How much will priming sugar change my final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_lupo

Reaction score
So I messed up and forgot to take my final gravity reading before I added priming sugar! I added 5 OZ priming sugar to a little less then 5 gallons. My starting OG was 1.053 and my final was 1.021. I hoping that the priming sugar bumped that up because it should have ended around 1.014. What do you guys thing my alcohol content is?

This is a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) but I would think that 5 oz. of corn sugar might raise your gravity 2 or 3 points. Now if it wasn't mixed thoroughly you could have some portions of the beer that would have higher gravity.
It's kinda hard to say what the alcohol content is in your beer. At this point it is probably best to just relax and enjoy it.:mug:

You're still off. 5 oz would have an impact of maybe 0.002 on the gravity. Are you sure fermentation was done?

You're probably around 4.3% ABV. I'd be more worried about the fermentation not being done than anything else, though - that can be dangerous.

EDIT: I got my estimate by adding 5oz corn sugar to a recipe I'm working on, that was the impact it had on the estimated OG; figure that's a decent estimation.

WRONG!!! Priming sugar will all ferment away, adding nothing to the F, FG. It will however add CO2 and alcohol to the beer. Lesseee, 5 oz of sugar compared to 8 pounds in the wort... 4% additional sugar, so 4% added alcohol, 4% of 6% is ummm... .oo2% additional alcohol. Which no hydrometer will ever show as changed FG in the conditioned beer.

Well, sorry, but your answer doesn't answer the question. Technically you're right, but that doesn't do the original poster any good, he needed to know how much to adjust his gravity reading for having added in the priming sugar.

I have some real experimental data to add to this discussion.

I brewed a Hefe three weeks ago. It was in the the primary for all 21 days and I wasn't sure if the fermentation was truly done. The krausen had all gone away but the airlock still burped one bubble every 90 seconds or so, maybe more.

OG was 1.050
FG as measured over a three day period was steady at 1.012 (just .001 over the target for the recipe, so it is probably done fermenting).

Today I took another gravity reading after racking it to the bottling bucket and adding 3/4 cup boiled corn sugar. The gravity was 1.014, exactly .002 over on precisely 5 gallons.

So there ya go...

I have some real experimental data to add to this discussion.

I brewed a Hefe three weeks ago. It was in the the primary for all 21 days and I wasn't sure if the fermentation was truly done. The krausen had all gone away but the airlock still burped one bubble every 90 seconds or so, maybe more.

OG was 1.050
FG as measured over a three day period was steady at 1.012 (just .001 over the target for the recipe, so it is probably done fermenting).

Today I took another gravity reading after racking it to the bottling bucket and adding 3/4 cup boiled corn sugar. The gravity was 1.014, exactly .002 over on precisely 5 gallons.

So there ya go...

I know this thread is long dead, but I came upon it and don't understand why the answer isn't closer to .0075 or .008. 5oz of sugar is 142 g or so. Adding this to 17-19 liters of beer should up the total mass by 7.5-8.3 grams per liter with a nominal impact on the total volume of liquid. Anyone interested in revisiting this?

Entering 5oz of table sugar into a Brewsmith recipe seems to bump the Estimated original gravity by .003 or so which is certainly closer to the experimental result. Where am I making my error?

One pound of corn sugar (or cane) adds 46 gravity points (.046) to one gallon.
If you have 5 oz of corn sugar and 5 gallons of beer:

5oz sugar = .3125 lbs
.3125 lbs x .046 points per pound per gallon = 0.014375
0.014375 points per gallon / 5 gallons = 0.002875 overall gravity points

5 oz of corn sugar in 5 gallons of beer will add about .003 to the fg if you take the reading after you add the sugar.

Thank you to all who posted on this. I know this post is uber old but it helped me quite a bit. I pulled a noob moment and did the same thing. :mug:

Same here, I couldn't find my hydrometer so I had to skip and bottle as I was on a time limit. Some of these old threads are priceless for us noobs! :mug:

I agree. Very helpful info, even if it's an old post.

So I was making a cherry stout using a cherry extract...well I forgot to measure before priming sugar addition AND before adding my 4oz. Cherry stout. I am assuming I can find the mat like beargrylls demonstrated, but was wondering if anyone had info on how much I may have spiked my FG

Back