Wow! MoreBeer Viking Pale Malt $25 55lb sack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping for me (Baltimore area, Maryland) is $12.50 a sack, any sack for that matter. That's darn good price for shipping whole sacks already. Fedex ground is the only option.

With this deal, it puts sacks of this malt on my doorstep for $37.50 each!

That's even better than a sack of Rahr 2-row or pale malt at our group buy, which needs to be picked up, alas together with other sacks and stuff of course.

I don't know about Viking Malts, but this could be a legitimate deal for many homebrewers.

Use code PALESALE.

Important note. Shipping is not free on this item. For me, by the time shipping is added, I'm only saving approximately $5.00 off the regular price.
Mind you, you'll need to add shipping to the regular price sack too, whole sacks do not ship for free.

Apples to apples, malt to malt.

Mind you, you'll need to add shipping to the regular price sack too, whole sacks do not ship for free.

Apples to apples, malt to malt.

But you can buy 10 pound bags for $8 with free shipping. Or just wait for their semi-routine 10% off sale and get them for $7.20.

At $0.80/lb, it would be $44 for 55 pounds in 10 pound increments (although obviously you'd need to buy 50 or 60 pounds - not 55 on the nose). There's the added benefit of not having to store a sack, and just being able to store 10 pound sealed bags.

If shipping isn't bad, this is a very good deal (if you like this malt). For me, it would be about $42 with shipping so I'd be better off just waiting for a deal on the 10 pound bag and buying at that point.

But I had mixed results with this, so I'll just stick with Briess or Great Western.

I bought 5 of the 10lb bags a few weeks back when it was on sale but I haven't brewed with it yet. I would like to know how it stacks up against the continental maltsters like bestmalz and avangard before I jump on this awesome deal. I'd like to stock up just don't want to do it with "meh" malt. I'd also like to hang the empty sack on the wall in my garage, didn't get that with the 10lb bags...

I love morebeer but i wonder if they just didnt move this viking malt and this is a blow-out before it expires sale?

(Edit: i seem to recall they made a big deal adding Viking about a year ago or so)

I have read (on the morebeer website under reviews) that generally this malt yields 5-8% less efficency. Not a huge deal if you just up the grain bill and at this price why not?

Just ordered one. $44.04 shipped. First time buying from them. How is the packaging of the sacks? We’ve been having a lot of rain here lately, and my fedex guy is slightly, well, let’s say special. He likes to deliver to my back porch (corner lot) and not my front covered porch.

And like @deadwolfbones, I need to get a mil. For now I can use a friend’s mill.

Last edited:
I love morebeer but i wonder if they just didnt move this viking malt and this is a blow-out before it expires sale?

(Edit: i seem to recall they made a big deal adding Viking about a year ago or so)

I have read (on the morebeer website under reviews) that generally this malt yields 5-8% less efficency. Not a huge deal if you just up the grain bill and at this price why not?
Efficiency isn't lower, but they are bigger, so you need to adjust mill.

They are WAY darker though. I bet that is why they are replacing them with the xtra pale.

I have made 4 beers so far with them, and I like them a lot (I have only made Belgian styles).

Just beware the color is much darker than advertised.

I usually throw some Vienna in, but I removed it from recipes using the pale.

Left to right: Great Western 2 row, Viking Pils, Viking Pale
20190517_170337.jpeg

I’ve read multiple threads where people are saying it’s darker, but is it actually darker than a typical pale malt? Because pale is supposed to be a bit darker than 2 row. I’ll be brewing my first batch with it this weekend.

I notice they both say 2 row pale.

I’ve read multiple threads where people are saying it’s darker, but is it actually darker than a typical pale malt? Because pale is supposed to be a bit darker than 2 row. I’ll be brewing my first batch with it this weekend.

I see pale malt and 2-row used interchangeably. In beersmith, there is no option for either or, it is Pale Malt (2 Row), not to be confused with pale ale malt, which IS darker.

Hmmm. I was confusing the two. I bought this malt thinking it was a pale ale malt. Hope that doesn’t change the recipe too much lol.

My understanding is that Pale means different things. If it says 2 row it is 2 row pale and it is probably lighter. 2 row pale the same.

If it just says pale malt it is probably darker.

If it is pale malt from Europe it is darkest of those three. All of them are 2 row.

Feel free to correct me if I missed something.

Viking Pale is just now starting to come to US market, and they probably aren't up on our marketing lingo.

That said every malt I have received from them seems darker than I expected including the wheat malt.

OK, so I pulled down Viking pale, Vienna, Munich light, Munich dark. I can't tell the difference between any of them.

I really don't know if they will look that way in the beer. Not saying that.

20190614_170244.jpeg

I see pale malt and 2-row used interchangeably. In beersmith, there is no option for either or, it is Pale Malt (2 Row), not to be confused with pale ale malt, which IS darker.
Believe a similar question was asked and answered recently in BYO. I'll look for the issue and post their reply unless someone beats me to it.

Left to right: Great Western 2 row, Viking Pils, Viking PaleView attachment 631144

Nice pic. You can tell the grain size is somewhat larger for the Viking Malt. Now, I hear people saying to adjust the mill, but shouldn't the mill output the same size crush with the same gap? Same gap=same crush, I would think.

Also, this appears to be GW Pale Malt (ASBC 3 per their specs) and Viking Pale Malt (ASBC 3.5 per their specs). Briess's Pale is 3.5. So it is documented as being somewhat darker than the GW it is shown beside, which might explain it looking darker, but keep in mind the ASBC is for the color of the WORT not the color of the GRAIN, so it would be more apt to compare the color of the resulting wort than the grain.

Nice pic. You can tell the grain size is somewhat larger for the Viking Malt. Now, I hear people saying to adjust the mill, but shouldn't the mill output the same size crush with the same gap? Same gap=same crush, I would think.

Also, this appears to be GW Pale Malt (ASBC 3 per their specs) and Viking Pale Malt (ASBC 3.5 per their specs). Briess's Pale is 3.5. So it is documented as being somewhat darker than the GW it is shown beside, which might explain it looking darker, but keep in mind the ASBC is for the color of the WORT not the color of the GRAIN, so it would be more apt to compare the color of the resulting wort than the grain.
I had to widen my gap because it wouldn't feed at all with the gap I was using typically. Ir more to the point it would spin, but grain wouldn't move. It really is mill dependent.

I bet the shape of the grain through the mill will change the final crush as well, but I have no idea how. The viking malts are rounder. I hit my numbers for the 5th time on viking malts with my most recent beer.

As to the SRM, I ended the last post by saying I couldn't say how it worked in a final beer on the pale malt from viking, which I can't.

What I can say is that their Pilsner malt is noticeably darker than weyermann's because I have made the same recipe with both.

*shrug. I like their malt and the price is great. I plan to continue to use it for most things unless I need Maris Otter or a really light Pilsner malt.

I haven't used any of the Viking malts yet myself, but I would not hesitate to purchase them and will soon despite a few negative comments that were almost certainly due to not properly dealing with the oversized grain issue or something else. One thing about European agricultural products, though, the weather on the continent is not as consistent as it is in North America and there could be some minor variation year to year in the end product as a result.

I haven't used any of the Viking malts yet myself, but I would not hesitate to purchase them and will soon despite a few negative comments that were almost certainly due to not properly dealing with the oversized grain issue or something else. One thing about European agricultural products, though, the weather on the continent is not as consistent as it is in North America and there could be some minor variation year to year in the end product as a result.
On that point, is there a way to figure out where malts are grown with any maltster (with the exception of craft maltsers)?

Seems like there would be some difference if you are pulling from 500 miles separation between farms that are both supplying the big malt houses.

Or does it even matter?

Interesting stuff on barley here:

http://about.briess.com/barley-program/

Keep in mind Briess and such are maltsters, they don't grow the stuff, they purchase from a number of farms in the region, probably same ones that supply the other North American producers. I remember reading about what variety is the favorite at the moment (favorable as to amount of water used, yield per acre, resistance to disease, etc) and this would be pretty much what all the growers are growing and supplying to the different maltsters. The European varieties would be completely different strains due to their own peculiar climate, soil, diseases, etc. I used to work for the Agricultural Research Service, you would be fascinated (or frightened) by all the research going on performed by the Government on behalf and for the benefit of farmers. Where I worked there was research going on to develop featherless chickens, think of the labor saved in not having to remove feathers. The scientists would post information boards outside their labs, and let me tell you, those featherless chickens did not look happy.

Does not growing the malt allow a large producer to homogonize the different types? Or does it just get roasted as it comes off the rail car?
Maybe that could lead to more consistency? Or less?

Interesting stuff on barley here:

http://about.briess.com/barley-program/

Keep in mind Briess and such are maltsters, they don't grow the stuff, they purchase from a number of farms in the region, probably same ones that supply the other North American producers. I remember reading about what variety is the favorite at the moment (favorable as to amount of water used, yield per acre, resistance to disease, etc) and this would be pretty much what all the growers are growing and supplying to the different maltsters. The European varieties would be completely different strains due to their own peculiar climate, soil, diseases, etc. I used to work for the Agricultural Research Service, you would be fascinated (or frightened) by all the research going on performed by the Government on behalf and for the benefit of farmers. Where I worked there was research going on to develop featherless chickens, think of the labor saved in not having to remove feathers. The scientists would post information boards outside their labs, and let me tell you, those featherless chickens did not look happy.
Did anybody else go down a rabbit hole on the Briesss website? Lol. To think of all that goes into just the malt. What a time to be alive!

No question, everything is more complicated than you can imagine. I just toured the Asheville Sierra Nevada facility a few months ago, an absolute temple to the craft brewing Gods, there is nothing else like it. On the tour we stopped at where the grain comes into the building. So I smartly state, "Oh, the grain is dumped onto a conveyor and is dropped into these containers." Nope, it is blown out of the trucks with compressed air. And all their malted grain is Canadian and you would think Sierra Nevada would grow and malt their own for purposes of quality control, but not the case. Did I just hear a tariff slapped on Canadian malt, LOL!

I think a lot of the grain we use is Canadian. Probably because of corn subsidies. Farmers in the midwest frequently sell corn for less than it costs to produce it.

I'm a grain farmer. Cluelessness in this thread much there is. :rolleyes:

Here is a pretty good primer on malting barley from the American Malting Barley Association.

At the end of the linked article, note the map which shows the states which grow most of the malting barley. Those aren't corn growing states. Corn subsidies? What the actual F? A lot malt barley is produced in southern Canada, right across the fence from the northern US barley producing states. The highest quality malt varieties tend to be produced in areas with a cooler, drier growing season, as opposed to the warmer, wetter conditions typical of the Corn Belt.

Some maltsters contract with growers to produce barley for that particular maltster. Some growers produce malting barley to sell into the open market, to any of a number of grain merchandising companies, which buy from producers and sell to exporters or domestic end users. The BMC brewers contract with growers to produce specific, often proprietary, varieties for the exclusive use of that company (here in Montana both MillerCoors and AB/InBev source much of their barley from growers along the east slopes of the Rocky Mountains, a region particularly well suited to malt production).

Malting barley is truly a specialty crop in comparison to the more widely grown crops such as corn, soybeans, or wheat. It's a more risky crop to grow because the quality standards are quite high and are affected by conditions beyond the grower's control. One rain shower just before harvest can create water stains on the kernels. If the grain is no longer pale, and was contracted for sale as pale, 2-row barley, the crop won't be accepted by the maltster. This results in grain which is suitable for livestock feed, but the price of feed barley is, currently, about half the price of malting barley, which isn't high enough to persuade me, and a lot of other producers, to grow it in the first place.

For some perspective-base malts can be bought, in bulk, from most of the usual online suspects for around $0.80/lb. The current price of malt barley, in Northern Montana, is about $0.08/lb. That’s a 10X markup from the farmer to the retailer. Of course, there's a lot of transportation costs at both end of the chain plus processing and packaging and two, or three, or four intermediaries (merchandiser, maltster, distributor and retailer) between the farmer and the brewhouse.

WRT the joys of growing malt, here’s another interesting factoid. Last year, AB/InBev cut the number of acres contracted in Montana by 25%. This year, the company is promoting the rice its beer. Coincidence? Yeah, must be.

Broken link

It appears that content on the AMBA website is copy protected (unless, perhaps, one is a member or a Google bot). I can’t even copy the link to their homepage. When I hotlink something I usually check the link in the preview; I didn’t this time. My bad.

If you do a Google search for “malting barley varieties ” the fourth article down, entitled “Know Your Malting Barley Varieties” is the one I linked.

Back