So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a Dunkelweizen and used the Munich Classic yeast. First time uśing hallertau mittelfrau for any beer and I really like the taste and aroma from the raw wort. I was a half pound short on the caramel 20 but would rather be short then add in another grain. Watched it boil while drinking my hornindal blonde.

Brewed an “extra” Export Helles (due to a little grain weighing error).
Crystal clear wort heading to the fermenter.
IMG_3960.jpg

Do you squeeze the bottles before capping? As was mentioned, it looks like a little too much head space there.
Usually I don't have that much head space. This time I was planning to over-carbonate to volume of 4.5 so I thought to keep more head room. Thanks for the advise

Finally managed to get myself together and brew. I made an oktoberfest style beer with what I had on hand. What do you all think?
11 lbs 2 row
7.8 oz vienna
7.4 oz aromatic
7.2 oz crystal 10
2 oz carafa special 2

1.056 OG and bittered to around 27 IBUs with loral hops and I threw 3.2 oz of some German 2% aa hops in the WP. All I had on hand was some washed wlp0029- German kolsh yeast which i made a stater for.

The SRM is 9 so it pretty much hits the style without any of the traditional ingredients. On paper anyway it does. Just glad to get something brewed again. Cheers!

CavPilot how did you get the wort so clear going into the fermenter or is it done and the fermenter your stomach?

That sample was pulled mid-stream from the brew kettle into the fermenter.
Several key steps:
1: sending as clear a wort as possible to the BK in the first place, which means some form of recirculation/Vorlauf through the grain bed. I use a pump to draw from the MT outlet and recirculate via a SS Brewtwch recirculation manifold. I put an inline sight glass to tell when it’s Running clear before diverting to the BK. See pics below.
2: kettle finings. After giving up on Irish moss after many years, I am back to using it after discovering the secret is rehydrating it the night before. Rehydrated Irish moss is the bomb. Tossing it in the kettle dry is damn near useless. Sometimes I add some whirlfloc too if I didn’t rehydrate until morning of brew day.
3: Rapid chilling when the boil is done. This facilitates cold break. I’m usually at Ale pitch temps in 20 minutes or less, Lager temps in 30-40.
4: after chilling to pitch temps, let it rest for 30-60 minutes for the break material to settle out.
5: draw gently from above the settled break material.

Going to brew this weekend, looking at doing my classic imperial stout recipe; been a couple years.

I was planning brewing dunkles weissbier but, living in Florida, I think Dorian has other plans for me.

Planning an ambitious Labor Day here. Have just enough base grain, with a tiny bit of homedone crystal, to do a Pale on Saturday and another batch of the House WF Lager on Monday. Sunday will be given over to my other passion; working on cars. Rotors on the husband's car can use a change, first batch sent out from AllMyMoneyzGone last week were the wrong rear ones for his vehicle; replacements arrived today, so that's on the agenda for Sunday. Now if I can just keep him out of the garage while I'm replacing them...

A crushable west coast dipa with simcoe, centennial, and amarillo. Went with a hop shot for bittering and just Simpson’s golden promise and cane sugar for fermentables. US05, brew day vitality shaken-only starter.
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_7815.JPG

Each Homebrew Con attendee received these little packets of dried kveik from Escarpment Labs. According to them, it consists of a blend of Voss, Hornindal Kveik Blend, Ebbegarden, and Arset Kveik Blend. Today I brewed a sort of Bells Two Hearted recipe by Gordon Strong and used a packet of the kveik. I wonder if there will be bubbling when I wake up in the morning. [emoji848]
20190826_174525.jpeg

Brewing 12+ gallons of an English Strong Ale (8% SRM 10). Splitting into three batches using WLP006, WLP022 and WLP025.

I’m brewing an IPA tomorrow (Monday). Going to use CTZ, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo hops. Why? Never tried this hop combo and I have just enough hops of ea to finish off each pack. Flavor outcome to be determined. [emoji482]

For Labor Day I'm going to brew a simple American wheat with Omega Voss Kveik. I'm excited to see what this yeast can do!

Each Homebrew Con attendee received these little packets of dried kveik from Escarpment Labs. According to them, it consists of a blend of Voss, Hornindal Kveik Blend, Ebbegarden, and Arset Kveik Blend. Today I brewed a sort of Bells Two Hearted recipe by Gordon Strong and used a packet of the kveik. I wonder if there will be bubbling when I wake up in the morning. [emoji848]View attachment 642362
I was wondering what strains these are. Got mine from a guy that was passing them out at the knockout party.

I am currently 30 minutes into a 60 minute mash. Making a Northern German Altbier! Football games on later this afternoon, grandkids coming over, Happy Sunday everyone!

John

Just added the sparge to a little something I'm calling Clean the Freezer. Not enough of any one hop (except Chinook and Legacy, and some REALLY old Cascade leaf) to do a Smash, so going to bitter with Cascade and do late additions of Legacy, with a massive whirlpool addition of leftover Mosaic, Crystal, chinook, and a bit of Centennial to see what I get. First time using Light Munich in the mash, only difference I can tell so far is the mash doesn't smell like it usually does. Also got a light orange color to it. And quaffing the first glass of the Pale I kegged the other day; really impressed with this one, beautiful light amber color, hops played nice, and the home-caramelized crystal gives it a kick.

Just finished cleaning up from 10 g Raging Red batch.
Sippin on a Hopwork Orange. Football, food and maybe a nap!
Cheers, havent brewed for a couple months...Good to get my feet wet, literally. lol
20190908_082133.jpeg
20190908_082059.jpeg
20190908_114704.jpeg

Yesterday brewed a single malt 14 lbs 2-row and 1oz Magnum at FWH and 1oz Citra at flameout and 15 min stand. Whirlpooled and chilled to 64F and pitched a yeast cake, WLP 001 California Ale, decanted and pitched from fridge. 6 hrs later, bloop. Got up this AM and it is happily blooping away. Lovely sound. Sampled the Blueberry ale I made 2 weeks ago. Nice color, a bit on the dry side. low carbonation, more like a cask ale and it does taste better at about 55F. Nice
Blueberry finish on the back of the tongue. good thing I kept notes!.

1567466011659.jpg

Planning to do my american porter. It's my most tried and true recipe, so no worries there, but this batch is slated for a competition in a couple months.

Back