318 and then add 3oz of carafa sp 2 (as a caramel colourant sub) to darken it up a bit. Its pretty nice...my wife thinks its too watery but I think its decent for a 3% beer. Its definitely better once it warms up and the esters and the malt start to come through. Even better if I hard pour it to stir up a good head on it and top up once it falls. If I do this one again (which I probably will as its an awesome simple recipe), I'll cut back on the carafa as its definitely noticeable and dominates the flavour when the beer is cold. I'll also ferment a little warmer. This time was at 17C (63F?) and its a little too clean.

Looks like a great little beer gbx - I've got a stash of those recipes Ive been wanting to try out.

I just kegged a mild I brewed on October the 19th:

OG: 1.034
FG: 1.012
IBU: 19

4.5# Halcyon Malt
10oz Caramunich 60Lov
6oz Special B 118Lov
6oz Pale Chocolate 200Lov

28g EKG (5%) @ 45 mins

Fermented with WLP023 Burton Ale

Going into the keg it was excellent. Nice coffee, roasty flavor with some biscuity notes from the British pale malt. Not a whole ton of caramel sweetness from the Special B, but I like it so far. Only thing I didn't care for so far is a slight astringency. I attribute this to the low gravity and maybe a bit of over sparging.

I will post more tasting notes as it carbs up and I pull a few pints.

I haven't done that dark mild yeast test yet. Only because on brew day last week, I didn't have any Goldings hops. My big hop order from Yakima didn't come in in time and the LHBS didn't have any either. But kegs were empty and beer must be brewed! I brewed a Pale Mild using Challenger hops, which I like in my porters. Mild, resiny UK kick to it. Its a recipe that I put together based on some of those British recipes posted here that Hanglow gave the link to:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56335&hilit=+dark+mild+grainbill

Recipe:

Pale Mild
Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 2.5
Total Grain (lb): 3.123
Total Hops (g): 11.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.035 (°P): 8.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.21 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.6
Bitterness (IBU): 20.0 (Rager)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.343 lb Golden Promise Malt, Simpsons UK (75%)
0.312 lb 6-Row, American (10%)
0.312 lb Bairds Carastan (10%)
0.156 lb Torrified Wheat (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
11.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil) (4.4 g/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.5 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 14 Minutes (Boil)
5.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 2 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

It reminds me of Milds I've had in England, which are rarely dark and chocolaty. I'll post a pic soon.

-------

Shoreman, your French Farmhouse, that yeast I haven't used but I just had a Jester King Le Petite Prince.
It s a delightful 2.9% beer. I was expecting something very dry with just some Belgian yeast character. Not at all. It was small and light but it had a decent mouthfeel and residual sweetness. Brett flavor but not Brett dry, if you know what I mean. My first thoughts on the taste were that they were using a mixed culture of yeasts, including Saison, clean fermenting yeast, and Brett. After conversing with someone more knowledgeable than me, I learned that they blend old and young beer. This explains the sweetness and mouthfeel. Jester King's website says they use a French farmhouse yeast. Based on your post, I could see that yeast fitting into a mixed/blended batch like that.

Grain Bill
----------------
2.343 lb Golden Promise Malt, Simpsons UK (75%)
0.312 lb 6-Row, American (10%)
0.312 lb Bairds Carastan (10%)
0.156 lb Torrified Wheat (5%)
Why the 6 row addition?
Do you not think the GP had enough enzymes?

Why the 6 row addition?
Do you not think the GP had enough enzymes?

No, no concern at all for conversion. Its for the different malt character that 6-row gives you, rustic sweetness to it. That recipe is directly inspired by the laundry list of commercial mild recipes shown in that link in my last post.

RCCOLA, the recipe percentages only add up to 98? Odd rounding pr something? Looks yummy! The recipe is sorta like a baby Oktoberfest with funky hops!

RCCOLA, the recipe percentages only add up to 98? Odd rounding pr something? Looks yummy! The recipe is sorta like a baby Oktoberfest with funky hops!

When Hopville migrated to Brewtoad, it changed the recipes slightly. Some of my grain additions were 2ozs and it shows them as 1.92.

I based the recipe on info from here: http://patto1ro.home.xs4all.nl/czecintr.htm

As well as beer reviews on ratebeer for Polotmave since we can't get this style here. It's basically 1/2 of the recipe for U Fleku Cerne, with the assumption that it would be mixed with Svetly in the bar.

I've been geeking out on Czech Lager styles for awhile now. :eek:

The Pale Mild is quite enjoyable and is maturing nicely. It's a touch sharp, from the 6-row and there is a resiny sharpness to Challenger. But there is a real nice grainy, biscuity flavor too it and a lot of English character. If I brewed this again, I'd add a late addition of Goldings and Fuggles and call it an Ordinary Bitters! As a mild, it'd be better if the 6-row was cut in half, add a pinch of English Medium crystal (~2%), and use Goldings instead of Challenger.

Here's my new favorite light beer:

Excellent light brewed 10/08
American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 9/22/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal Brewer: Steve
Boil Size: 14.44 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My 10 gal. All Grain, setup
End of Boil Volume 11.44 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal Est Mash Efficiency 79.2 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes: Darker Light.
Kinda hoppy.
Easy drinker.
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 57.1 %
2 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.3 %
2 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.3 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90l (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 14.3 %
2.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 21.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 5.3 IBUs
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
3.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.035 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.022 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.004 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 2.3 %
Bitterness: 26.4 IBUs Calories: 69.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 9.2 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs
Sparge Water: 11.75 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 21.50 qt of water at 163.5 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 11.75 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI Carbonation Used: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

This is one worth doing over and over.
Created with BeerSmith

BeerSmith calculates the ABV @ 2.3%. But I doubt anyone could tell by taste alone.

I'll be trying to stockpile some of this for those all day outside, days. I wish I had more in the pipeline now.

pb

I really like to have a session hoppy beer on tap. I also like to do single hop beers with this basic recipe

3.3%abv

5lb 2row
.5lb crystal 20L

60min hop addition of 40-50IBU
0min hop bursting of 2-5oz of hops and do a hop stand for 20-40min.
dry hop 1-3oz for 5days

the IBU will go up with the hop stand but its hard to calculate.

OG of1.030
FG (depends of yeast you use)

I really like to use wlp051. It doesn't attenuate as low as wlp001/1056 and leave a nice ester profile that works well for low ABV beers.
I guess you could call this a pale ale or a extra pale ale. my favorte hops to use so far is citra or nelson sauvin. both work really good for single hop beers.

On a whim, I brewed a simplified variation of the 1804 table beer from the Barclay Perkins site. I did it cuz the recipe was so simple, I had to do it.

3 gallon batch
OG 1.035

2 lbs Golden Promise
1 lb amber malt
1 lb brown malt

15 IBUs of Glacier at 45 min (10g)

90 min boil.

It was real fun walking into the LHBS, grabbing four 1 lb bags, knowing I wasn't going to have to measure any of it. Soooo simple.

I used the carmelizaton of some of the first running to get some extra sweetness out of this recipe. I was afraid of astringency. I pulled 1/2 gallon of the first running and boiled the snot out of it until it was reduced to half volume. It worked great. The beer is a treat. The caramelizaton gave me a little molasses flavor too. I knew Glacier would pair great and it does. Great beer.

I'll get a pic up.

I've been thinking about that one. I've got a lot of session to low-average strength beers right now, but nothing that quite fits in the criteria of this thread.

Post them up! This thread has morphed from the sub-1.030 title.

Here's the table beer. Carbed to 2.1-2.2 volumes:

barclayperkinstablebber-62217.jpg

My next brewday will be this:

6 gallon batch, 80% efficiency

OG: 1.034
FG: 1.009
20 IBU

5.25# Maris Otter
1# Golden Naked Oats
.6# Extra Dark English Crystal
.15# Midnight Wheat

1.2oz of Saaz (3.2%) @ 45mins
1.2oz of Saaz (3.2%) @ 20mins

Fermented with WLP007 Dry English Ale

Looking for a ruby red mild of sorts with a touch more late hop character from the spicy Saaz hops. Sort of a cross between mild, oat stout, and amber ale. Should make for a tasty pint.

My next brewday will be this:

Looking for a ruby red mild of sorts with a touch more late hop character from the spicy Saaz hops. Sort of a cross between mild, oat stout, and amber ale. Should make for a tasty pint.
I actually have some midnight wheat on hand. Would love to know how this turns out.

I'll be rebrewing my house beers next month. An Ordinary Bitter and a Mild, both about 1.032. I'm starting a sour mash this evening for a Berliner Weisse as 1.028.

How are you souring it?

I'm going to mash in fairly low for a full conversion rest, then use my immersion chiller, drop it down to 110, drop the pH to 4.5 w/ lactic acid to inhibit nasties but allow lacto to work, and then toss in half pound or so of crushed base malt, saran wrap it, and let er rip. I figure I'll taste it a few times a day, add boiling water infusions as necessary to keep the temp 110-ish. Give it as long as it needs to sour to where I want it, sparge, boil to kill the bugs, and pitch sacch to mop up.

I haven't done it with grain yet; just WLP lacto. It sure soured fast with it. I should try the grain trick some time. I'm not a fan of maintain live cultures with periodic feeding.

Brewed a session IPA on Sunday. So excited for this one. All late addition hopping makes this one aromatic mfer!

Occupied Territory iPA - MF

Style: American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain
Calories: 124
Boil Size: 6.50 Gal
IBU's: 33.15
Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Color: 5.4 SRM
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Preboil OG: 1.035
OG: 1.038
FG: 1.010
ABV: 3.67 %
Efficiency:75 %

Grains & Adjuncts
AmountPercentageNameTimeGravity
6.00 lbs 70.59 %Vienna Mal
1.25 lbs 14.71 %Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.50 lbs 5.88 %Oats, Flaked
0.50 lbs 5.88 %Caravienne Malt
0.25 lbs 2.94 %Acid Malt

Hops
AmountIBU'sNameTimeAA %
0.50 ozs 11.60Simcoe15 mins13.00
0.25 ozs 6.25Columbus (Tomahawk)15 mins14.00
0.75 ozs 8.31Amarillo Gold10 mins 8.50
0.75 ozs 6.99Simcoe5 mins13.00
1.00 ozs 0.00Simcoe0 mins13.00
1.00 ozs 0.00Columbus (Tomahawk)0 mins14.00
1.00 ozs 0.00Amarillo Gold0 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs 0.00Simcoe0 mins13.00
0.50 ozs 0.00Columbus (Tomahawk)0 mins14.00
0.50 ozs 0.00Amarillo Gold0 mins 8.50
1.25 ozsSimcoe21 days13.00
1.25 ozsColumbus (Tomahawk)21 days14.00
1.25 ozsAmarillo Gold21 days 8.50

Yeasts
AmountNameLaboratory / ID
1.00 pkgBurton IPA Wyeast Labs 1203

Additions
AmountNameTimeStage
1.00 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil
2.00 tsp Calcium Chloride 15 mins Mash
2.00 tsp Gypsum 15 mins Mash

Mash Profile
Full Body Infusion45 min @ 158.0°F

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed a session IPA on Sunday. So excited for this one. All late addition hopping makes this one aromatic mfer!

Occupied Territory iPA - MF

Style: American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain
Calories: 124
Boil Size: 6.50 Gal
IBU's: 33.15
Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Color: 5.4 SRM
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Preboil OG: 1.035
OG: 1.038
FG: 1.010
ABV: 3.67 %
Efficiency:75 %

Grains & Adjuncts
AmountPercentageNameTimeGravity
6.00 lbs 70.59 %Vienna Mal
1.25 lbs 14.71 %Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.50 lbs 5.88 %Oats, Flaked
0.50 lbs 5.88 %Caravienne Malt
0.25 lbs 2.94 %Acid Malt

Hops
AmountIBU'sNameTimeAA %
0.50 ozs 11.60Simcoe15 mins13.00
0.25 ozs 6.25Columbus (Tomahawk)15 mins14.00
0.75 ozs 8.31Amarillo Gold10 mins 8.50
0.75 ozs 6.99Simcoe5 mins13.00
1.00 ozs 0.00Simcoe0 mins13.00
1.00 ozs 0.00Columbus (Tomahawk)0 mins14.00
1.00 ozs 0.00Amarillo Gold0 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs 0.00Simcoe0 mins13.00
0.50 ozs 0.00Columbus (Tomahawk)0 mins14.00
0.50 ozs 0.00Amarillo Gold0 mins 8.50
1.25 ozsSimcoe21 days13.00
1.25 ozsColumbus (Tomahawk)21 days14.00
1.25 ozsAmarillo Gold21 days 8.50

Yeasts
AmountNameLaboratory / ID
1.00 pkgBurton IPA Wyeast Labs 1203

Additions
AmountNameTimeStage
1.00 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil
2.00 tsp Calcium Chloride 15 mins Mash
2.00 tsp Gypsum 15 mins Mash

Mash Profile
Full Body Infusion45 min @ 158.0°F

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow, that seems like it is going to be a hoppy monster! Loads of hops in there! Let us know how it comes out, I would love to make something similar with all late additions.

Back