Need stir plate wiring help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I'm building my first stir plate. Got everything together and a few wiring schematics. I'm running into an issue with wiring in my on/off rocker switch. For reference here is the schematic I was using:
ntm5tav.jpg

My problem is that wiring schematic has three contact points on the rocker switch. My switch only has two and they aren't marked. See:
IhNp0bm.jpg

8lPjwbc.jpg

I tried wiring it up last night and it seemed to work, except I had them wired backwards (fan ran when it was OFF and did not run when ON).

Side note: I need to snag another wall wart for power. When I got it wired up last night I noticed a tad bit of smoke coming out of the power supply. It could just be that I had it wired incorrectly. If not, no worries I've got plenty wall warts lying around.

How about just skipping the switch all together? When you want to turn off the fan just unplug the wall wart.

That schematic is using the third terminal on the switch as a convenience terminal and to short the positive and negative on the fan (as a means of dynamic breaking...) A very bad idea, since accidentally hooking the positive to the center terminal rather than the bottom would short circuit the power supply.

Connect the black fan wire directly to the black power supply wire, and wire everything else as shown thru the two terminal switch.
You'll have on/off and speed (by variable voltage) but no dynamic braking.

Thanks everyone. Wired it up last night using the new schematic (like @brew38 suggested) and it was working just fine. Thanks guys.

Back