How best to preserve an opened package of dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverDie

Reaction score
I've read that once I open a package of dry yeast, it's only good for 7 days. What should I do if I want to preserve it for longer than that (say 3 months, which would be the lifespan of an opened liquid yeast preserved in a refrigerator)?

And cheap? I'd more wonder why you'd want to save dry yeast. Are we talking huge bags bought in bulk? Can't see any reason why I wouldn't just pitch the whole bag.

If I know I'm only gonna use a portion of the yeast (very small batch or mixing strains), I make a straight cut across the top with a sanitized scissors and then fold it over neatly, then place a bag clip or paper clip over it. Tape or clothespins (though large) also work.

And cheap? I'd more wonder why you'd want to save dry yeast. Are we talking huge bags bought in bulk? Can't see any reason why I wouldn't just pitch the whole bag.
Meh, it's all relative. So, sure, if you're pitching bread yeast, I can understand you saying that. As a counter-example, though, Nottingham yeast is 11g per packet, which is a lot if all you need is a little, and it's not exactly cheap either.

Waste not, want not.

Last edited:
Can't see any reason why I wouldn't just pitch the whole bag.

If you make only 5 gallon batches that packet of yeast is about the right size. What if you are making a one gallon batch? Now you have 5 times the proper amount of yeast. That isn't the ideal situation so the small batch brewer pitches just a part of the packet and either throws out the rest or save it for the next batch.

If you make only 5 gallon batches that packet of yeast is about the right size. What if you are making a one gallon batch? Now you have 5 times the proper amount of yeast. That isn't the ideal situation so the small batch brewer pitches just a part of the packet and either throws out the rest or save it for the next batch.

^^^This.

My typical batch size is only around 5 or 6 cups in a half-gallon size mason jar (so there's room for the Kveik's to foam away for instance). That's because I'm very new to all this and I'm running about 20 or so experiments in parallel, mostly with a lot of different yeasts so I can quickly narrow down which yeasts and which formulations I like. I don't actually even drink very much. I expect most of them will get dumped in the end and then there will be another 20 or so experiments to follow up to iterate on those results, and so on and so on until I get it more and more dialed in. Plus, some of these yeasts I can only use while my garage is cool, and then I'll have to store them until next winter.

Last edited:
I generally use about 3.5g for a one gallon batch. Then vacuum seal the rest and throw it in the garage/beer fridge. I get 3 batches out of one dry packet of yeast. I could probably use less than 3.5g but its just what I do.

I generally use about 3.5g for a one gallon batch. Then vacuum seal the rest and throw it in the garage/beer fridge. I get 3 batches out of one dry packet of yeast. I could probably use less than 3.5g but its just what I do.
Thanks for your comment. What kind of vacuum sealer apparatus do you have? Maybe I should look into that too for these fermented beverages as well as for the yeast.

Thanks for your comment. What kind of vacuum sealer apparatus do you have? Maybe I should look into that too for these fermented beverages as well as for the yeast.

I have a Food Saver V3460. No idea how old it is, but at least 5 years. Don’t know if they even offer that model anymore. I use it to seal yeast, hops, deer meat and sausage when I process deer and meat when I buy it in bulk.

Back