So I'm running a beer seminar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Next saturday, I'm having a small get-together, myself, SWMBO, and 6 friends. Everybody's pitching in $25 and I'm supplying samples of 25 different beers! It's going to be a long night.

At first it was going to be beers around the world, but then I thought about it and decided to focus on awesome beers... then I thought some more and decided to do "beer styles" instead since that's really the easiest way to explain the world of beer. Everyone is pretty excited about it, I'll be giving a brief introduction to each beer, 2-6 sentences, discuss the style, nothing too in depth, if they remember one thing about each beer it would be amazing enough. This isn't college. I'm trying to stick with traditional manufacturers (IPA from England, Barleywine from USA, Hefeweizen from Germany, etc). I'm trying to grab as many beers as I can that nobody's ever had before, but also trying to avoid getting things so obscure that the guests won't be able to find them again on their own.

Samples will be about 3 ounces. There will be food and smokes between the session to keep things fresh and interesting.

Here's what I have so far... they are intended to be introductions to the style... feel free to comment...

SESSION ONE: The European Brewing Tradition

Spaten- Munich Helles (talk about the german beer tradition)
Franziskaner Hefeweizen- Hefeweizen (talk about another german style, wheat as used in brewing)
German Rauchbier
Also included in this round (hopefully) are: Spaten Optimator (Doppelbock), Victory Brewing's Prima Pils (because I can't find a Pilsner Urquell that isn't skunked); Midas Touch (For history of beer discussion), some dunkel weizen, also Aventinus weizenbock maybe??

SESSION TWO- English Brewing tradition

Young's Special London Ale- ESB (talk about the english, bitters, special bitters, and ESB's)
Samuel Smith Imperial Stout (no other stout is included in this tasting, so I'm going with the imperial; talk about the history of stouts and the "Imperial" designation)
Bellhaven Draught- Scottish Ale
Also in this session, I will pick up Hobgoblin (would that be considered a brown ale?). I also want a traditional IPA. Any recommendations?

SESSION THREE- Disneyland of beers
Lindeman's Framboise- Lambic; it's easy to find and something that people will relate to easily.
Trois Pistoles- Belgian Dark (from Canada!)
Also in this round will be a Chimay, probably Grand Reserve. Discuss the trappist tradition perhaps with Rochefort 8. Also probably Delirium Tremens- Strong Belgian Blonde. Also probably Brasserie de Musketiers Troubador- Farmhouse Ale (another wilder beer, though not belgian).

SESSION FOUR and FIVE- The New American Brewing Tradition
Mama Mia- Pizza Beer
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
I have none of these beers picked out yet, but I'm thinking SNPA, Anchor Steam, Avery Hog's Heaven Barleywine, some light American wheat, an Amber, and an American IPA.

sittingturbo said:
Where are you located? Sounds fun.

I'm in Aurora, just an hour from Chicago... of course, this is just among friends, but if it's well received, I will probably run other ones with different, more focused themes... If I charge about $3 more per person, it can cover my cost and I can drink for free! :)

A Deuchars IPA or Greene King IPA would be perfect for your traditional IPA, but I don't know if you can get them here. Deuchars on cask in Edinburgh is a magical thing.

Goose Island's oatmeal stout is much more of an appropriate American beer than the bourbon county, imo.

sonetlumiere85 said:
Goose Island's oatmeal stout is much more of an appropriate American beer than the bourbon county, imo.

Educate me. Is Oatmeal Stout an American Style?

I agree the BCS is an odd beer, I thought I'd throw it in there because I have a dozen or so lying around and it's an interesting radical beer. Maybe I should save it for a more appropriate tasting.

fifelee said:
A Deuchars IPA or Greene King IPA would be perfect for your traditional IPA, but I don't know if you can get them here. Deuchars on cask in Edinburgh is a magical thing.

I'll take a look. Thanks.

Maybe people are throwing out opinions on this because I haven't been providing any beer pr0n......

Here's the first half of the beers... a couple of them, such as the Spaten Munich Helles and Blueberry Lager are things I had laying around which may or may not be included in the final lineup. Yum!

beer_tasting_1.jpg

Sir Humpsalot said:
...BCS is an odd beer, ...I have a dozen or so lying around and it's an interesting radical beer...

Feel free to send me a few spares. I loved the one you sent for SS.

I'd agree that as long as anything you offer is readily available, locally, you're fine.

May go with the "entry level" pale ales if this is a stepping stone for people to try new styles.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Mama Mia- Pizza Beer

Tell me you're kidding about that one ... You getting it from Payton's?

I know the line-up is set, but you could always do "local" which might be a little better because then it's beers your friends could go out and sample with a new appreciation at another time.

Rock Bottom
Two Brothers Brewing
Lunar Brewing
Three Floyds
Not so close
Bells/Kalamazoo Brewing

srm775 said:
Tell me you're kidding about that one ... You getting it from Payton's?

The pizza beer is available at Prisco's grocery store, just down the block from me. $2 for a 16oz bottle, can't be beat.

And no, I'm not kidding. The tasting is supposed to be fun, it's supposed to encourage people to get into beer styles. Now, they may not walk out of there being able to tell a porter from a stout, but they sure as hell will be able to tell a pizza beer from an SNPA. :cross:

I know the line-up is set, but you could always do "local" which might be a little better because then it's beers your friends could go out and sample with a new appreciation at another time.

Rock Bottom
Two Brothers Brewing
Lunar Brewing
Three Floyds
Not so close
Bells/Kalamazoo Brewing

The line up isn't totally set. I only have half the beers and I'm always looking for good suggestions. I can't stand rock bottom. What I've had from Two Brothers on tap has been amazing, but I haven't found that any of their beers really do that well in bottles. I've tried three of them in bottles and have been disappointed every time.

Three Floyd's Gumballhead is pretty good for an American Wheat. I might search that one out...

Bell's is kind of out because I don't think their distribution is quite set yet in Chicago since their pull out about a year ago. But I'll look around.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sir Humpsalot said:
... What I've had from Two Brothers on tap has been amazing, but I haven't found that any of their beers really do that well in bottles. ...
Try the Hop Juice bomber bottles and Cane & Ebel in 4-pack bottles. Pretty good stuff, IMO. OTOH, you can get a growler of any of their beers fresh at their Tap House.

Bobby_M said:
I'd want to get something like a DFH 60 or Stone IPA in the Americans..

I like both of those suggestions, but I need a third one. I keep eyeing the DFH 60 and thinking it'd be a good beer to have. The only thing holding me back is that I'm planning on getting their Midas Touch and I'm trying to avoid repeating the same brewery... I mean, with all the variety out there, I just don't think there's a need. Besides, I have a corny-full of Yoopers DFH60 clone that will be available after the event. :ban:

I would snatch up the stone IPA in a heartbeat, but I don't believe I can get that out here in Illinois.

Got any other good American IPA suggestions, Bobby?

Sounds like a great time! I recommend laying off the smokes and spicy food if you want folks to really taste the differences in the beers. I also recommend going from lighter to heavier/hoppier beers as well.

Whatever you do, don't start off with a bottle of Stone Ruination. :D

Have fun!

Sir Humpsalot said:
Bell's is kind of out because I don't think their distribution is quite set yet in Chicago since their pull out about a year ago. But I'll look around.
They're distributing to Chicago under the Kalamazoo Brewing label. Not sure about bottles, but you could always get growlers (might be easier).

Like Rhoobarb mentioned, get growlers ... that way you keep the growlers. When I was at Two Bothers the other week, all of their beers (except their standards) were imperials. Try a couple growlers of Hop Juice, and a 4 pack of Cane & Ebel. They also have their new seasonal on tap now.

You could also through in a few other "not quite local" breweries like New Glarus Brewing. You could also get Payton's (real local). I think Woodman's is supposed to have a really good selection of beers, I'd try there.

P.S. - I'll keep an eye out for my invitation.

Thanks for the tips, SRM and Rhoobarb... I'm hitting Binny's and Sams Wine and Spirits today, so I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for somewhere there...

I'm really excited about this. I actually wish I had somebody to do something similar for me when I was first getting into beer. I mean, they are going to basically taste almost every major style out there.

EdWort said:
Sounds like a great time! I recommend laying off the smokes and spicy food if you want folks to really taste the differences in the beers. I also recommend going from lighter to heavier/hoppier beers as well.

Whatever you do, don't start off with a bottle of Stone Ruination. :D

Have fun!

Good advice. Also, you could consider a rest period in between as you move into different phases and serve a bit of something that will 'cleanse' the palate.

I think you should switch out your hef in session one, both Schneider Weisse original and their Edel Weisse (organic) are IMO far far far superior to that brew, and I probably down one or the other at least bi-weekly
and for the IPA, check this out:
http://www.meantimebrewing.com/ipa.html
it is a historical British recipe from the inception of the IPA

just my .02

-ander

I really like this idea. I've been pondering something like this myself for some time but I've had trouble deciding on how to do it. I've collected dozens of beers in my travels around the states and would like to share with others but feel weird about throwing a party and charging people to come. I was also pondering the idea of having people bring "assigned" beers to help even out the costs for me a bit. Either way I'm sure people won't mind however I do it. Keep us posted on how it goes. :mug:

dblvsn said:
I really like this idea. I've been pondering something like this myself for some time but I've had trouble deciding on how to do it. I've collected dozens of beers in my travels around the states and would like to share with others but feel weird about throwing a party and charging people to come. I was also pondering the idea of having people bring "assigned" beers to help even out the costs for me a bit. Either way I'm sure people won't mind however I do it. Keep us posted on how it goes. :mug:

SWMBO said she felt funny about charging too, but I look at it this way: I can't afford to drop $200 on beer- and that IS what I will spend. I'm just not financially in a position to do that and neither is anybody else who is going to be there- there's no way anybody could afford to buy 25 beers, drink a couple ounces, and dump the rest, just to have a great one night experience. And, even if they could afford it, what are they going to do? Hire a beer expert to come in and talk to them about the beers? Read a book about beer while they drink the beers? For $25, this is an "event" for beer drinkers. This is something that can't be done unless a group of people get together and unanimously say, "Yeah, we want to do this!" The cost is similar to a movie, or a dinner, or a night at the bar, or anything else you might do on a friday or saturday night- it's not like I'm asking them to sacrifice to pay me. It's what they'd pay for anything else they'd be doing.

I'm rambling on, but I'm not defensive about it... it just makes too much sense. There are people who weren't interested in attending- they don't like beer that much. That's the other GOOD thing about charging. I don't want somebody coming because it's a "social event" and they want to hang out and get drunk on my expensive beer. I want people who are going to be committed to actually wanting to sample. Sure, this is supposed to be friendly and laid-back, I'm not going to be a total pour-nazi, but in order for something like this to work, people have to be seriously committed to wanting to "sample", not just hang out and drink beer. And I think the "cover charge" adequately scares away the people who aren't interested in the concept. To put it another way, my choices were this:

1. Deliberately not invite people and risk that they might find out and be offended that they weren't invited... or else...

2. I could open it up to everybody and tell them it's $25. People who don't really care about beer are going to immediately say, "thanks, but no thanks", but at least be happy that they were invited. People who love and appreciate beer, and will truly appreciate your efforts, will fork over the cash.

In a sense, it's just a way of separating out the annoying people who are going to ruin your party from the enthusiastic beer lovers. I think the second option is far more friendly and open. At least I'm not the one excluding people... they're excluding themselves because it's not something they think they'd like. That's cool, isn't it? It's really a nice way, IMHO, to avoid hurt feelings.

You could invite friends and assign each one to bring a certain sixpack. That will spread the costs and reduce yours considerably. Everyone contributes by bringing a sixer.

EdWort said:
You could invite friends and assign each one to bring a certain sixpack. That will spread the costs and reduce yours considerably. Everyone contributes by bringing a sixer.

In the future I will, but in this one instance, I really wanted to hand-select the beers to get a certain historic mix. Because it's a style-driven get together, I wanted more control. In the future, your way makes a lot of sense... but now really, if it weren't a beer nut picking out the beers, would u really expect to see a line up like this?

:fro: :fro: :fro:

beer_tasting_2.jpg

sorry it's not too clear... here's the list, assorted by tasting region, but not arranged in order of presentation...

Dogfish Head - Midas Touch
Rodenbach - Sour Ale
Chimay - Grand Reserve
Unibroue - Trois Pistoles
Lindemans - Framboise Lambic
Brooklyn Brewery - Local 1
Brasserie Grain d'Orge - Belzebuth

Franziskaner - Hefeweizen
Aventinus - Wheat Doppelbock
Victory Brewing - Prima Pils
Weltenburger - Hefeweizen Dunkel
Hurliman Brewery - Samichlaus
Aecht Schlenkerla - Rauchbier Urbock
Spaten - Munich Helles

Rogue - Juniper Beer
Bellhaven - Scottish Ale
Young's - London Ale
Samuel Smith - Imperial Stout
Goose Island - IPA (to contrast with the English IPA)
Meantime IPA (thanks for the suggestion on that one!)

SNPA
Goose Island 312
Anchor Steam Lager
Mama Mia! Pizza Beer
Founder's - Red Rye
Wild Blue - Blueberry Lager
Avery - Hog's Heaven

Now I just need to keep my grubby hands off until Saturday!!! It's killing me!!!!

I like your lineup, and I love the idea! What a great way to experience a lot of styles and brews while keeping your wits somewhat about you. How long do you expect this event to last? 75+ oz of reasonably strong beer is enough to ruin my palate if I drink that much in less than about two hours. Spread across 3-4 hours, a few breaks, perhaps a cigar, and some great conversation, it'd be awesome!

Yuri_Rage said:
I like your lineup, and I love the idea! What a great way to experience a lot of styles and brews while keeping your wits somewhat about you. How long do you expect this event to last? 75+ oz of reasonably strong beer is enough to ruin my palate if I drink that much in less than about two hours. Spread across 3-4 hours, a few breaks, perhaps a cigar, and some great conversation, it'd be awesome!

We'll do it on saturday, tasting 2100-0100 with another hour at the front and back end for folks to gather, meet each other, chat, have a beer, whatever. Bear in mind we're all either second shift workers or else young party-goers so the later hours work for us.

If weather permits, we'll grill. If it doesn't (will probably be cold), we'll kick the propane heater on in the garage and let folks light up whatever they got in there... cigars, pipes, cigs, whatever...

Tastings will be done in the kitchen with a bucket of starsan available to rinse the glasses

Can you get Ommegang in Illinois? Their Hennepin is an excellent example of a saison. I think you're missing a witbier in your Belgian section. Of course, I would recommend Hoegaarden for that one.

Using Victory's Prima Pils is an excellent choice. Many people say it's the best Pilsner you can get in the US. Even better then the imports since they get destroyed from shipping.

adx said:
Can you get Ommegang in Illinois? Their Hennepin is an excellent example of a saison. I think you're missing a witbier in your Belgian section. Of course, I would recommend Hoegaarden for that one.

Using Victory's Prima Pils is an excellent choice. Many people say it's the best Pilsner you can get in the US. Even better then the imports since they get destroyed from shipping.

Indeed, I am missing a wit and a Saison. And yes, I can get Ommegang. I was actually really tempted when I was there, but hadn't researched the brand and didn't know which one to get.... Did you notice I'm missing a brown ale too? LOL Back to the booze shop I guess... :ban:

DeathBrewer said:
isn't that the dunkelweizen??

Zut Alors!!! Damn good catch! (and damn my failing eyes). I guess I'll just have to drink them before company arrives and go and pick up a few more beers. :drunk:

I've actually been to two parties like this (one as a guest, one as a host) and they were both fun as hell. Be sure to make sure everyone can get home safe though...people get drunk faster than you'd anticipate.

To throw some of my experiences out there:
1) Going from light to dark styles is a must (as it looks like you are accomodating that fairly well).
2) Anchor Steam & Sam Smith's Lager were the big favorites last time
3) When we do it, everyone just brings 6 different bottles of beer of their choosing (1 of each)-- usually you can find a store (Like 'Total Wine') that sells beer bottles individually. Although, I like pitching in money just as much cause you can use your expertise to make sure you don't get any crappy beers that people pick for a funny name or label.

Enjoy-- the first party I went to like this is what started my love for beer and eventually homebrewing!

Wit ... you'd have to go with the classic hoegarrden. although I think the seasonal for two brothers is a wit (monastery white), but I'm not sure.

do you have an alt or kolsch? One of those would be good, since alt beer is the most dominent beer in Germany.

Given you're in Illinois, you should be able to get Bell's beers, right? I would recommend the Two Hearted Ale as an IPA - it's midwestern and a great representation of the balance of malt and hops for an IPA style.

Everytime I compare it to another American IPA, it wins hands down for me and my friends.

leghorn said:
Given you're in Illinois, you should be able to get Bell's beers, right? I would recommend the Two Hearted Ale as an IPA - it's midwestern and a great representation of the balance of malt and hops for an IPA style.

Everytime I compare it to another American IPA, it wins hands down for me and my friends.

Bell's had a falling out with their illinois distributor. They will be distributing again under the Kalamazoo Brewery(?) label, but as of yet, I have not had a sighting of any such thing.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Bell's had a falling out with their illinois distributor. They will be distributing again under the Kalamazoo Brewery(?) label, but as of yet, I have not had a sighting of any such thing.

I know you can get it on tap at John's Buffet and Chef Paul's ... not sure about in bottles though.

Looks like a great line up and I like the idea - if it's available in your area another American IPA that is really good is Mojo from Boulder Brewing.

You need a Wit for the Belgians!

Oh, I see now someone beat me to it.

Hoegaarden is the obvious candidate, Blanche de Bruxelles is good...

Woohoo... wow. Haven't had a night like that in awhile. It was fun. I also learned a few lessons.

We got a late start due a few factors that were out of my control. We made it through well more than half the beers which was pretty good though by the end it was getting difficult to taste much of anything. When I saw the goal would not be reached, I started picking and choosing from the shelves of beer, selecting things that had more flavor, that might cut through the buzz.

It was cool, everybody had a good time, and there's still some beers left for another night, so I'm thinking folks will be invited back over.

If I had to do it over again, I'd limit the beers to one country or one group of styles (i.e., "Summer Beers"). Then, if folks want more than that, they can select from a couple of micros or HB...

Back