Sub 1.030 beers

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
Over the past few years I've rarely brewed anything over 4% and most brews are around 3%.

I've recently been very interested in the blog 'shut up about Barkley Perkins' and the milds and bitters they post under 1.030 sg

Anybody brewed them? Or have sub 1.030 recipes they enjoy?

* FYI not looking to debate session ales

I'm thinking about setting up a blog on sub 1.030 homebrew ales and posting recipes/experiments - would anyone here be interested in that info?
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
Here's one I brew often:

5 gallons saison

4lbs pilsner
1lb wheat
.5lb sugar

Tettnanger 1oz 60
Tettnanger 1oz 30
Tettnanger 1oz 0

Wyeast French saison or Orval yeast
 

mewithstewpid

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
1,075
Reaction score
210
Location
Rocky Hill
Notch brewing made a session coffee milk stout that was unreal. 10 months later I'm still talking about it they brewed it for the craft beer fest in Boston.

So that's my recc sessions stouts
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
mewithstewpid said:
Notch brewing made a session coffee milk stout that was unreal. 10 months later I'm still talking about it they brewed it for the craft beer fest in Boston.

So that's my recc sessions stouts
Sounds tasty do you know the abv on it?
 

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Messages
613
Reaction score
63
Location
Rochester
The guys at Basic Brewing posted a couple - one recently starts at 1.024. I was wondering the same whether anyone else brews them. I love the idea of a tasty low alcohol (and calorie) brew - but would hate to waste my precious brewing time.

Thanks for bringing this up!
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
FlyDoctor said:
The guys at Basic Brewing posted a couple - one recently starts at 1.024. I was wondering the same whether anyone else brews them. I love the idea of a tasty low alcohol (and calorie) brew - but would hate to waste my precious brewing time.

Thanks for bringing this up!
Cool ill check that out - Brewdog has also put out a few beers one at 1% called Nanny State I believe.

As for the waste - I brew all grain partial boil batch sprarge - brew day is rarely over 3 hours and you end up with same quantity, win-win.

I've brewed milds, bitters,saisons & small IPAs in this range - even messed around with wine yeasts in one beer
 

Xpertskir

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
2,222
Reaction score
463
Location
Morgantown
Cool ill check that out - Brewdog has also put out a few beers one at 1% called Nanny State I believe.

As for the waste - I brew all grain partial boil batch sprarge - brew day is rarely over 3 hours and you end up with same quantity, win-win.

I've brewed milds, bitters,saisons & small IPAs in this range - even messed around with wine yeasts in one beer
Brewdog made nanny state the lowest alcohol beer in the world as a FU to the brittosh government for beating them up about their series of highest alcohol in the world beers.

A low gravity/calorie beer with explosive hop flavor is on my list, as soon as I get moved I'm going to start tinkering.
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
Xpertskir said:
Brewdog made nanny state the lowest alcohol beer in the world as a FU to the brittosh government for beating them up about their series of highest alcohol in the world beers.

A low gravity/calorie beer with explosive hop flavor is on my list, as soon as I get moved I'm going to start tinkering.
Nice - I didn't realize that :)
 

jerrodm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2012
Messages
636
Reaction score
124
Location
Silver Spring
Love this idea. If anyone has a great session dark mild recipe in this range I'd love to see it.
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
jerrodm said:
Love this idea. If anyone has a great session dark mild recipe in this range I'd love to see it.
I have a rye mild that is in that range - let me dig the recipe up and ill post it
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
Here's the rye mild recipe:

5 gallons

4lbs 2row
1lb crystal 60
1lb rye malt
.25 lb carapils
.15lb chocolate malt

.5oz pacific gem

Any British ale yeast

Great little session beers
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
mewithstewpid said:
here is the notch website:

http://www.notchbrewing.com/

and here are the beers:

http://www.notchbrewing.com/beer/

CASK SERIES #4: COFFEE MILK STOUT

STYLE: COFFEE MILK STOUT
ABV: 3.7%
MALT: BRITISH PALE, CRYSTAL, BLACK, CHOCOLATE, OATS
OTHER: LACTOSE, COFFEE
HOPS: WGV
YEAST: YORKSHIRE ALE
PKG: CASK
Cool I've seen those around but haven't tried one yet but will
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
Nugent said:
I have a rye red ale with an OG of 1.036 in my recipes section.

More or less my house ale. Have made it a dozen times and is consistently tasty. I like it.

:mug:
Cool ill check that one out.

I may move the bar up to 1.036 that might be a better ceiling than 1.030
 

Hanglow

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2012
Messages
1,002
Reaction score
800
Location
Glasgow
There's quite a lot of UK beers around the 2.8% mark as there is a relatively new (about a year or two) lower tax bracket for beers of that strength and under. Adnam's Sole Star is good although the others I've tried aren't up to much

I've never brewed one that low though
 

ktblunden

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2011
Messages
1,940
Reaction score
318
Location
Lancaster
This one is in my to-do list. Always wanted to try doing a table beer for something light and refreshing but still packing some flavor.
 

tagz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
2,034
Reaction score
282
I have a rye red ale with an OG of 1.036 in my recipes section.

More or less my house ale. Have made it a dozen times and is consistently tasty. I like it.

:mug:
This looks nice. Might have to give it a go at some point. What temp do you mash at? Do you get enough sweetness with only 3% crystal or is it pretty dry?
 

jerrodm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2012
Messages
636
Reaction score
124
Location
Silver Spring
Here's the rye mild recipe:

5 gallons

4lbs 2row
1lb crystal 60
1lb rye malt
.25 lb carapils
.15lb chocolate malt

.5oz pacific gem

Any British ale yeast

Great little session beers
Awesome, think I'll give this a try sometime. Thanks for the recipe!
 

matteroftaste

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
107
Reaction score
17
Location
London
i love doing beers like these, there is nothing better after a hard days work when you need to get up the next day! +1 on the extra crystal malt, i go potty with lots of late hops too!
something i often do is brew a 5g beer at 1060+ then dilute by half, then hop and ferment each half differently. great for kegging!
 

tagz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
2,034
Reaction score
282
Was thinking about putting together a pale mild recipe. Here's what I'm thinking...

79% Vienna
10% Crystal 20
8% Flaked Barley
3% Aromatic

Warrior at 60
.25 Columbus at 5
.25 Amarillo at 5
.50 Columbus at flameout
.50 Amarillo at flameout

OG 1.038
IBU 22

Wyeast 1968

Thoughts?
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
tagz said:
Was thinking about putting together a pale mild recipe. Here's what I'm thinking...

79% Vienna
10% Crystal 20
8% Flaked Barley
3% Aromatic

Warrior at 60
.25 Columbus at 5
.25 Amarillo at 5
.50 Columbus at flameout
.50 Amarillo at flameout

OG 1.038
IBU 22

Wyeast 1968

Thoughts?
I think the malt bill looks really cool but milds are generally super low in hop bitterness and aroma - more malt forward-I like EKG & Fuggles or any noble low aa hop

I'd like to see the results of this one either way
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
Although in going to use the new Belma hops in a mild coming up soon
 

matteroftaste

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
107
Reaction score
17
Location
London
i brew super hoppy low gravity ales, as long as you keep the crystal to at least 10% it totally works. great session beers, most of my mates cant tell its a low alc beer.
 

captainkirk83

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2011
Messages
136
Reaction score
9
Location
Jackson
It's nor real beer if its under 3%. Beer guidelines dictate.........

Kidding. I'm saving the recipe for future use. Would love a low alc summer beer with some taste.
 

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Messages
613
Reaction score
63
Location
Rochester
matteroftaste said:
i brew super hoppy low gravity ales, as long as you keep the crystal to at least 10% it totally works. great session beers, most of my mates cant tell its a low alc beer.
Do you have any exams recipes? Sounds great
 

matteroftaste

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
107
Reaction score
17
Location
London
Do you have any exams recipes? Sounds great
sure

fugg you pale ale

2kg maris otter
250g british crystal 65

2oz fuggles FWH
2oz fuggles at flame out,

steep for 45 mins then run off and cool ect,

ferment at 20c with something nice like the fullers strain

keg or bottle at 1.5 vol Co2

drink fresh

at 22l (uk5gal)

this usually comes out about 2.8 abv
 

MVKTR2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
1,404
Reaction score
134
Location
Columbia
I love these threads and God bless you guys for understanding that bigger isn't always better/one size doesn't fit all. Not knocking 'big' or even average beers, just enjoy seeing others whom enjoy 3% as much as 10%.

Best low abv I ever did was a fresh hop low alc ipa.
 

TyTanium

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2011
Messages
3,952
Reaction score
567
I like this thread, thanks for the great recipes! I've enjoyed some in the mid-upper 30's range, gives a bit more room to work with.

My most recent is this dark session IPA. I'm really pleased with how it turned out:
5 lbs Pale Ale
1 lb Munich
0.5 lb Victory
0.25 C120
0.25 Midnight Wheat, cold-steeped

Columbus @ 60
Citra @ 10
Citra/Amarillo @ 0
Citra/Amarillo/Columbus @ DH
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
Here's my next one - probably brew in 2 weeks. I've got the san fran lager strain on hand and my basement is super cold right now so I'm going to try it out in this micro IPA, I think it will do well with the fuggles:

Fuggles Micro IPA

Crisp Maris Otter 3 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 15L 1 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat 0 lbs, 6 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 120 0 lbs, 5 oz

Fuggles Whole 1 oz @ 60 mins
Fuggles Whole 1 oz @ 40 mins
Fuggles Whole 1 oz @ 20 mins
Fuggles Whole 1 oz @ 10 mins

Fuggles Whole Dry hop in the keg
 

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Messages
613
Reaction score
63
Location
Rochester
shoreman said:
Here's my next one - probably brew in 2 weeks. I've got the san fran lager strain on hand and my basement is super cold right now so I'm going to try it out in this micro IPA, I think it will do well with the fuggles:

Fuggles Micro IPA

Crisp Maris Otter 3 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 15L 1 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat 0 lbs, 6 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 120 0 lbs, 5 oz

Fuggles Whole 1 oz @ 60 mins
Fuggles Whole 1 oz @ 40 mins
Fuggles Whole 1 oz @ 20 mins
Fuggles Whole 1 oz @ 10 mins

Fuggles Whole Dry hop in the keg
This looks great as well. Do you a projected gravity?

This thread is gold.
 

eyebrau

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
159
Reaction score
12
I do a SMaSH ordinary bitter that I like. 6 lbs. Maris Otter, boil an hour before the first hop addition (for color), 1 oz Kent Goldings @ 60min, 1/2 oz. @ 10 min, 1/2 oz. at flame out. Comes out around 3.4%. Simple, tasty, and super cheap.
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
FlyDoctor said:
This looks great as well. Do you a projected gravity?

This thread is gold.
Sg of 1.028 hopefully - one thing I've found is that you really have to nail your projections b/c If you loose .006 or so it becomes a different beer you know?
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
eyebrau said:
I do a SMaSH ordinary bitter that I like. 6 lbs. Maris Otter, boil an hour before the first hop addition (for color), 1 oz Kent Goldings @ 60min, 1/2 oz. @ 10 min, 1/2 oz. at flame out. Comes out around 3.4%. Simple, tasty, and super cheap.
Sounds super tasty! Live EKG
 

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Messages
613
Reaction score
63
Location
Rochester
Sg of 1.028 hopefully - one thing I've found is that you really have to nail your projections b/c If you loose .006 or so it becomes a different beer you know?
Yeah - .006 on a 1.060 beer makes no difference, but when .006 makes up 20% of your fermentables, you need to be spot on!
 
OP
shoreman

shoreman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
221
A beer I'm working on now that I've seen alot in my Belgian Beers book is an apple ale - looks like pilsner malt then secondary on apple juice - sometimes spice is added and they are around 3%- sounds like an awesome summer quencher.

Anyone brewed anything like it?
 
Top